Dynadot

.6 of a second domain register snipe

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mastero

Impact
Hello,

I am pretty new, I have tried searching the forum. I could not find the answer I was looking for directly so decided to make my first post.

Now before, I get started, I have been in the tech scene for a bit of time and understand how domain buying etc works and drop catching etc. I'm not a total n00b.

So I found a really short .co.uk that I wanted to purchase and it was on the expired domain list.

The domain expired on 2023-04-22 at Time= 07:54:42 and at 2023-04-22 Time = 07:54:42.0636 the domain was registered buy a domain catcher / sniper.

Thats .06 of a second they had managed to buy the domain. Registered and competed the transaction.

How the hell did they manage to register the domain within 0.6 of a second. Are they running a python script? It was them who registered it directly, you cant use a .co.uk domain catching service I dont think.... so, Im just wondering how they did it... if anyone has had any experience of running such a script etc.

Im gutted about the domain name but they have listed it for sale for $50,000... so its well out with my remit now...

I wanted the name, as it was my daughters name.... gutted.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I can assure you domain catchers are very active on the UK domain scene. They know the catchment time and employ scripts just like any others.

Trying to get a UK First name by hand registration is impossible. Occasionally you might get lucky with the .org.uk. I managed to hand-reg my deceased wifes first name Sue some time back in org.uk. Sadly I don't have the heart to develop it and use my facebook page to keep her memory alive

There are plans for Nominet to be active drop auctioneers themselves, So in effect NO real drops for pre-bid domains (just a registration date reset) It may be even already be place as a pre-drop process.
acorndomains would be the best place to find out

Last edited:
•••
Hi @mastero , welcome to domaining.

If it makes you feel any better, you never had a chance. Most people run very sophisticated scripts, polling the Nominet servers multiple times per millisecond.

They also have their own Nominet "tags" (IPS tag) which enable them to do so.

That being said, there are some public UK backordering services you could try:

Dropped.uk
Dropcatchin.co.uk
Dropcatcher.co.uk
CatchTiger.com
etc.

All the best
Pierre

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back