IT.COM

new gtlds $5 billion e-commerce site to dump .com for dot-brand

NameSilo
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The web site voyages-sncf.com will become oui.sncf in November, the company has confirmed following press reports at the weekend.
The new domain, oui.sncf, is already online. It currently redirects to an FAQ about the rebrand, at the .com site
While ICANN’s new gTLD program produced hundreds of dot-brands, only a handful to date have moved substantially away from their original domains...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Any brand would dump that domain. I wonder why did they even use that?!

•••
think we will see more of this in the coming years

•••
If they can afford their own namespace - then why not?
Why should they make 'promotion' for .com instead of 'promoting' their own TLD?
We have 2017, it has logic.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Worth noting that they also own and use sncf.com (not sure if a parent company or what exactly) but it is in use. But European companies tend not to put as much weight into domain name quality as the US.

Maybe not the most effective, or cost effective way to market itself, but persay a music agency called "empire" who manage many entertainers. They could do something like U2.empire, BonJovi.empire, etc. I can't say this is a great idea imo but it's one of very few reasons for a company to use a .brand. If you can afford $180k to start a new extension then you can afford all but the 0.1% of domain names

•••
Their rebranding of TGV to "Inoui" has been met with derision and skepticism in France. Throwing a new TLD on top of that sounds like a very bold marketing experiment :)
voyages-sncf.com itself has long been a laughing stock, contrast that to Germany's bahn.de for example (a pure generic).

Not sure this one is going to stick for long. At this point it's a redirect and not even a standalone website. If they start advertising oui.sncf I wonder how many people will know it's a URL ?

•••
the French are crazy, as they always been... love you guys :)

voyages-sncf.com vs oui.sncf... i honestly can't choose which is worse between the two

•••
•••
why wouldn't they just use

Voyages.sncf

one bad name replaced by another

•••
•••
They'd have been a lot better off just regging a decent .com

•••
This is a complete marketing failure. It happens, Pepsi still makes huge marketing mistakes after 100+ years of operation.

Even if gTLDs suddenly reversed their complete failure and started becoming a popular choice across all of business, still that is not what is happening TODAY.

Plan for the future, but give your target audience an easy way to get to your website today.

oui.sncf
ouis.ncf
oui.com
sncf.sncf
oui.fr
..... where am I?

•••
Why don't they use .fr? This makes no sense.

It seems that they use the dot com as well: http://www.sncf.com/

•••
My bank (BNP Paribas) already redirected bnpparibas.com to group.bnpparibas

•••
My bank (BNP Paribas) already redirected bnpparibas.com to group.bnpparibas
Good example, I can only say (write) again:
Why should they featuring
.com (and even pay for it) instead of featuring their own TLD if they can afford it? This would make no sense!

Last edited:
•••

oui.sncf
ouis.ncf
oui.com
sncf.sncf
oui.fr
..... where am I?

That's just your own dramatization - the majority of people don't have a problem to remember a domain, no matter which TLD.

Last edited:
•••
Come on guys - it's obvious why they do it. The overheads department saves $8.50, and the marketing department has to pay for the admin of the TLD. This sort of logic has been prevalent in governments for years. Now that central banks are buying shares like mad to try to avoid a stock market crash, we can expect more of these types of "savings". :)

•••
Good example, I can only say (write) again:
Why should they featuring
.com (and even pay for it) instead of featuring their own TLD if they can afford it? This would make no sense!

I agree with you :)
There are other companies which prefer to redirect some of their sub ".com" domains to their brand: Jobs.Orange.com => Jobs.Orange ...

•••
I agree with you :)
There are other companies which prefer to redirect some of their sub ".com" domains to their brand: Jobs.Orange.com => Jobs.Orange ...

Many examples, yes - but in your mentioned one, they are redirecting not to an .orange brand TLD (don't know if this TLD exists) but to the .jobs TLD.

Last edited:
•••
Many examples, yes - but in your mentioned one, they are redirecting not to an .orange brand TLD (don't know if this TLD exists) but to the .jobs TLD.
You are right it's ".Jobs" and not ".Orange" (I thought it was Jobs.Orange)
Tld ".Orange" exists, you can google site:.orange

Last edited:
•••
Back