Dynadot

news The end of Dot COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Dot COM will always be KING!!!

not%20com%20cloud.png

The Internet's long-restricted virtual real estate market is open for business.

Hundreds of new so-called top-level domains (TLDs) like .photography, .expert and .pizza are available now that the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), which oversees the domain name system, has expanded access to suffixes.

A handful of companies that prepared years ago to take advantage of this land grab are in a position to profit handsomely for years to come.

The new opening will also be a boost for brands looking to strengthen their online presence, but have been thwarted by domain-name squatters charging top dollar for the last remains of the dot-com universe.

Dot-com to .pizza: Welcome to the Web domain rush

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
well, unless the english dictionary expands, adds a few more letters and such, .com value isnt going anywhere but up IMO -- but that doesnt mean that non com's cant be equally as valuable. some gtlds just make me shake my head like..'am i on quaaludes or is the owner of this gtld?' haha

•••
ONLY 18 percent of world population is "Online".

•••
.com = the legend leads....
it will continue to lead until all of less than20 letter domains are sold

•••
"More importantly, companies finally have options and aren't forced to pay ridiculous prices.."

Whoever wrote this article clearly has not done adequate research to understand that the most valuable names in the new tlds are costing upwards of $60,000 per year to register. They do mention that on average most regular names sell for about twice what a .com would cost, but the premium keywords, are still going to cost you a hefty, inflated sum, whether it be the new tld registries themselves (via yearly premium fee) or a private market domain investor.

•••
FastTwitch is a sucky name to begin with... Like really bad. The guy, and his firm, would have been better off by re-branding, i.e. buying an aftermarket name for a couple of thousands. Then that would have been the conversation starter/topic.

•••
The problem with these retarded articles is do they really think there will be enough end users of .PIZZA and .TIRES who are willing to spend $50 a YEAR or much more for so-called premium domains to support an entire registry (such as .PIZZA and .TIRES). WHY ON EARTH would anybody? When anyone can grab a .COM or a .CLUB for $10 a YEAR? It just doesn't make any sense to invest in .PIZZA when it probably won't even survive more than a few years and you're spending a fortune just to own an extremely confusing domain name extension for consumers, which the consumers then have to put the work into recalling.

that is exactly what i was thinking. The ultra killer commercial generic strings that were valuable in .com like pizza.com, vodka.com, diamonds.com don't work well on the right of the dot. There aren't really that many vodka producers or diamond sellers. the new gTLDs are not easy to sell far more difficult in a niche market. Talk about .horse? There isn't enough demand for these extensions to really make them take off.

Last edited:
•••
"More importantly, companies finally have options and aren't forced to pay ridiculous prices.."

Whoever wrote this article clearly has not done adequate research to understand that the most valuable names in the new tlds are costing upwards of $60,000 per year to register. They do mention that on average most regular names sell for about twice what a .com would cost, but the premium keywords, are still going to cost you a hefty, inflated sum, whether it be the new tld registries themselves (via yearly premium fee) or a private market domain investor.

Yeah in fact the new gTLDs have taken squatting to a new level. Now a registry can virtually index anything they want to. Full control over their namespace. Most good keywords were expensive right from the start. Everything that is worth more than reg fee will get squatted sooner or later if it hasn't already.

The only reason why prices haven't exploded yet is because the demand isn't there. If there is demand you will see the prices exploding sooner or later.

•••
I have one thing to say : CTRL+ENTER & SHIFT+ENTER , if the computer manufactures made a shorten buttons for .com and .net , that's have a reason

•••
.COM prices will continue to rise exponentially with the increasing demand.

It will get to a point where the prices of .com will get out of range for most of the people, and the masses will begin diverting to new extension. What will be that extension? Only time will tell.

In my opinion, no one stays the king forever. No one has and no one will.

In that scenario .whatever would be perceived as cheap extension for the masses and .com the real deal that most can't afford but would like to own.

I think .com investors would be very happy if that happened.

•••
Show attachment 12701
okay, if it so, please tell me why Godaddy bought Archeodomains portfolio for $28.1m?
Because they didnt read that mothaf*cka article. Thats why. Hell yeah!

Now godaddy went to a corner that it can easily cry and wont be disturbed by anyone. Are you happy mr.writer of this awesome article?

Last edited:
•••
Because they didnt read that mothaf*cka article. Thats why. Hell yeah!

Now godaddy went to a corner that it can easily cry and wont be disturbed by anyone. Are you happy mr.writer of this awesome article?
YMMD

•••
"It puts an end to the scarcity of dot-com names."

nope.

•••
.com has so much history and years of reinforcement in the psyche of the masses that when someone is told that a website is order.pizza, they will later type in order.pizza.com. Many people's brains are trained to add .com to the end of everything. Like telling someone your email for example, most people say their unique account name @gmail or @yahoo. Almost everyone knows to just add the .com at the end. Word of mouth is best form of advertising for any company and if people get it wrong, that's money lost.

I think the real winners in the introduction of new gtlds are the search engines and advertising agencies. With the addition of similar names, many will have to pay for top placement in order to reach the people that actually wanted to go their site.

•••
These article and this debate is such a waste of time...

•••

Right, it's one of the biggest bait and switch jobs in the internet to date.

•••
I look at it this way - just because there are loads of new tlds, it has very little, if any negative affect on .COM.

Why some people automatically assume that all the competition means doom for com is beyond me.

•••
Hi - I have followed this thread very religiously and I feel that we are missing an important angle here - user/consumer/visitor. What makes an extension/domain popular is he visitor and his/her word of mouth and not the site owner. They are the ones who drive the popularity.

Let me bring up a user scenario. I go driving out, I seen signs for

gocars.com
then I drive further, then I see go.cars
then I see cars.ninja.
Wait a minute, I see cars.agency, or was it agency.cars
then I see autocars.com
then on radio I hear cars.auto
then on TV I see ad for auto.cars

What do yo think is going through my mind. I think I am going cars.nuts!

Do you think I will remember any of these names, so what will be my starting point when I get to my computer? I have couple of options -

i) I can search in google just 'cars' or 'auto' and I will see what Google wants me to see and not what I want to see
ii) type-in directly the site name in browser, where do you think I will start?

I will leave it to you since you are the user!

Last edited:
•••
Whenever I see some bloke from the corner comes up sayin KINGs Dyin!!
I picture this...

end of COM.jpg

•••
Extra Extra... read all about it.....The sky is falling!

99% of all websites i visit(including NamePros.com) are .com. Thats all i need to know to make a common sense decision on whether the sky is falling or not...

•••
.COM Domains are already etched onto the public psyche. I would be amazed if this was to be changed any time soon....

•••
•••
While I do agree with .COM being a ruler in the market, I also think that the new extensions could gather a space, and it's all about marketing.

I.e. I could decide to create a huge network for pizzerias, each of them would have a .pizza domain, and while today it's ridiculous there could be a tomorrow where an extension is not anymore and necessarily a "com" - but something really related to what the domain is for.

I wouldn't be that surprised if in 2025 all pizzerias in the world would be fighting to get their .pizza domain.

•••
.COM will remain the king in coming years, however I agree with @gattoplano new gTLDs will capture small chunk of the market.

•••
.COM will remain the king in coming years, however I agree with @gattoplano new gTLDs will capture small chunk of the market.
I suppose , 2025 will be more of APPs then domains. Domainers will sell apps or related stuff rather than selling domains.
Just my opinion.

•••
I'm not sure - HTML5 webapps are growing in complexity and the two realms will probably keep co-existing. I guess we'll see in ten years :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back