IT.COM

news The end of Dot COM

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Dot COM will always be KING!!!

not%20com%20cloud.png

The Internet's long-restricted virtual real estate market is open for business.

Hundreds of new so-called top-level domains (TLDs) like .photography, .expert and .pizza are available now that the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), which oversees the domain name system, has expanded access to suffixes.

A handful of companies that prepared years ago to take advantage of this land grab are in a position to profit handsomely for years to come.

The new opening will also be a boost for brands looking to strengthen their online presence, but have been thwarted by domain-name squatters charging top dollar for the last remains of the dot-com universe.

Dot-com to .pizza: Welcome to the Web domain rush

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That article has a link blast from the past like it's happening today lol

tel_old.png

•••
•••
Just another article on .com.
You can read all about .com and why it is still KING and will be KING.
Right here on namepros.

•••
fbgfghfdgdfg.jpg

okay, if it so, please tell me why Godaddy bought Archeodomains portfolio for $28.1m?

•••
Notice how every article about "The downfall of .com" sounds as if it was written with a bias point of view, throwing around words like "hoarder" and "squatter"

It's like if someone you turned down for a date had to write an article about you as a person.

•••
Why .com will always be king -

Sometimes on social networks you can enter a URL but not as a link.

For example as the title under your avatar.

When the user sees ChickensAteMyDinner.com they know it is a website. When the user sees ChickensAteMyDinner.xyz they don't necessarily know it is a website.

•••
Plus dot Com just sounds cooler.

•••
I think that .com will still be the pack leader for a while then some new gtlds will gain popularity..maybe the .xyz and some others.

I think that they can easily coexist and one doesn't exclude the other.

•••
.xyz I think is a fad, it doesn't really mean anything. But .blog and .news and .music I predict will survive and see common usage, hopefully being used for content related to the extension.

.rocks and similar might survive too because the extension has marketing value, put the customer into a positive mindset before they click.

We'll see I suppose. A lot of stuff I predict doesn't go the way I predict. If it did I'd be able to afford .rich ;)

•••
Usually articles like that are written because some PR person got ahold of a reporter and gave them a 'story idea'.

Those articles tend to end up looking like promotional pieces aimed at the people not involved in the industry.

Last edited:
•••
.xyz I think is a fad, it doesn't really mean anything. But .blog and .news and .music I predict will survive and see common usage, hopefully being used for content related to the extension.

.rocks and similar might survive too because the extension has marketing value, put the customer into a positive mindset before they click.

We'll see I suppose. A lot of stuff I predict doesn't go the way I predict. If it did I'd be able to afford .rich ;)

dude somebody needs to do a kickstart though for your .rich idea

•••
The problem with these retarded articles is do they really think there will be enough end users of .PIZZA and .TIRES who are willing to spend $50 a YEAR or much more for so-called premium domains to support an entire registry (such as .PIZZA and .TIRES). WHY ON EARTH would anybody? When anyone can grab a .COM or a .CLUB for $10 a YEAR? It just doesn't make any sense to invest in .PIZZA when it probably won't even survive more than a few years and you're spending a fortune just to own an extremely confusing domain name extension for consumers, which the consumers then have to put the work into recalling.

•••
let's see... was that company's domain name papajohns.piz or papajohns.pizzas or papajohns.pizza or papajohns.pizzapie or papajohns.pizza.com? thinks the consumer LOL

•••
The problem with these retarded articles is do they really think there will be enough end users of .PIZZA and .TIRES who are willing to spend $50 a YEAR or much more for so-called premium domains to support an entire registry (such as .PIZZA and .TIRES).
?? Not sure anyone writing these types of 'retarded' article(s), really thinks about or cares about (or even why they should), how many or how much endusers spend on a domain or two, to support an entire registry! Seems that would be of a concern of the actual registry themselves, not a writers or an endusers concern. And least us not forget, $50 a year for a business to rent a domain, is not a big expense at all! Network Solutions has proven that for years! Heck, phone numbers cost a lot more a month. The only people that are 'affected' by $50 yearly domains, are domainers who want to reg many more than one or two domains.

•••
Why .com will always be king -

Sometimes on social networks you can enter a URL but not as a link.

For example as the title under your avatar.

When the user sees ChickensAteMyDinner.com they know it is a website. When the user sees ChickensAteMyDinner.xyz they don't necessarily know it is a website.
thats a bit of a fallacy tbh. Not everybody alive right knows what a "dotcom" is. Likewise, as the new domains take off, more people will become to understand .xyz etc is a alternative for .com / .net etc. Likewise, not everybody alive will understand what a .xyz etc is. And that is why dotcom may not always be king.

•••
Speaking from your experience?

•••
thats a bit of a fallacy tbh. Not everybody alive right knows what a "dotcom" is. Likewise, as the new domains take off, more people will become to understand .xyz etc is a alternative for .com / .net etc. Likewise, not everybody alive will understand what a .xyz etc is. And that is why dotcom may not always be king.

Sorry, but that's wrong. It's basic math. Let me know when xyz even hits 1% of a .com. If you say may not be king, then you must have in mind what will be. So which one is going to top 117 million and rising every day?

Reading the article and fasttwitch

"he's encountered some frustrations in being an early adopter"

"Consumers, like machines, have to adapt to an all new Internet. Millions of new sites are certain to create some level of chaos and abuse."

"It's a conversation piece"

Yeah, not too bright. He'll probably pay a lot more long term than he would have coughed up for the .com. All that could have been avoided. But the world is full of people that don't think things thru and they become a part of some article, used as some example.

Last edited:
•••
James Merder just spend the money and buy FastTwitch.com,get rid of Fasttwitch.training. .poormarketing

•••
.xyz is a complete joke... Almost 1m registrations.... Makes me laugh...

•••
I don't know if it was local expression or not, but when young, xyz is what we would tell someone who forgot to zip their zipper after restroom.

•••
I don't know if it was local expression or not, but when young, xyz is what we would tell someone who forgot to zip their zipper after restroom.

Yep. XYZ = examine your zipper.

This is a good reason why .COM is not dead. New start ups still choose .COM at much higher rates than every other extension combined.

http://dngeek.com/2015/05/newly-funded-startups-and-their-domain-names-week-20/

Many of the ones who don't will upgrade to a high quality .COM later.

Brad

•••
.COM prices will continue to rise exponentially with the increasing demand.

It will get to a point where the prices of .com will get out of range for most of the people, and the masses will begin diverting to new extension. What will be that extension? Only time will tell.

In my opinion, no one stays the king forever. No one has and no one will.

•••
.COM prices will continue to rise exponentially with the increasing demand.

It will get to a point where the prices of .com will get out of range for most of the people, and the masses will begin diverting to new extension. What will be that extension? Only time will tell.

In my opinion, no one stays the king forever. No one has and no one will.

Yes I agree, some of the gTLDs will see significant use in the future.

Right now I use .io that way - when .com is taken, often .io is available and a lot cheaper than buying from whoever has the .com.

Some of the gTLD registries need to mature though, www [dot] nic [dot] tld is suppose to give technical information about the TLD but a lot of these new ones forward to a marketing page that is hard to find the technical info (e.g. restrictions on name usage) - instead I git with marketing for other services like hosting and e-mail services etc.

I wish they wouldn't do that. They can market those things but www [dot] nic [dot] tld really should be tech and policy about the TLD.

To me that gives the impression the TLD is just a gimic to get people to buy their other services, and why would I want to use a TLD where the company behind it sees the TLD as a marketing gimic? I want a TLD from a company that is serious about the TLD itself.

•••
http://nic.xyz/termsandconditions

Perfect example - that's the only terms and conditions I could find at xyz. Nothing to do with the domain name I want to register, but rather, it is about use of their website. And I also didn't find any technical information at their nic page.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back