IT.COM

.us 3 letter .us or 3 character .com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Currently what is worth more a 3 letter .us with good letters (no q,z,x etc.) or a 3 character .com that makes no sense? I know that the value of both continue to rise because they are all taken.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd say that .com is worth more regardless. .US is pretty worthless compared to .com. They (.us) are nowhere near when it comes to type-ins, registered domains, recognizion etc. .US have never been a famous ccTLD, like the german .DE or the swedish .SE for instance. And in fact, it's one of the "big" ccTLD that I believe least in. Simply because americans of tradition want .com's.

Last edited:
•••
I respectfully disagree with Macke, and IMHO a quality 3-letter .US wins over a 3-character .com

:gl:

•••
If the three letters make sense, then I would go with .us But, if they are just three random letters, I would go for .com.

•••
As mentioned above, the 3 Char. .com is clearly the better choice. In the current situation, .us names are actually dropping in popularity and value or so I've heard.

•••
DB is correct in if they are quality letters excluding xyuzvjk THen you could go with a .us the only 3 character.com that will compete will most likely be LLN.com a lot of these have gone for over $100 on EBAY but you don't find Cba.us for sale or Snd.us you find LXV.us or QuX.us in that case I would take a good lln.com CHeck out www.3character.com for recent and historical sales data.

•••
I say .COM .

I really think that the opinion will have some bias; people living in the US would have more of a certain "attachment" or "attraction" towards .us than someone not living in the US.

I feel that has something to do with the decision; I may very well be wrong though.

True_Snake

•••
Being logical:

The average price of a 3 letter .us without the "undesirable" letters on TDNAM this week has been $90 - $150. I would be more than willing to sell my 3 character .com's that don't have good letters for this amount, as would most of you, I imagine :)

While 3 letter .us's with X's and Y's and Q's are not worth much right now, good 3 letter .us's still beat random 3 character .com's.

I think the "bias" mentioned above might actually work AGAINST the US on the part of folks from elsewhere ;)

-Allan

•••
FusunMedia said:
In the current situation, .us names are actually dropping in popularity and value or so I've heard.

With all due respect, I think you "heard" wrong. This is false, and statements like this are potentially dangerous because some other people who don't know better, might be misled. This is not meant as an insult to you, sir.

I could write a real long post, provide a bunch of links, or even talk about my own .US sales, but I won't. You need to do the research, you need to actually buy and sell some quality .US domains yourself, you need to be on the .US scene, (etc.) and these things only come thru first hand experience.

All I will say is this....

* The #1 and #2 reported sales for the new TLD's this year are .US

* 3 of the top 5 reported sales of new TLD's this year are .US

:)

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
Being logical:

The average price of a 3 letter .us without the "undesirable" letters on TDNAM this week has been $90 - $150. I would be more than willing to sell my 3 character .com's that don't have good letters for this amount, as would most of you, I imagine :)

While 3 letter .us's with X's and Y's and Q's are not worth much right now, good 3 letter .us's still beat random 3 character .com's.

I think the "bias" mentioned above might actually work AGAINST the US on the part of folks from elsewhere ;)

-Allan

wow thanks for the info allan. $90-$150 is crazy. I didn't know that!

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
Being logical:

-Allan

Exactly right. There's a huge discrepancy between nice 3 letter .us and crappy three letter .us. The former you can sell for $xxx without too much difficulty. The latter you can't sell unless you force someone to buy it.

Three char .com's are good for easy resale, but profit margins are usually slim - I've only sold one three char .com for over $100, while I've sold 5-6 three letter .us for over $100. No choice here.

•••
call me crazy but i had to pay over $500 for some three letter .us names i liked
and it was hard finding the right ones and tuffer to find them for sale
as the years roll by im sure good three letter names in the .us .info and .biz will take off to crazy amounts...... but shhhhhhhhh keep it under raps im still collecting.

•••
A good TLA (Three letter acronym) in just about any gTLD extension or large country ccTLD is valuable and most likely has an edge over any odd combo with "bad letters", or letter number combos. Most any company would pay 3 to 5 figures for their company acrnoym or stock ticker code. Many would even pay 3 figures for their initials. Domains like Q9X.com seem to hold value to speculator optomists JUST because they are .com, but ultimatly have little real useful value compared to a good TLA.

Just my opinion. I don't invest in letter number combos in any TLD, but will take good LLL domains in .us or any gTLD.

•••
really depends on the letters. In general it is
Good quality .us
all 3 char .com
then
crappy zqx .us

Hope that helps.

•••
Thanks for the info everyone, it looks like many are split but the majority of people seem to agree that good 3 letter .us domain names are better then bad 3 character .com's. I personally think a 3 letter .us that is good is much better because it holds a great potential for development as opposed to a 3 character .com. Any additional opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

•••
Yeah I got bought 5Q1.com. How much worse can it get? I think thats worth less than like xzp.us lol

:)

Last edited:
•••
'Good Quality' 3 letter .us's are worth -much- more than 3 char .coms IMO.

However, mediocre 3 letter .us's, arent worth much at all...

•••
I think it really depends how good the "good .us" domain is. For example, sex.us is going to be better than a3j.com, but something like sta.us is not as good as the a3j.com.

Tom

•••
3 char .coms its universal!

•••
jeter4982 said:
...but something like sta.us is not as good as the a3j.com.

Tom

I would disagree with that.

STA is a very good TLA. a3j would not be very useful in my opinion and is hardly worth reg fee. If I had these, My prices would likely be:

a3j.com - $60
STA.us - $895

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back