NamesCon2020

2020 Predictions for the Domain Industry

Labeled as discuss in General Domain Discussion started by Silentptnr, Dec 24, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Stankodomains

Stankodomains Established Member

@ BabayS
    Check the drone fireworks in Shanghai, impressive.
    Happy New year

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. eyedomainous

eyedomainous Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

50 years ago 'mass surveillance' was color-based segregation signs, restrictive housing covenants and other institutional mechanisms enforced by the mass population / white majority. It took the advent of national broadcast TV networks, 50 years ago, showing the brutal and passive (seat on the bus) enforcement of this societal mass surveillance, and the civil rights resistance to it, over the 'public airwaves', on the nightly news, to make the nation aware enough to care enough to change.

This change continues to this day driven primarily by citizens using mass surveillance tools, from video cameras to cell phones, and the mass media -broadcast TV and the web. While I agree government mass surveillance of the private lives of citizens, in their homes and on their personal devices is wrong, the idea that 'democracy is disappearing' in the public space due to 'mass surveillance' is wrong, as the exact opposite is true.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

4. jamesall

jamesall Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

Oh. Whites oppressed darker people. Is that all you learned?

Blacks have been oppressing blacks, Asians oppressing Asians and all religions oppressing each other since we formed collectives, up to and including the time you claim whites were the majority doing it. Not true.

I grew up in an oppressive system for 15 years.So did everyone 'white' under communism in the east, British Rule in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, off the boat and onshore to USA and just name it.

I'm tired of hearing how I am so blessed. Education, perseverance, patience and hard work. If you are blaming whites then you are an idiot. Everyone was in the crap 100 years ago.

Kings, Maharajas.. what what.. Slavery from Africa started by Arabs.. what what...

Watch and learn. The same people are doing the oppression as before. Transcription here: http://www.mit.edu/afs.new/sipb/user/ayshames/Python/PEASANT.PYTHON

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  5. eyedomainous

6. DpakH

DpakH Established Member

let there be more promo codes for registration

7. jamesall

jamesall Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

Move on to educating yourself before making crass comments about race.

8. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Top Member VIP

I predict for 2020 that NP members will continue to Hype their own interest (investments) in domain categories as the best thing since sliced-bread. Then by the end of 2020 telling us the same thing but for 2021.

I do think there will come a squeeze of some sort on our little game of domaining, Perhaps instigated by Business interests outside of the World of the registration services and ICANN

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  9. Winfluence

Winfluence Top Member VIP

A few people hype a niche here because it gets more noobs to reg the lower quality domains in that niche. With more keywords taken the more valuable the niche "seems", artificially inflating the sense of value (but not the actual value). With end users noticing more domains taken in that field they get the impression that competition (for keywords) is high and that they should rush to purchase a decent domain before they're all taken.

I have personally been excited about a few niches and posted news etc about such, but I have seen a lot of promoting of sh*tty domains like "hey guys, I just saw such and such in auction... I wonder who's going to get it :xf.wink:" (lots of sleazy winking :xf.wink::xf.wink:)

And sadly people do fall for the over hyping...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

This is an interesting comment on a topic not talked about enough. Would you care to write more @BaileyUK ?

Do you mean business organizations may rally against the aftermarket, or government regulations against ownership of domains for resale (as proposed but not approved for .au) or something else? The restricted TLDs (only open to those in a certain industry) and brand TLDs are neither open to domain investors, and while impact not yet much, I can see movement, possibly.

Thanks for contribution.

Bob

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  11. otismo

otismo Established Member

try ProtonMail.com

12. otismo

What is a shared content video player ?

13. nametrekker

nametrekker Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

agree. especially bullish on.ai with relatively mediocre .ai domains fetching 4 figure sales last week. also look for .id to begin more active repurposing to identity with privacy, encryption to major trends in 2020. .gg needs some big sales or developments to establish "global gaming" brand.

14. nametrekker

Yes, I'm getting some high offers on sportsbet domains...i'm waiting for legalization in california to start selling...sportsbet domains will become as valuable as cbd and crypto domains...so many sites and apps in dev or launched in states where legal...if legal in all 50 states iby 2022, could be very valuable

15. nametrekker

agree with all, especially 1&3

16. nametrekker

bob, i concur with most...let's see!

17. otismo

I predict private equity will privatize GoDaddy.

That as well as the outrageous price paid

( like in the case of Salvador Mundi )

will draw incredible attention

and intense scrutiny

to Domaining.

18. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Top Member VIP

No specifics - Bob,
    Just that if you think about it. The whole business of domaining is pretty much a closed-shop as far control, influence and jurisdiction goes.

I've always thought sooner or later a new out-laying perspective will come into play, There has to be minds at work out there that constantly reviewing the whole domain concept and controls. These minds may be linked to legal or technology.. I personally just don't foresee everything staying as it has been for the last 40 years. We are still in the infancy of the connected world (with all the smart concepts and devices still evolving) I just don't see how a fundamental part of this World can be left in control of the few

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  19. eyedomainous

Everyone who embeds the video player on their domain(s) gets a linked content page/screen or video in the player that when clicked can lead to their onsite channel (DomainSalesTV/otismo), or an offsite domain.

I should mention, channels could be the member's YouTube, Vimeo, Wistea, etc., embed, or in-house video player options which includes multimedia TV.

I should also mention, any video ad rev the network attracts is also 'shared' among the onsite channels, and some client paid embeds. YouTube monetizes its videos; members can still profit but via YouTube.

The fragmented nature individual domains makes individual domainers weak players the marketplace.

A shared content player... would also be domainers who connect their dots to make strands on the web that are long enough and strong enough to be a (sticky) marketplace.

Thanks for asking.

20. otismo

I LOVE Domain Sales TV ! Definitely an idea whose time has come. I have done something similar in a carousel @ http://tfg.foxeo.com but you have to scroll down to "And Our Affiliated WebSites" and it of course features my domains - but video/TV is WAY better !

21. otismo

This is not so much a prediction as it is a review of what is happening right now,

in an attempt to glean a little insight as to what we might expect going forward.

Data are from ntldstats.com, tld-list.com, domainnamestat.com, etc.

King Com @ 158 million names reigns supreme.

Top performing generic ICU @ 5.4 mil. up over one million names just in the last forty days !

No hint of implosion, it just keeps on going ! My guess is that in addition to being wildly popular,

the renew fees being cheaper than COM make it a keeper

( TOP XYZ ONE ditto but no where near as popular ).

Another surprise is BUZZ, from 264k to 475k names in the last forty days also.

ONLINE is back in number five position, finally trumping CLUB.

What is notable is that over the same forty days, ONL went from 6k to 7k names.

Big mover REST ( abbreviation of restaurant? ) from rank 245 to rank 89 in forty days.

Number three BAR from rank 122 to rank 82; number two LUXE from rank 195 to rank 147.

Many people do not have a web SITE; they have a web PAGE.

So I predict that PAGE will be a steady gainer, one day soon on a par with SITE.

Next we look at the over promotion implosion, which I will dub the namecheap.com nineteen :

LINK TODAY XIN WIN MEN OOO BID LOAN PARTY TRADE SCIENCE REVIEW STREAM DATE

DOWNLOAD WEBCAM FAITH RACING ACCOUNTANT !

None has fallen as dramatically as LOAN which one year ago had over two million names

and today barely has over twenty-four-thousand. Scary - but just over-promotion to the uninformed.

These appear to be stabilising at current levels, except for LINK which is genuinely rebounding.

I predict that the new generics are here to stay, especially as a low cost alternative for the pure hobbyist

( like myself ); but what will really end up stealing the show is two letter "country codes" :

the top twenty have over one hundred million names registered !

22. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

I have no clue what will be up in 2020
    I wish you all the best outcomes possible.

I'm pretty confident for the following predictions:

1) Sedo won't change anything on the domainers interface
    ( what has worked since 1999 must be good and change can only cause confusion )

2) More buyers will cancel the deal..
    ( I didn't mean to actually buy it )

3.) Low ballers keep on low balling

4.) Promoters will flood namepros

5.) Epik is not buying namepros

6.) Afternic will become more important to .com sales
    ( and they deserve it )

23. WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.com WhoaDomain.com Gold Account VIP

an AI will become sentient launch nukes and then create super robots to kill the rest of mankind no wait! That's a movie!

an AI will become sentient trigger a global EMP wiping out the internet and all the valuable domains ever created.

Domainers will form tribes of cannibals roaming the land like packs of wolves and they have also acquired a particular taste for SEO Experts! :-P:xf.laugh::xf.wink::xf.grin:

24. HotKey

HotKey Made in Canada VIP

Wow. It's gonna be a crazy-ass decade. Have always wondered, which domain name a sentient being AI would choose to rest his laurels on, and use to interact with the rest of us lowly netizens with?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020 at 2:32 AM
  25. Randolph

Randolph Reverse Engineer

Generic one-word names will fetch more mind boggling prices, but we'll also see an increase in activity towards niche names as mass social apps/communities and corporate conglomerates continue to experience user fragmentation.

An increased focus on dropped domains, more than ever before. By end of 2020, there will be another drop-catcher that eats a huge market share from the top catchers we've leaned on for years.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice