Dynadot

discuss 2020 Predictions for the Domain Industry

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Every year the top domain brokers and investors make their predictions for the coming year.

Let's make our predictions about domain name investing for 2020.

What do you think will happen? What do you think will be popular? What changes do you think will occur?

What new products/services will be unveiled in 2020.

I'm really interested to hear what NamePros members predict.

Make your predictions here and let's see what happens in 2020!

We have so many great minds here on NP. I look forward to learning from these predictions.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Robotics and AI will automate more and more processes we did not think could be robot-assisted. There will be domain opportunities here but difficult to be sure the type of name.

Some very thoughtful predictions,

but amongst all predictions (yours and others') I believe that AI will have the biggest impact on the domain Industry (absent any negative events taking place in the World at large) . Both as far as automation of certain processes and also in terms of being able to think and do things like a domainer. Although it might take a while longer for AI to reach it's full potentials and achieve Artificial General Intelligence, but I believe that 2020 will be a turning point in the start of AI integration into the domain Industry.

I wonder what AI would predict for the future. ;)

IMO

•••
I agree with the AI logic, I think 2020 will be a great year for domaining, I think we will see more companies launching online, doctors have already gone to a live video chat type service for doctors visits and follow ups. AI should bring us into Web 3.0 strongly. Liquid domains should be very strong throughout the year, they are the shortest names and should appeal on a wide scale to new company entries into World Wide Web, I emphasize World Wide Web because I feel 2020 may be the year to begin online commerce world wide from country to country with out shipping and as many customs problems, this should generate a great economy for other countries as well as bring good end user sales for domain name holders.

domainer to domainer sales will most likely remain the same as now, end user sales should should go up substantially in 2020 , however I don’t expect the end user sales to be of astronomical amounts of cash per domain name, but I expect a lot of generous dollar amounts spent by end users to get their property none the less

I see a bright forecast for 2020 domaing!

Last edited:
•••
HugeDomains will complete its acquisition of all possible domain names.

It will spend the rest of the century acquiring all property on Earth and the planet will be renamed "Huge Domain."

It's either going to have to share with Amazon or they will have to fight each other for domination.

•••
It's either going to have to share with Amazon or they will have to fight each other for domination.

HugeDomains is scraping mostly third tier domain names these days, they aren’t getting the picks of the crop anymore, they were slurping up tier two names up until say 2011, then the fight started with other drop catchers, that put a large damper on their inventory. I expect them to move a lot of older inventory in 2020, tier 3 domains won’t move at the prices they have set, so I also expect to see some decent HugeDomain drops as well on tier 3 domain names in 2020.

Last edited:
•••
I am rather pessimistic about that. Large aggregator services will continue to dissolve and depersonalize small players, who have no other choice but to dance to their tune. You either sell on Amazon or almost don't sell at all. So we buy from this small seller on Amazon and really do not even care about their name, we choose a hotel on Booking to barely remember it after the travel is over. Its getting harder and harder for small businesses to stand up to the challenge of technical superiority of large brands which employ hundreds of top engineers and designers, while the complexity of technology behind the digital experience continues to grow.
Your point is excellent, @Don Gondon and my prediction re personalized domains vs people placing their content on Facebook, shared craft sales, etc. large sites was probably more a hope than a realistic expectation.

Thinking about what you have written, I think many of us feel sort of pulled two ways. We like to support small initiatives but we also like the comfort of some big entity, like Amazon or Ebay, being involved so if things go south we can ask for redress.

I sense, particularly in people of say 25 and under, somewhat a backlash against big corporations in general and particularly them having private data or content. The planned manipulation of social converse for political, economic and social purposes, with fake profiles and organized misinformation, has further weakened support for existing products in many minds.

So I think the time is ripe, if someone can really come up with a turnkey solution that will give them control but still be easy and fairly low cost. But most well placed to facilitate that are themselves a big corporation, so .....

It is like if something like Wikipedia could get traction that was a network of private sites, but each private site on its own domain would totally own its data and control the interactions (like who could see its products, what was shared publicly, etc.). It would have to be flexible in supporting blogs, creative product sharing, cross comments, instant communication, etc. It would allow side gig selling of products and services, as well as authentic reviews. I suppose it would be a modern version of what MySpace set out to do decades ago for musicians, etc.

Even IF it happened, would it influence domain market? Not sure. Most people would definitely hand register. But I can see enough entertainers, serious side gig, influencers, athletes, etc. wanting something a bit better that there would be a market at least upper $$$ to mid $$$$. Let's say if the idea really took off and 1 in 10 people got their own site. That is like 600 million domain names, more than all registered now. Let's say 1 in 60 would get a $$$ name and 1 in 2000 a $$$$ name. That would be 10 million sales of $$$ names and 300,000 $$$$ sales. Probably dream numbers.

How might it happen? I think some sort of promotion aimed at young people is where it would start. A registry would sell long term (say 5 year) registrations at near cost to those who met some qualification (say still in college or university, etc.).

They would also kick in funds to some nonprofit that would control the network and be run as a strictly nonprofit NGO. Always. The .org business if it goes through may damage people's faith in such agreements.

Some players would offer hosting tailored exactly to this service to ensure standardization at incredibly low costs. That is there would be a simple turnkey system that you just point your DNS and off the bat after saying what features you want (blog, review, communication, store, resume, etc.) you would be up and running. It would have some sort of verification so we would know people on it were indeed real people. They would control who could interact with their "feed" etc. They would own everything on their domain name.

By the way @Michael Cyger floated a somewhat similar idea, can't remember if I saw it on Twitter or somewhere else, some time ago.

The .me registry tried something aimed to young people, but it was essentially just a domain name. Some NGO needs to make the turnkey solution and offer it and hosting very near cost, not just year one.

Sorry this got so long.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
- Western premium LLLL .com double in value (wholesale) while brandable ones increase even more.
- Return of China $$$! Chinese premium LLLL .com increase 50% (wholesale). 5N.com double in value (floor price increases to $2500 for premium, $800 if contains 4).
- One word .net/.org/.co/.io triple in value (wholesale).

•••
- Western premium LLLL .com double in value (wholesale) while brandable ones increase even more.
- Return of China $$$! Chinese premium LLLL .com increase 50% (wholesale). 5N.com double in value (floor price increases to $2500 for premium, $800 if contains 4).
- One word .net/.org/.co/.io triple in value (wholesale).
🙏

•••
As for country code extensions promoted as something else (.co Colombia, .me Montenegro, .io British Indian Ocean Territory, etc). The goverments worldwide will start realizing the importance of internet, in aspects of surveillance and control. It already happens (China is just the beginning). They will also need more and more money from taxpayers or from anything, which may include domains in their country codes. It means that the future of so-called "global" extensions which are actually under the control or various politicians in different countries (not centralized ICANN) is a big question. We need just one case to happen (like no more open regs in .ZZ country code, or 10x prices, or please send us the ID) - and the global trust in such unnatural extensions (.la is still Laos, not Los Angeles; .co is still Colombia, not a company) will be broken.

Last edited:
•••
IMG-20191225-WA0010.jpg

•••
2020 and beyond:

- 99% .coms will begin to lose value (I know, right? Take it like a man.)

- aged .com's will gain value (right? Take it like a man.)

- quality gTLDs will continue to gain traction.

- there will be virtual blood-shed between conglomerate controlled tech and user controlled tech, thus a possible lean towards block chain domains, or the very least, non-ICANN controlled domain entities still able to use the http protocol.

- new trendy keywords, thousands of reg's based on said keywords, no one will learn from previous VR, CANNA, CBD, 3D, SELF-DRIVING, 4G, IoT, AI, FinTech and the list goes on and on. Keep spinning that wheel, maybe you'll hit the jackpot, if not at least you can say Good Game (.GG), and thanks for Coming Out (.CO).

- those of us invested into what we are invested into, will continue to predict what is best for our investments.

•••
those of us invested into what we are invested into, will continue to predict what is best for our investments.
I think you have nailed it @HotKey
It is human nature, of course, but it is important to realize

•••
•••
HugeDomains is scraping mostly third tier domain names these days, they aren’t getting the picks of the crop anymore, they were slurping up tier two names up until say 2011, then the fight started with other drop catchers, that put a large damper on their inventory. I expect them to move a lot of older inventory in 2020, tier 3 domains won’t move at the prices they have set, so I also expect to see some decent HugeDomain drops as well on tier 3 domain names in 2020.

How do you define tiers 1-3 please?

•••
Namepros shows this stats today: Discussions:1,170,155 | Posts:7 ,561,123 | Members:1,031,163. This is definitely going to change.

well I think (like most) the demand for ai, bots, hemp, drone, and retail related domains will rise further.

.com will continue its reign and likely to top most of the sales charts.

.co domains may go up further in value together with .io

.org and .net may see decline...

new gTLDs will still remain speculative and unpredictable. ntldstats.com for today. some will go down further
TLD Domains +/- % Share
1. GA .icu 4,856,566
2. GA .top 3,683,262
3. GA .xyz 2,931,590
4. GA .site 2,061,454
5. GA .club 1,494,847

•••
While there are superstar performers even in .CO, .TV and new TLDs, it is my view that the industry as a whole is generating negative returns on capital. A mutual fund or hedge fund which continually generates negative returns eventually closes shop. So while there will be a continuing rotation of newbies into the space who get attracted by the perception of easy money, the reality is the domain space is a continual ferris wheel of drops and acquisitions with the occasional outlier sale. What other retail sector has turnover in the low single digits? Best Buy in a recent quarter had less than 79 days of inventory while Amazon had inventory turn in a recent quarter of 2.2 - roughly 40 days of inventory Imagine selling an entire domain portfolio in two to three months. Of course margins in traditional retail are lower But replacing domain inventory is not so easy.

•••
Perceptive comments from @garptrader. I agree that probably as a whole the domain buying/selling industry loses money, most domains that change hands are between domainers, and the sell-through rate has stayed stuck at very low percentages.

So do we see any changes coming in 2020 that are likely to improve sell-through rate and profitability? Will domains be used in new ways adding demand? Will matching sellers and buyers get more efficient? Will education or AI fuelled services assist better acquisition choices so fewer unsaleable domains will be acquired?

Bob

•••
2020 Predictions:

1. Domain name sales from independent domainers will continue to lag - except for the long-time domain holders and low-cost domain flippers. (Sorry to newer domain investors - it's a tough market.)
2. GoDaddy continues to increase market share as a Registrar while Network Solutions continues its slide.
3. More companies like Wix will get into the "free" domain/website business.
4. Sale prices of short .com domain names will continue to increase - everything else, including the slew of non-word 4-L's) will mostly remain constant, except for whatever the next big thing will be (what will be the CBD of 2020?).
5. More new domainers will enter the market, buy a bunch of names with little to no sales.

•••
Bitcoin is going to rise to $25000 - BTC1 or even more in 2020 watch out. !
Another scrambles for bitcoin and Blockchain domains is going to happen again watch out !

•••
While there are superstar performers even in .CO, .TV and new TLDs, it is my view that the industry as a whole is generating negative returns on capital. A mutual fund or hedge fund which continually generates negative returns eventually closes shop. So while there will be a continuing rotation of newbies into the space who get attracted by the perception of easy money, the reality is the domain space is a continual ferris wheel of drops and acquisitions with the occasional outlier sale. What other retail sector has turnover in the low single digits? Best Buy in a recent quarter had less than 79 days of inventory while Amazon had inventory turn in a recent quarter of 2.2 - roughly 40 days of inventory Imagine selling an entire domain portfolio in two to three months. Of course margins in traditional retail are lower But replacing domain inventory is not so easy.

some good points, but it depends on what your definition of the domain Industry is, it's a well known fact that a large percentage of domainers (maybe up to 90%) are not making a profit even if they sell a few domains here and there, but many other segments of the domain Industry such as registries, registrars and their resellers and affiliates, back end operators, hosting companies and even ICANN are doing okay.

If you really want to make money off of domains perhaps it's best to own a registry or registrar rather than being a domainer. For many It's best to think of domaining as more like a passion or hobby than a guaranteed source of income.

IMO

•••
2020 will be the beginning year of 5G era. Thanks to 5G, some new, advanced and powerful technologies/features (e.g. AI, IoT, VR/XR, fintech, real-time features) will be rolled out in the year. Domains related to the technologies/features will gain values.

Finally, I predict that there will be more members in NamePros. :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
That is a very bold prediction.

I have more confidence in the scenario that Voice.com is outed as having been a money (uhh) rinsing operation.
Like the local barber here who has had his shop open for five years and about 20 customers/week for $10 haircuts.

Edit. Ehh.. I'm predicting my local barber's domain name will drop.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Continued growth for one word .co, .io, .ai, and even .gg, while ngtlds will continue their down slide.
u missed .in in that list. cheers.

•••
Perceptive comments from @garptrader
So do we see any changes coming in 2020 that are likely to improve sell-through rate and profitability?

Bob

Education. How many impartial domain education courses are there?
Why are none of the colleges or universities running courses or MOOC's about domains?
With all the money spent daily on domains and all the interest (I think someone said NP has over 1 million members) why is domaining not being taught as an academic subject?
The stats are there, just needs a university to pick up on it....
...maybe that's my prediction for 2020......

•••
Climbing out on a limb after taking a whiff of something mind altering.

Another couple of hurdles towards a well oiled silver machine for domain name sales and acquisitions will be removed. This will snowball liquidity and credibility.

Shopify who already offer business listings for clients who want readymade online businesses will also tap into the domain aftermarket. I would not be surprised if they were the ones to set something in motion that could shift the social media focus to owned channels, domains.

They will ”risk” getting gobbled up and will not accept.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back