Dynadot

1&1 bash thread

NameSilo
Watch
I am creating a thread for the purpose of warning internet users about 1and1.com

This by far is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I signed up for hosting accounts but kept on getting them wrong because I am not too much of a computer literate (that is for my programmer). Somehow I got signed up for 6 different accounts that continued to bill me AFTER they had been canceled. I called 1&1 and after complaining and threatening they finally removed all but 1. Well I had still 90 days to cancel and I did within that time. So now I have a canceled account and a recurring billing cycle. OVER and OVER again until according to their TOC it will magically renew itself upon my inaction.

So I delved a bit into their Terms and voila a 90 day money back guarantee. Am I saved? Nope because beneath the fine print in something called misc terms are terms contradicting all their guarantees.

BUYER BEWARE YOU ARE IN FOR A SCAM

STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS

Any more horror stories I know they are out there. There are tons of anti 1&1 threads

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had a domain with 1and1 that I let expire. before the usual 30 days grace period the domain was caught by a german guy. no pre-release, no drop, no backorder queue. the domain was simply moved to the fellow colleague...

just another input about the quality and integrity of this registrar.

regards,
tonecas

Well. So 1 and 1 have explaine them somehow? Have the sent any emails to you regarding that?

•••
Well. So 1 and 1 have explaine them somehow? Have the sent any emails to you regarding that?

no explanation whatsoever. zero. I had moved all domains that I had there so I was not in a mood to waist anymore time with them.

and after more than a year I'm still receiving emails warning that some domains are going to expire even if they are no longer with them...

by far the worst registrar in the market.

even today I cannot understand how they still have so many people using them and how they are still permitted to operate.

regards,
tonecas

•••
It's because they are cheapest.

So let's talk about that god awful control panel of 1and1's. (Remember be nice one day they make you rich with sedo, lol!)
So what is such an insult with this control panel? It is completely useless. For example you click on your domain and where does it go?

Domain Destination Settings
View and edit the current settings of your domain.

The current domain settings can be found below grouped into three main sections.

* Domain Data - Listed under the domain name are the status and the other current domain configuration. Click on the links to edit a single part.
* Domain Destination - Shows the configuration of your domain's web space or using the domain name to forward your visitors directly to another website. Click on Edit to change its destination.
* MS FrontPage Extension - Tells the current status of the MS FrontPage Extension. Click on Edit to change its setting.

Domain Data
Domain name 1plus1equalsucks.com
Status Ready
Document root /homepages/22/er2323
Domain is Additional domain
Destination
Destination As a home directory : /.
Affiliate
Affiliate Deactivated

WTF? I want to be able to control the WHOLE domain for one place. Instead this page does nothing so you have to go back find your domain again then check mark it go all the way up and select DNS or forwarding the select then you go to the part. HOLLY F*&*&^ how stupid is this company? Obviously they have never actually used the panel themselves because after 5 minutes you are ready to burn own your computer. You have to go to 10 different places to control your domains. No defaults, no mass changing, no presets. It's a joke.
Then the cancel panel is just as terrible, one wrong click and you've lost ALL your domains! Again why don't they keep this just nice in one screen per domain that someone can do everything they want? If you set one to be deactivated it just say 'still processing...' for how f'long?

•••
They are the only registrar that sent me to collections.

ditto on collections they have their own personal collection agency. In my case the retards neglected to charge the credit card on my account which in the meantime they were using to pay for my hosting.

As far as the comments about 2 percenters being unhappy. Check the BBB website on 1 and 1 I think that should clear up the fact that this company screws over more than 2 percent lol. Last time I checked they had the lowest rating on the BBB you could get haha

•••
1and1.com has a rating of F

dc.bbb.org/report.html?national=y&compid=1040770#Ratings - BBB of Washington DC & Eastern PA: BBB Reliability Report

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
1and1.com has a rating of F

dc.bbb.org/report.html?national=y&compid=1040770#Ratings - BBB of Washington DC & Eastern PA: BBB Reliability Report

The facts speak for themselves. Thanks for digging this up wayne

•••
if you want to cancel call the 1800 numbers its alway work for me :)

1&1.com has 2 admin sites, which alot of people don't know about

I find the site good for one thing, buy domains (good price) and Change DNS to Sedo.
I will never use hosting or any other stuff.

•••
They will hurt your credit

They send you to collections. :td: They renew the domain and THEN charge you. But their system of stopping the autorenew is very convoluted. I canceled and apparently didn't see the email to confirm, so they uncanceled me. I filed a BBB complaint.

•••
They send you to collections. :td: They renew the domain and THEN charge you. But their system of stopping the autorenew is very convoluted. I canceled and apparently didn't see the email to confirm, so they uncanceled me. I filed a BBB complaint.

Actually that's what I suggest everyone do rather than put up with their poor customer service and ridiculous business practices. The BBB got it cleared up within a week and got me a refund and an apology letter:hehe:

•••
no explanation whatsoever. zero. I had moved all domains that I had there so I was not in a mood to waist anymore time with them.

and after more than a year I'm still receiving emails warning that some domains are going to expire even if they are no longer with them...

by far the worst registrar in the market.

even today I cannot understand how they still have so many people using them and how they are still permitted to operate.

regards,
tonecas

just to add that the guys that have a "special" connection with 1and1 (and Sedo) is domcollect.com

shaddy business

regards,
tonecas

•••
************************UPDATE**********************************

After the BBB sided with me and got me a full refund from 1and1 I pull my credit score and find out that they sent me to collections but the note on my credit score says PAID lowering my high 700 credit score down to 630?

What happened was I missed a month because my card expired. I changed my card on my profile and the next month they began billing again. I get a call maybe 6 mos after that incident FROM COLLECTIONS. I immediately paid them not wanting this to go on my credit score for the amount of 30USD including the collection agency fees and called 1and1.com. They told me our automated system sends u emails but they probably went to your spam and we never sent out any letters saying you were delinquent of debt. They also couldn't answer me as to why when I changed the credit card on my profile they didn't just fulfill the charge.

WHAT A CROCK CROOKED AWFUL COMPANY....SECOND BBB COMPLAINT FILED TODAY

BTW THE BBB EASILY SIDED WITH ME ON MY FIRST COMPLAINT IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLES WITH THIS COMPANY LET THE BBB DEAL WITH THEM.

THEIR COMPANY SCORE IS AN F WHICH MEANS YOU PROBABLY HAVE A HIGH CHANCE OF THE BBB SIDING WITH YOU

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

just to add that the guys that have a "special" connection with 1and1 (and Sedo) is domcollect.com

shaddy business

regards,
tonecas

hey thanks for keeping us up to date on this. LOOK OUT PEOPLE THE CROOKS ARE EXPOSED

•••
I think you have spent a lot ogf time here on the forum. There are a lot of other companies over there which you can check and chose.

•••
I think you have spent a lot ogf time here on the forum. There are a lot of other companies over there which you can check and chose.

I already have new hosting. I am still dealing with my headache from 1and1 from close to a year ago. Plus I vowed to their arrogant a$$hole customer service managers I would smear their reputation for what they did to me if they didn't resolve my problem...which they didn't the Better Business Bureau did :)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back