Dynadot

How do you deal with 1and1.com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Some time back I made the mistake of getting some domains on 1and1. When I didn't want some domains, I decided to cancel auto-renew. If anybody knows 1and1, they know this is a pain. Apparently, I didn't complete their crazy cancellation process because I didn't confirm it by email (which I never saw, actually, and didn't know to look for). After I get confirmation codes for EACH DOMAIN I was canceling, I thought that's that.

But alas, I get a bill, and the rep said I didn't cancel, because I didn't confirm cancellation. I was "un-canceled" I guess. I told him that they apparently never sent the email, and he said sometimes the email doesn't come. Even though I canceled all my packages with 1and1, they still want money. They apparently will send you to collections for non-payment.

It's no wonder 1and1 has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of "F". 1 and 1 is the worst registrar I have dealt with.

You live and you learn, but I can't for anything understand why 1and1 is still growing.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's no wonder 1and1 has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of "F". 1 and 1 is the worst registrar I have dealt with.
F... like F*** it :laugh:

Well I guess so many companies look great until you want to leave them :bah:

•••
so this is how they are making it into the top 100 google trends :hehe:

•••
Sorry to hear your bad experiences. It is really difficult for the customers if the cancellation procedures are too complex.

•••
Just spread the word and warn others about 1and1. Such a scam site. I don't know why SEDO has anything to do with them. I thought SEDO was a reputable company but they are in cahoots with 1and1. You order a domain from SEDO.com and go to 1and1. Makes me wonder about them now.

•••
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with 1 and 1. Perhaps you should look into other domain registrars in the future such as GoDaddy.

•••
Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with 1 and 1. Perhaps you should look into other domain registrars in the future such as GoDaddy.

I use several. I made the mistake of getting some domains on 1and1 some time back. I don't care for GoDaddy, because of all the junk ads, although they aren't a problem registrar like 1and1. I'm using Moniker now and am fairly satisfied. Namecheap is pretty good too.

20/20 hind site.

•••
I ignored them until they turned the charges over to their collection agency and I got a letter from them. Collection letters always say you have 30 days to dispute the charge. I did that and have not heard any more from them. However, I have not pulled a credit report since then so I don't know if they filled a charge off.

Total sleazeballs.

•••
Sorry to hear about this happening to you. Yahoo did the same thing .............. It's not an uncommon tactic. But you did the right thing in sharing with the forum. You most assuredly have saved or will save someone else the same headache. :tu:

The best way to resolve this, especially in time sensitive situations, is to take the time to call a rep and make the changes/cancellations on the phone. They will send you an email for you confirm and it's a done deal.

People really do need to be more aware during registration process. There is usually a box you can check on or off for auto renewal during the registration. Or use the option to set, the renewal status, on one or all your names in your CP. Renewal is something people take for granted until the last moment. I've burned myself enough times to get vigilant with my renewal settings.

You note how I say "burned myself" .... because it is nobodies fault but your own if you "burn yourself" with your renewal settings.

NN

•••
The best way to resolve this, especially in time sensitive situations, is to take the time to call a rep and make the changes/cancellations on the phone. They will send you an email for you confirm and it's a done deal.
NN

Thanks. I did call 1and1 and they stated there was no record of a cancellation. After a week if the email was not confirmed they ignore the cancel request. I tried to cancel before the charge but they said it's already put through, no stopping it.

The good news: 1and1 canceled my packages.
The bad news: They re-registered unwanted domains for another year in my name but I can't touch them because the account was canceled. The 1and1 control panel says "Status: delete"

The second thing is that 1and1 renews the domain before they charge you so that they have to fight to get money, even through debt collection if they have to. Why register the domain to me before I give you money? Do many registrars do this? Why not the other way around to avoid angering people?

Can I somehow give the domains back?
Even though 1and1's system is convoluted, they're still going to want their money. I'm not looking to rip them off but I do want fair treatment.

(Hopefully I'll work this all out. Thanks for the input.)

Last edited:
•••
I believe their growth based on the target market they have chosen. Int seems that they have chosen right one.

•••
Can I somehow give the domains back?
Even though 1and1's system is convoluted, they're still going to want their money. I'm not looking to rip them off but I do want fair treatment.

I hope so. But I suppose that this time you will need to work with them directly.

•••
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and its a great forum witch I readed from long time.
I have a problem with 1and1 and looking for some advices.
I buyed many domains with them, but now I want to renounce, but its very difficult I see. They automatic renews some of my domains and I have domains for witch I was billed by two times.
Thank you!

•••
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and its a great forum witch I readed from long time.
I have a problem with 1and1 and looking for some advices.
I buyed many domains with them, but now I want to renounce, but its very difficult I see. They automatic renews some of my domains and I have domains for witch I was billed by two times.
Thank you!
First off, never make the mistake of getting domains from 1and1.

To cancel, log out of your regular 1and1 account and go to cancel.1and1.com, read their complicated instructions for canceling carefully. If not, 1and1 may send you to debt collections and charge an extra $18.95. You will get a confirmation code for each domain, but that's not all. You have to reply to an email, which may or may not come. Also, some of their emails go to spam, some to the inbox. You MUST click the link in the email, or you will be "un-cancelled" in a week, despite getting a confirmation code for each domain. If the email doesn't come (which was true in my case), you have to write to them.

It's the most convoluted system for canceling domains I've ever seen, which I'm sure benefits 1and1, but angers many. If you don't research it, you will not know how to cancel.

You may have to call 1and1 at 1-877-300-8316 to get it resolved, but they may give you the run-around. I talked to 4 people the last time before I figured out the problem.

•••
I talked to 4 people the last time before I figured out the problem.
I believe that is another prove that ticket system is the best and sometimes the fastest way of solving the problem

•••
Call and cost them some money

Just call them and get them to confirm the domain have been cancelled via email. Keep the confirmation email from the rep. Thjis is after you've jumped through some hoops to confirm its your account obviously.

•••
Well, I have had area and I am sorry to see you had problems with 1and1, I understand what you mean with the domain system. when I first started out I was using them for all my domains, costly and a pain in the arse. the amount of tim eyou need to spend to move each domain name is crazy!

But I foudn the support to be rather helpful when I had problems, but with you it does not seem the case.

But, just move everything from them and like kbweb has laid out ensur eyou cancel the right way.

•••
i see 1&1 complaints everywhere.....

so what is protecting this company? why dont they close down? :P

•••
i see 1&1 complaints everywhere.....

so what is protecting this company? why dont they close down? :P
They are still a massive host, with a massive advertising budget.

They are one of the few hosts who can afford full page (or two-page) adverts in major magazines, etc.

And so if someone is fairly new to hosting, and they are a long time reader of a particular mag, chances are they'll automatically just choose 1&1.

•••
I think a lot of small developers seldom buy/sell/move/expire their domains so they don't run into the issues domainers do.

•••
They are big and at the same time they have good reviews about them. So that is avbsolutelly ok if time by time they have some negative ones. I assume each web hosting service provider has them

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back