NameSilo

You want HOW MUCH for a newly registered name???

Located in General Domain Discussion, started by bluebox, Sep 30, 2016

Replies:
Views:

1. bluebox

bluebox Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

So I was contacted about the name I registered less than 2 weeks ago (after drop).
    The offer is $30 - and as always my first instinct is to give them counteroffer lower than my (not shown) BIN - just to avoid comments like "why the hell are you expecting $1000 for the name you just registered?! You are scum of the earth! This is why we can't have nice things - because of the #$# squatters! Blah blah blah...."

How do you convince someone they should pay you 100x of a reg fee for a __ days old name.
    What's your favorite comeback (assuming you actually bother responding :))

I suck at negotiations - I wish sedo/afternic commission was lower so I could avoid the "human contact" part :rolleyes:

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. forge

forge Be one or buy one VIP

That's like beating a dead horse: you can never convince them. What I mean is, that should not enter the equation. Just stick with the price you want and go from there.

Also, it's my feeling that a dropped name is a different breed compared to something merely "hand-regged". The registration date doesn't matter, and besides you had the insight to track it and own it. If the inquirer is serious about the name, they will pay a fair price. If not, show them the door.

3. hxp

hxp SuperDuperUltraRarePremiumHolographic Member VIP

"I'll still own it in x years, and it'll still cost you $xxxx. Maybe more."

Ultimately, buyers either see the value or they don't. You can try to politely educate them, but there's no point in arguing with them.

Reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

4. ZapNano

ZapNano :( VIP

5. bluebox

So you wouldn't feel like a greedy #$# for asking $xxx+ for the name you regged just a few days ago?
    When you think about it I didn't do anything that would justify 100x price tag. Just spent 10 minutes to go through expiring names list. And another 120 seconds to register it.

6. Hypersot

Hypersot Top Contributor VIP

just his inquiry justifies it imo
    he pays for your talent at finding good names in 10 mins :)

7. bluebox

But why pay $xxx for someone's 10 min. work. It's a first/last name - not hard to find.

It's hard to be domainer when you yourself don't believe in your BS sales pitch :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  8. Hypersot

Hypersot Top Contributor VIP

man, you hold a unique name that someone wants. Only you have that name in the globe.
    All you have to do is find how much they want it and sell it to them so they can be happy and you can be happy.

There is no whys in this, just correct evaluation and communication skills

9. ZapNano

It doesn't matter you spent zero time of work. Accept the offer if it is ligit.
    I had someone offered me $10million few days ago should I say no?

10. forge

forge Be one or buy one VIP

Why aren't we all philanthropists and simply donate the names we register? Because capitalism. Of course it is an option, adhere to the "domaining as a hobby" doctrine and give graciously to the "needy" as you see fit. But don't beat yourself up, because it's also a legitimate business model (imo, see: capitalism).

Here's a good test: Sell it to them for $30, and in a month or so see how much it'd take to buy it back.

11. ZapNano

$30 No, that's dirt. Start at $500. ..

12. carob

carob Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Reply:

Because you're worth it.

13. fatter

fatter Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

being its a name of a person my usual response isn't good for this, but I Usually respond with" I like for all companies to have equal access to my traffic , on a ppc page, rather than one company owning the name and hogging all the benefits of direct sales for this keyword
    Joe T

14. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If he balks at the price because the name is too fresh:
    you can tell him to come back in two years then the domain name will have aged
    and maybe he will find the price more palatable lol

Right now the domain name should have a ballpark value in your eyes regardless of age. Usually the price can only increase with time because of the increasing scarcity of good domain names.
    $30 simply isn't worth the time.
    It's the kind of price tag you put on domains that you want to liquidate, because you no longer need/want them.

And even though you spent little time to find it, it could be a winning lottery ticket. So the argument that you 'just registered it' doesn't justify that you should hand it over for a meager profit.

15. hxp

hxp SuperDuperUltraRarePremiumHolographic Member VIP

Google "Impostor Syndrome". I tend to struggle with it myself. :)

&Here's a short story that I think might help you along:
    (Full Story: Here)

16. tweetsgonewild

tweetsgonewild Top Contributor VIP Gold Account

Tell him that a "Dr Dre's Beats" Headphones costs around $10 to manufacture but they sell for 300+ minimum. It's because of the marketing. Your price is for the marketing hours you put in.

17. bluebox

Interesting.

Although in my case it's mostly the pathological fear of being disliked/criticized :rolleyes:
    "What if they are mad at me for quoting too high price"

LOL

I'm definitely not the self-confident, assertive businessman type.

18. carob

WTF it's just an email! Think of the numbers. And it is always easier to come down in price than it is to go up.

Let them be mad with themself for being too cheap to buy something they really want that would make them really happy.

19. carob

Email could be from a bot that could never see you blush.

If it helps just imagine someone else is writing your replies for you, treat it as a role.

20. ojo

ojo Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Domaining is like mining for rubies and diamonds amidst the worthless rocks. The value of a diamond or a ruby is not determined by when you find it. If you have a precious stone, be firm and wait for for someone who can appreciate it.

21. indiegrind

indiegrind Established Member

Bluebox, domaining might not be for you. The things you are afraid to do, are essential for success.

If you didn't believe in or understand the potential value of the domain, why did you buy it?

The whole industry is based upon acquiring domains cheap that have 100x value to someone else with the understanding that you will sell a small percentage of your portfolio each year and have recurring costs.

22. Apprich

Apprich Top Contributor VIP

I'd approach friendly manner.

So, tell him that you are trying to help him..If you wouldn't catch the name somebody else would catch it.
    And ask kindly the money you want.

23. Raymond C

Raymond C Established Member

don't be shy to start at $5000...and negotiate downward.....

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice