IT.COM

Yahoo Auctioning Off "Premium" Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Yahoo Auctioning Off A Bunch Of ‘Premium’ Domain Names It Found In Its Closet, Like Sandwich.com

Yahoo has posted an interesting little tidbit on its tumblr today, announcing that it’s going to be auctioning off a bunch of premium domain names that it has been holding onto.

The domains, which Yahoo has accumulated over years in the ‘portal’ business, include gems like ‘sandwich.com’, ‘av.com’, and ‘crackers.com’. Judging by the auction price ranges, which are between $10,000 and $99,000 for most domains, Yahoo looks to net several million from the sales if they all go.

“When you’re a company that’s been around as long as Yahoo, there are lots of fun things that you stumble across,” says Kevin Kramer, Yahoo Deputy General Counsel. “This year, we found a huge list of domain names that the company has owned for quite some time. As we discussed what to do with them, it became obvious that it was time to set them free…back into the wild of the Internet. “

read more http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/13/ya...mes-it-found-in-its-closet-like-sandwich-com/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting. thanks for the post

•••
av.com - Reserve price range: $1,000,000 to $1,499,999
sandwich.com - Reserve price range: $50,000 - $99,999
crackers.com - Reserve price range: $25,000 - $49,999

•••
•••
av.com was forwarded to altavista until this.
transmissions.com, sandwich, webserver also very nice.

blogsport - surprised google didn't try to udrp that...

I see sedo got them to park them all. Funny, yahoo domains getting google ppc ads..

•••
Someone quick.....lend me $1 million!

Thank you.

•••
Yahoo nervous about the effect of the upcoming flood of tld's???

One can only speculate.

•••

One can only speculate.
I anticipate it being one of the biggest non-events of the new millennium. The tlds, not the auction. Ok, probably both. :td:

•••
Yahoo certainly won't have any problems attracting eyeballs to this auction. It's already been mentioned in alot of the mainstream media that I follow.

•••

One can only speculate.

That is the only reason behind this auctioning, Yahoo's gurus still scratch their heads as none of them can no more than speculate or even they got opposed points of view so Yahoo is not risking money and are willing to sell now.

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

my-own-name.com selling with a reserve price in the range 100-500, come on!, only for being Yahoo? That is reg XD

•••
When does the auction start?

•••
well - it is already rolling.

Its interesting what price av.com will reach. It will be hard to hit $1 million.

•••
Did anyone here participate or watch and see what went for how much?

•••
I did

Last edited:
•••
I'm suprised someone isn't calling them a squatter.

•••
well - it is already rolling.

Its interesting what price av.com will reach. It will be hard to hit $1 million.

AV = Adult Video, I think it has potential.

My favourite one on that list is Host.com

•••

Ha!

When I was going through a nasty kerfuffle with Yahoo! regarding my domains (2007), I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not allowed to sell on the aftermarket. The support person all but called me a squatter.

That's when I transferred 200 domains to Go Daddy, where I am treated with respect.

Now I see that Yahoo! is selling on the aftermarket, supposedly against their own rules.

:)

•••
I guess they cant hold on to the competition in its main business and hence this tactic to raise money..

but who really will buy this domains??

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back