Dynadot

.ws .WS - The Discussion, Showcase and Sales Report Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hugegrowth

DomainMedia.caTop Member
Impact
Well the .WS registry has been in the news this week for releasing all 5N to 20N combinations last night, and 2 and 3 character .ws will be available later in Feb with new pricing scheme.

.WS registry also has a presence on NP now:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ws...-ws-domains-will-be-released-tomorrow.915224/

Obviously the China story may be creating a new market for short .WS domains. ALL of the NNNN.ws were bought out over three days this past December according to thedomains.com blog.

I registered some 5N.ws last night when they were released, anyone else stepping into .WS now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There's an easy solution to this: use the photo of the girlfriend (one that you'd like to have) as your new avatar.

I do, in fact, have a girlfriend. Thank you very much for your wildly awesome contribution to this thread. Your wisdom astounds me.

•••
I do, in fact, have a girlfriend. Thank you very much for your wildly awesome contribution to this thread. Your wisdom astounds me.

1. No better, no worse than yours.
2. Touchy subject? No need to take it personally - how would I know you have a girlfriend, and even if I did, why should I account for it?

•••
I think it's a lot like having a $100 bill that you can't spend at a gas station. You have to get your ass to a bank and cash it in. In exchange you get a $50, a $20, a $10, a $5, and 5 $1s. Now you can get those Doritos. By now I'm sure you're asking wtf this has to do with domains. Well. the $100 bill, in this case, is a 3L CHIP. Sure, it has value but your market is small because most people can't cash a $100 bill with the change they have in their pocket. So I suppose it'd make more sense to carry 2 $50 bills (4L CHIPs) since it's easier to spend. However, at times you will still need change. My point isn't that no one carries cash anymore. My point is that the domains with smaller value are actually more liquid. So to think that all these domains will increase rapidly is lunacy. Some domains are meant to be 1s, while others are meant to be 5s, 20s, or even 50s.

Just my 2 cents.

1. No better, no worse than yours.
2. Touchy subject? No need to take it personally - how would I know you have a girlfriend, and even if I did, why should I account for it?

That is called a contribution.

You simply spewed ignorance. There's a difference. You can pop off all you want online because we both know you'd be silent in person. Regardless, your opinion means little.

•••
Surprisingly a lot of quite legit businesses, sites and even organizations are or were using .ws. During the last year I re-sold via my shop samoa2007.* for $50, darwin.* for $120, jesus-christ.* for $30, zoonews.* for $200, oltrogge.* for $150. Still have weather-forecast.* for sale. Just today grabbed proxies.* on Dynadot auction, looking for selling it for some $300.

•••
there's an auction for some .ws names @ http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/BrowseDomains.aspx right now. just unselect all extensions and search only for ".ws" Some are ending in ~1 day others longer.

.ws registry says 3c domains are $600 to reg. idk if that's really the case or not but i'd be surprised if the 3N go above 600 if that's the case...

Last edited:
•••
.ws seems to be an out and out commodity play right now.

Kind of underlined by the fact that only short domains in the auction mentioned above even have bids.

Domain Bidders HighBid Closing Time
hc.ws 53 $312 3d 3h
555.ws 51 $502 9d 3h
887.ws 49 $156 2d 3h
jk.ws 49 $252 4d 3h
ct.ws 45 $402 1d 3h
sw.ws 43 $252 9d 3h
996.ws 41 $156 1d 3h
mb.ws 39 $252 5d 3h
zzz.ws 39 $312 12d 3h
dx.ws 38 $322 2d 3h
899.ws 37 $252 9d 3h
nj.ws 36 $352 8d 3h
686.ws 36 $252 10d 3h
181.ws 35 $106 3d 3h
ppp.ws 35 $312 12d 3h
989.ws 34 $106 10d 3h
288.ws 34 $312 5d 3h
366.ws 34 $252 8d 3h
yz.ws 34 $252 11d 3h
229.ws 33 $252 4d 3h
779.ws 33 $76 11d 3h
sz.ws 32 $352 10d 3h
7799.ws 14 $81 7d 3h

Everyone hyping the .WS Delusion here. I post a great 1 word.ws for $20 and no one touches it.
Exactly right.

It's only the Chinese stuff that has a chance, I don't see that rolling over into regular keywords. I see that coupons.ws just sold on Flippa for $232 a couple of days ago. That's a 7 figure domain in .com. Only 1 reported sale over $1,000 in the last 15 months and that site (company) might be the one that got sued by the MPAA, since they had 20+ other movietube domains.
Coupons isn't worth 7 figures, no keyword is it seems, now if this was a ll.ws...

I bought Christmas.cc for $12 yet the NNNN.cc go for four figures. Keywords don't have to have value to make a tld work

So coupons.com < nnnn.com now? Or is this phenomenon only restricted to .ws?

•••
Yep the renewals will kill this extension ..... in the short market

•••
Coupons isn't worth 7 figures, no keyword is it seems, now if this was a ll.ws...

It sold for 2.2 million, 7 figures last time I checked.

•••
Kind of underlined by the fact that only short domains in the auction mentioned above even have bids.
What are you saying? Short domains only have bids because that's all people want? Then why do people buy domains in extensions with 3 letters at all? If shorter = better then 2l ext must be the bees knees.

@imc no one is buying your 1 word .ws for $20 because they can still REG words for themselves far cheaper. You can't expect to reg a 7N .com and expect to get $20 right away for the same reason, people can still reg their own.

@mwzd You are barking up the wrong tree pumping short, meaningless domains with me. You are pumping them here saying these short domains > WORDS. Yea?...for how long will that stay true? Just because some Chinese came and bought gibberish letters and numbers you think it's the end all! LOL @ telling us a random LL is worth more than 'COUPONS'...

•••
I know short gibberish 1,2,3,4 letter domains have inherent value just for being SHORT. Business as acronyms, I get it. But the pool of end-users is small too. Domainers are stuck flipping these until an end-user comes along...THIS IS THE TRUE "COMMODITY" play, as you put it. Anyone can appreciate a word. A million people can take 'coupons' and turn it into something meaningful easily. I am not too caught up on the current FAD of random letters, I believe real words is the safest investment.

•••
Yep the renewals will kill this extension ..... in the short market
Renewals were reduced on the short names to regular rates. Right now its $25 and under depending on where you renew. I expect renewal prices to drop even further later this year.

As for the rest of the statements about .ws. I am not going to convince anyone to change their mind about .ws. I only have stated that I have purchased many short .ws. I hope they go up and I like the extension as much as any of the new Gs. My opinion only. I liked dot cc and people told me I was an idiot there as well. And keywords in dot cc are worthless . But the shorts have become very valuable.

And my NNN.xyz have had two offers in the last week of $4000 or more. I paid $7 for those not even two years ago. Again told I was wasting my money.

So far the more people calling me stupid the better chance I have of making money. The more people that pat me on the back and say "smart move" the more likely I just get slaughtered with the sheep :)

•••
I know short gibberish 1,2,3,4 letter domains have inherent value just for being SHORT. Business as acronyms, I get it. But the pool of end-users is small too. Domainers are stuck flipping these until an end-user comes along...THIS IS THE TRUE "COMMODITY" play, as you put it. Anyone can appreciate a word. A million people can take 'coupons' and turn it into something meaningful easily. I am not too caught up on the current FAD of random letters, I believe real words is the safest investment.

Just so you know, this FAD started in 2009 with numerics. And you do realize you are allowed to invest in keywords and numerics. Its not an either or thing.

•••
Here is what I do not get. Numerics are great and Chinese Market is great, but what does WS has to do with it? There are thousands of other extensions like KY BB GG etc where NN not worth MUCH. All your arguments are based on dream and a prayer. You are competing with thousands of other crap extensions. Why would WS beat them out? It makes 0 sense.

•••
•••
Faith in the registry to do a better marketing job abroad.
WS registry has been COMPETE DISASTER for many years. This is exactly the reason why it would FAIL not succeed.

•••
Here is what I do not get. Numerics are great and Chinese Market is great, but what does WS has to do with it? There are thousands of other extensions like KY BB GG etc where NN not worth MUCH. All your arguments are based on dream and a prayer. You are competing with thousands of other crap extensions. Why would WS beat them out? It makes 0 sense.
Because I believe in myself. I think I have an idea of what will make a tld successful and the owners are willing to listen to me and enact some of those changes. It started with reducing holding cost, renewals. Get the ridiculous renewal fees on the premiums to normal prices. Then release some of the names that have been collecting dust for years. Next up, get them listed on Ename and other Chinese registrars and make them easy to move. And yes, I do have hopes and dreams and sometimes that's all I got

•••
WS registry has been COMPETE DISASTER for many years. This is exactly the reason why it would FAIL not succeed.

Audi was a joke in the 90s. They're doing fine now

•••
I only have fishing(.)ws
4-5 years ago (can't remember) I refused a 1K offer for it. Then I regretted and know let's see what happens!
good domain

•••
Look how .cc did in China with zero marketing.

Compared to the other shorts you mentioned, .ws is global, available at more registrars, easy to push/transfer, will be or is cheaper to renew, and getting a marketing push. WS also has meaning for web or internet in China. In this China market I feel .ws can get close to .cc or .co in demand, with focus on up to 4L and even up to 6N.

•••
WS also has meaning for web or internet in China
Doesn't .wang as well? I'd like to hear the registry's plan, because dot onl, online, etc. are all competing ngtlds; and it doesn't look like they're making it work.

•••
I don't know if it will work either. But it feels to me like it will. I thought .xyz and .top didn't have a hope in hell, now look at them. For China, I think .ws can do the same. They bought up the 4N.ws in December. Maybe the window of opportunity was 2015 and now it's closed, we'll see.

•••
I don't know if it will work either. But it feels to me like it will. I thought .xyz and .top didn't have a hope in hell, now look at them. For China, I think .ws can do the same. They bought up the 4N.ws in December. Maybe the window of opportunity was 2015 and now it's closed, we'll see.
How much of that - strictly speaking value - will realistically flow into 5N? The 4N lots are bought out of info, mobi, Co, biz, etc. as well and there's fewer people buying them these days.

•••
Doesn't .wang as well? I'd like to hear the registry's plan, because dot onl, online, etc. are all competing ngtlds; and it doesn't look like they're making it work.
Wang means Net. WS can mean online from my research. I typed "wang shang" into google and it came out = 'online'...maybe ask a Chinese expert about that...

•••
How about Vw.Ws how are they doing?
~
I stand corrected on the renewals, but no way would I grab a .ws at over $500 entry point, just me perhaps

•••
Last I checked BLO.WS was available

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back