Dynadot

question Wow, just had my mind blown...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Bean

Top Member
Impact
I just had to share this with you guys, maybe a long-time domainer here might have some insight into what went down with this deal??
So I was browsing Namebio just now and thought it would be fun to have a look at sales prices of 2 letter coms those past few years... and I was completely stunned to find that gr.com sold for a mere $1500 in 2011 at Sedo :jawdrop:.
I've gone through the entire 10 pages of sales and no other 2L domain sale price comes even remotely close to this.
Ok while I was typing this a possible scenario occurred to me, maybe the buyer and seller are friends and money was not a factor. But then the buyer still paid $1500?
Anyways would love to hear what you guys think :xf.smile:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The seller could mistakenly knock off some zeros in the process of listing. $15k could be wrongly posted instead of $150k IMO

•••
The seller could mistakenly knock off some zeros in the process of listing. $15k could be wrongly posted instead of $150k IMO

Yeah but I'm pretty sure that Sedo would record the correct amount since it determines how much money they make from fees and surely Namebio would receive the corrected info.

•••
•••
Must have been an IDN ?

That certainly could explain it but I'm fairly sure the .com filter on Namebio doesn't include IDNs. And again I would expect Namebio to be reporting correct info.
And the thing is if it was indeed a friendly deal why do it on Sedo, since the people involved must certainly trust each other?

•••
What is the tag that I highlited in the below screenshot

upload_2017-9-3_12-59-20.png

https://namebio.com/gr.com

•••
•••
Yeah I did notice that as well, maybe it's the seller's native tongue? I didn't look up the translation but I don't think that com is an idn though.
The word in that tag is an IDN.

•••
huahuahahah! hope the buyer now, what he got :D

•••
IDN's remind me of replicas in the art world.

Used too often to mislead buyers.

I wish all IDN's ended in .idn similar to how replica's of antiques have the label "replica" stamped on the them.

•••
I still don't understand how that could be possible. Most sites allow you an option to filter out IDNs and that's how it should be cause otherwise it's confusing.
On Namebio, the extensions drop down just shows '.com' under 'popular gTLDs', it really doesn't make sense to me that they would include IDNs along with regular coms under the 'popular' tag. Oh well.

•••
I still don't understand how that could be possible. Most sites allow you an option to filter out IDNs and that's how it should be cause otherwise it's confusing.
On Namebio, the extensions drop down just shows '.com' under 'popular gTLDs', it really doesn't make sense to me that they would include IDNs along with regular coms under the 'popular' tag. Oh well.

My guess is that the first 2 letters are GR as in the standard script and the rest is an IDN so it only shows the first 2 letters and not the rest.

•••
Hope the buyer has a clue here.

•••
IDNs are bootlegged domain names, Trash, IMO

The actual GR.com would have sold in the high 50k to 70K range to a domainer in 2011,IMO. Very easily more than that to a serious enduser, any where from 110K to 150K IMO

Last edited:
•••
hopefully sedo give a warning or notification before buyer buy IDN, cause if not, SEDO will get high refund rate! at least if SEDO tell IDN domain are different it will make a fair business practice! as result low refund rate!

•••
hopefully sedo give a warning or notification before buyer buy IDN, cause if not, SEDO will get high refund rate! at least if SEDO tell IDN domain are different it will make a fair business practice! as result low refund rate!

Sedo puts it under the bid box.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back