IT.COM

Worst Registrar?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
l haven’t been domaining that long (l just sold my first domain name—SexDollSites.com—and probably undervalued it, but l was happy to just make that elusive first sale), but l’ve used several registrars, and it’s my opinion that 1and1 Ionos is a dumpster-Fire compared to the other registrars l’ve had the pleasure of using.

I bought 25 domain names over a period of a couple months from Ionos, as it had a $1 domain-sale for the first year. And l’ve been paying in wasted time, effort, and money ever since for the ostensible savings l realized from the super-cheap prices.

My question is, can l somehow move my domain names to another site? For one thing, the lONOS “customer service” reps tell me l can’t change my domain names’ status from private to public or change nameservers (which SquadHelp requires before they will acquire a member’s domain name) without doing seeming unnecessary mostly ridiculous steps.

One rep told me l needed a different Username (actually contract number) before l could alter the settings of any of my domain names.

And unlike any reputable registrar, like NameSilo or GoDaddy or Afternic, the “help” at Ionos claims its site doesn’t post a list of domain names of customers.

I could go on and on with phony charges Ionos demanded until l sent it an e-mail to cease-and-desist. Maybe you’ve had better luck with Ionos than l, but from what l’m reading on NamePros, more than a few members have opinions on Ionos—and the company, I’m sure, would not use the great majority of them in their ads.

Sorry for blathering. Again, can l “push” my domains away from Ionos?

Thanks in advance.

Lew

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I transfer in and out almost daily...

Such threads for me are like from another galaxy...

Last edited:
•••
Regarding Privacy...
I don't activate it from the beginning (when ordering)...
But even if it was activated - it can be disabled directly in their panel and almost instantly.

NameServers update also works without issues for me.

•••
The only one significant minus...
You can't do all these operations in a bulk... only one by one.

•••
•••
p.s. Worst registrars are those which were terminated by ICANN.
All others have their +s and -s... There are no ideal registrars apriori.

•••
Jurgen,

Thanks so very much for your most helpful responses, including the terrific link to Ionos “activities,” which is a godsend.

You’re what kindliness is all about; l will somehow pay forward your generosity.

And you’re right about all existing registrars having positives and negatives. I realized that after reading your take on this matter and then googling several Internet lists of good, bad and ugly registrars.

There was a lot of disagreement. For example, some had GoDaddy rated high; others low—the same with other seemingly popular registrars. And Ionos had a fair share of very-high ratings.

About the only registrar with nothing but praise was NameSilo, which l now use. I just wish it hadn’t recently raised its registration price.

Thanks again so much, Jurgen.

•••
Back