IT.COM

How to stop 1and1 Ionos from debiting my bank account?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Yes, l know l have a lot of stars under my name, but l relatively recently took up domaining after a 12-year sabbatical.

I know some members swear by 1and1 Ionos, but l’ve had nothing but trouble with this outfit. For one thing, it won’t make my contact info public, as, ostensibly, it is a European company belonging to an organization that doesn’t allow making owners of domain names public. And when l call the company, its associates often speak fractured, hard-to-understand English.

I have other complaints, but bottom line is after buying 15 or so domain names via 1and 1 Ionos,
I no longer do business with it.

Now that my renewal dates are coming up, this company automatically withdraws money from my bank account—unlike most registrars, it seems, that require buyers simply to press “Auto-Renew.

l called PayPal, which l used to buy the domain names, and a rep assured me that he could stop payment to this company forevermore. But the withdrawals continue—even as l cancelled my current credit card on PayPal.

1and 1 Ionos is able to continue to take my funds, as it somehow has my banking account information. Please tell me how to stop Ionos from renewing my domain names! I look at the site, and it doesn’t haven’t an easy way to stop auto-renewals that l can find, as registrars like Dynadot and NameSilo do.

Your assistance would very much be appreciated!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, l know l have a lot of stars under my name, but l relatively recently took up domaining after a 12-year sabbatical.

I know some members swear by 1and1 Ionos, but l’ve had nothing but trouble with this outfit. For one thing, it won’t make my contact info public, as, ostensibly, it is a European company belonging to an organization that doesn’t allow making owners of domain names public. And when l call the company, its associates often speak fractured, hard-to-understand English.

I have other complaints, but bottom line is after buying 15 or so domain names via 1and 1 Ionos,

Now that my renewal dates are coming up, this company automatically withdraws money from my bank account—unlike most registrars, it seems, that require buyers simply to press “Auto-Renew.

l called PayPal, which l used to buy the domain names, and a rep assured me that he could stop payment to this company forevermore. But the withdrawals continue—even as l cancelled my current credit card on PayPal.

1and 1 Ionos is able to continue to take my funds, as it somehow has my banking account information. Please tell me how to stop Ionos from renewing my domain names! I look at the site, and it doesn’t haven’t an easy way to stop auto-renewals that l can find, as registrars like Dynadot and NameSilo do.

-
go to paypal and click on the settings icon,click 'Payments' and click 'Manage Payments' and remove 1 and 1 ionos from your active list. you should look around for a transfer promo and move out anything you want to keep.

•••
•••
Long story short: NEVER EVER USE 1AND1 IONOS - NOT WORTH WASTED TIME AND AGGRAVATION

Previously with them as 1and1 you had to log into a second, obscure control panel and go to a section there to "cancel contract" for each domain name, even if you were not renewing it. Otherwise autobilling kicked in, then collection agencies. I experienced that, and some on here even reported being billed for domains they no longer owned.

Looks like this might still be so

https://www.ionos.co.uk/help/domains/terms-and-cancellations/cancelling-a-single-domain/

Please Note: The associated contract remains in place despite the cancellation of the domain. To cancel the entire contract and all its components, select the Cancel Entire Contract item in our Contract Service.

You can also use the Contract Service to cancel multiple domains at the same time. To do so, select the Adjust Domain Expire Date item.

As @cabotower said, in Paypal there is a section where you authorise individual merchants to take repeated payments, and once you disable that for a merchant in that list, they can't autobill you.

Last edited:
•••
Sorry for your troubles. But to start with,
I know some members swear by 1and1 Ionos
Noone. Never. Ever.

This is the worst possible registrar. Countless threads about it here and on all IM and SEO forums.

•••
Sorry for your troubles. But to start with,

Noone. Never. Ever.

This is the worst possible registrar. Countless threads about it here and on all IM and SEO forums.
Thanks for your reply, but l swear l’ve seen one. In fact, there’s one prominent contributor, who repeatedly comes to its defense.

I don’t know; maybe he’s a 1and1 Ionos employee.

I’m an English instructor, and l have problems understanding its confusing web site. Never mind
the reps l reach on the phone.

•••
Long story short: NEVER EVER USE 1AND1 IONOS - NOT WORTH WASTED TIME AND AGGRAVATION

Previously with them as 1and1 you had to log into a second, obscure control panel and go to a section there to "cancel contract" for each domain name, even if you were not renewing it. Otherwise autobilling kicked in, then collection agencies. I experienced that, and some on here even reported being billed for domains they no longer owned.

https://www.ionos.co.uk/help/domains/terms-and-cancellations/cancelling-a-single-domain/

As @cabotower said, in Paypal there is a section where you authorise individual merchants to take repeated payments, and once you disable that for a merchant in that list, they can't autobill you.
Thanks very much

•••
Thanks very much for your thorough and informative response.

•••
-
go to paypal and click on the settings icon,click 'Payments' and click 'Manage Payments' and remove 1 and 1 ionos from your active list. you should look around for a transfer promo and move out anything you want to keep.

This might help but you are sure only if you cancel your domains and your CONTRACT with them in old fashioned way via real letter and that you need to do 3 months before renewal.
If you cancel or transfer domains away from them but you didn't canceled contract related to those domains they will charge you and they will renew domains even if they are at another registrar.
This is the case with 1und1 (1and1/Ionos for Germany) but that is same company
My total lost was something about 7K EUR with this %%&&$$& company :)

•••

Been in domaining since 1997 and Ionos seems like straight up ripoff artists with this contract bullsh*t. They are trying to fleece me for $100 for one domain name I had there and let expire. Clowns.

•••

I experienced the same thing. I had to change my PayPal address and card account. I told them I did not want to renew to no avail. They sent the amount to collections has caused some damage to my credit score. I disputed with the collection company that I simply chose not to renew. It was not successful. I reported them to BBB.

•••

You said, "I know some members swear by 1and1 Ionos" You will find that less than five percent of domainers would suggest using ionos also they tried to bill me one time too but I had info canceled so they weren't able to rip me off. Most domainers have nothing but bad things to say about ionos (formally 1and1). They are usually hard to deal with. I suggest namesilo and godaddy. What I don't like about ionos is they charge to push a domain from one account to another so when your buyer goes to accept it he has to renew it for 1 year before he can accept the push. 99%+ of registers offer free pushes but not ionos. Stay away.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back