Dynadot

discuss Will parking pages kill .coms

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
OK - "kill" is a bit excessive, but I'm finding that a lot of the keywords that I would like just resolve to parking pages. I find this annoying, and not very useful, as most of the links are often of no relevance to the domain name. Now that we have keyword TLDs, do you think that there may be a shift towards the use of these where the .com name is "wasted"? I say wasted because there have been a few threads about parking revenue reducing.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You are worrying about, or trying to create problems that don't exist.

.Com is KING and parked domains won't change that.

•••
Most of them are based on my quest for knowlege, and to open up discussion.

You just want to talk, rather than listen.

an open mouth means a closed mind my friend.

Go read the thousands of posts devoted to this subject. With that said, I've already learned in my short time here that you can't argue with a gTLD believer.

The small mammals diversified and came to dominate the world.

kitten please...

•••
Parking is dead.

Has been for a while.

Sure a few lucky people have domains that make $ with parking.

Most do not.

Forget about parking and stick to landers.

•••
•••
I understand your train of though on this. The first answer you got from Kate is likely correct, no, the parked pages won't kill dot-coms. What does kill any TLD though is the inability to contact the domain holder. So a parked page is fine and dandy, but an enduser is going to move on if there's no easy way to establish communication with the holder.

Most of the other keyword TLD's are also going to parked pages, because the majority are registered by domainers. So it's not like they are offering anything better than the parked dot-com's anyways, unless they happen to rank better in search results.

Well said there must be a way to contact the owner for this to be effective. I started a thread somewhere but GoDaddy cash parking is all messed up, went to an OPPS! page for a couple days, went to a default cash parking page after I complained, looks like the custom template pages are back but they have removed any way to contact the owner like before on all pages.

Not sure if this is just messed up still or a planned change but I'm tired of calling them so I had to move a large number of domains I had there. It should have a link like before that says "Interested in the domain?" when clicked it went to a owner contact form.

Not good GoDaddy!!

•••
So which of my posts are so bad. Most of them are based on my quest for knowlege, and to open up discussion. If you are talking about Bitcoin and blockchain then most of the talk about that shows a gross misunderstanding of the concept.

It isn't me that is saying that parking revenue is rubbish now - maybe you guys can't see that this could be a change in surfers behaviour, I just wanted to find out if it was true, so that I can move with the trends.
My visitors click very often. some of my names have 50 to 500 % ctr each overall every domain i own i even have 30% ctr around. no lack of traffic over time either. they see it as sending them to where they need to go really just like google does with results.

•••
Kuffy... I think its bad to waste your time trying to make money off parking these days.

Last edited:
•••
an open mouth means a closed mind my friend.

I agree, and I note that your avatar has an open mouth.

My post was about a quest for knowledge, not an excuse to pontificate.

•••
Kuffy... I think its bad to waste your time trying to make money off parking these days.

I agree, and that's why I'm interested in putting together mini-sites.

Don't forget that I am not in the same position as most domainers. I'm retired, and I enjoy exploring new topics and ventures. Any money made from domains is a bonus. At the moment, I see domain names as an investment rather than a trading commodity.

•••
You do realize that the new gtld's are WAY more parked than .com and .net domains, right?
69% of .xyz domains and 51% of .top domains are parked, while .com+.net don't surpass 10-20% from what I know, so if someone should die that would definetly be the new gtld's :)
Anyway I don't belive gtld's will ever die, I think they also have the possibility to sell for 7 figures, but not in the next 5-10 years because people will always type-in getwebsite.com rather than get.website, .com IMO will always remain the king.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back