NameSilo

Will Dot.Com's Become The Dinosaurs Of The Internet?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
During the Internet bubble, you were an automatic millionaire if you owned a one-word domain name that matched your business (example: Car.com, Hotel.com and Sex.com etc). Now that all the good ones are taken, it seems to be more than popular to snatch up a domain name with a crazy extension.

Source: BusinessInsider.com

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Other extensions will play a role, but .COM will always be the most in demand virtual real estate.

Other extensions are like houses in the suburbs, .COM are like mansions on the beach.

Brad

•••
That is one of the worst articles I have ever read.

•••
Other extensions are like houses in the suburbs, .COM are like mansions on the beach.
I agree with you on that, Brad. Though I believe not all suburbs are made equal. :)

•••
I really do enjoy your threads, Poet. I love reading them. But a lotta the things you post in Industry News aren't really news, at all. Could you reread your threads before posting them, just to make sure you're posting in the right place? I'd appreciate it :)

•••
Other extensions will play a role, but .COM will always be the most in demand virtual real estate.

Brad

i agree.. so what extensions are the slums then? :)

.com will always be the king.

•••
Looks like the guy writes for search engines, not humans. No research or examples there except no_url_shorteners, and no real advice, just "it depends".

I'd be more concerned about all domain names becoming less important because of voice activated search and location awareness, and Facebook type sites and Groupon type companies.

Oh too bad, domainosaur.com is already registered and a few months old and taken in the plural, could still get the hyphenated version and set up a Jurassic Parking site.

Last edited:
•••
I really do enjoy your threads, Poet. I love reading them. But a lotta the things you post in Industry News aren't really news, at all. Could you reread your threads before posting them, just to make sure you're posting in the right place? I'd appreciate it :)
No problem buddy :) To be honest, many times I feel like a thread doesn't fit exactly this section because it's not strictly technical (though the articles I post here I always find them on the major industry blogs - TheDomains.com wrote a full post around this article), but I don't think it fits the Break Room because I feel that section is for off topic threads only (one goes there to relax a little bit from his domain job/hobby, not to see the same things). At the same time, if I post it in the Domain Discussion section, I'm issued an infraction because I can't post live links (apparently you can't post live links in any section other than Domain Industry and Break Room).

I'm glad you moved it to the Domain Discussion, but now I'm removing the link above otherwise someone is going to send me an infraction notice :)

Last edited:
•••
Source: BusinessInsider.com - Enough said - Junk

•••
We need a few more forum, I admit. lot of times, I read hings and go, "This doesn't belong here" but after looking. I can't find a forum that truly befits the thread. I think I'll talk to the other mods about that :)

No problem buddy :) To be honest, many times I feel like a thread doesn't fit exactly this section because it's not strictly technical (though the articles I post here I always find them on the major industry blogs - TheDomains.com wrote a full post around this article), but I don't think it fits the Break Room because I feel that section is for off topic threads only (one goes there to relax a little bit from his domain job/hobby, not to see the same things). At the same time, if I post it in the Domain Discussion section, I'm issued an infraction because I can't post live links (apparently you can't post live links in any section other than Domain Industry and Break Room).

I'm glad you moved it to the Domain Discussion, but now I'm removing the link above otherwise someone is going to send me an infraction notice :)

•••
We need a few more forum, I admit. lot of times, I read hings and go, "This doesn't belong here" but after looking. I can't find a forum that truly befits the thread. I think I'll talk to the other mods about that :)
That would be great :)

•••
Saying .com's would become like dinosaurs one day, is like saying all beachfront property around the world will become worthless.

The only possibility in this happening is if someone creates a type of following, or genius marketing scheme, a distraction, etc. that brings people's attention towards another extension.

The likelyhood though, is very minimal, unless of course Don Draper is involved somehow.

Until then, I'd just hang on to those .com's.

•••
Saying .com's would become like dinosaurs one day, is like saying all beachfront property around the world will become worthless.

Another Comparison would be like if everyone one day moved out of ALL the cities, into rural undeveloped areas...

dotCOM is king until domains no longer exist. For Example EVERY technology goes voice activated and keyboards are no longer used...

•••
this is the stupidest thing ever

just as stupid as when WIRED did their "the web is dead" crap

•••
It appears to be a VERY safe bet that .com will remain the top extension in the US for as long as domains have relevance.

Internationally, NO. There are already countries where the ccTLD has become .com's equal or even daddy. I expect that to become more and more common.

Will .com become a dinosaur? Eventually, YES.
Why? Because NOTHING lasts for ever (except greed and lust).

At least right now there are signs that indicate that .coms may eventually become nothing more just ONE avenue to (occasionally) downloading/installing an app (with stiff competition and eventual overthrow from "app store apps").

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

Brad

Unless there are other even better (with "better" meaning more convenient here) mansions on the same or better beaches available...

Last edited:
•••

Brad

Spot and I don't like the beach. We prefer the deep dark woods.

•••

The fact that the earth has a more or less a fixed number of beaches (at least let's hope so) makes that a bad comparison.

Should new better beaches emerge? Then yes, the older beaches would be worth less.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Another Comparison would be like if everyone one day moved out of ALL the cities, into rural undeveloped areas...

dotCOM is king until domains no longer exist. For Example EVERY technology goes voice activated and keyboards are no longer used...

If some market force or consumer preference caused everyone to want to or have to move to rural areas, then yes, the rural areas would go up in value.

How would a shift from keyboards to voice recognition by itself replace .com??

•••

One day when I walk into my office sit down at a screen with a micrphone and say "Go to Dell" or "Buy some black Shoes" or "Banking". The computer will know what bank I bank at and will bring up the site, it will know Dell is my computer supplier and I wont have to type Dell.com. Or when i want to buy black shoes it wont bring up Shoes.com rather it will pull black shoes from all over the web, much like Google Products does.

I use Voice on my iPhone... I tell google what I want and it delivers it, it does not require me to type in or even look at a domain.. I trust Google to deliver quality results just via my voice command...

Obviously we are a long way off, but i twill come.

•••
One day when I walk into my office sit down at a screen with a micrphone and say "Go to Dell" or "Buy some black Shoes" or "Banking". The computer will know what bank I bank at and will bring up the site, it will know Dell is my computer supplier and I wont have to type Dell.com. Or when i want to buy black shoes it wont bring up Shoes.com rather it will pull black shoes from all over the web, much like Google Products does.

I use Voice on my iPhone... I tell google what I want and it delivers it, it does not require me to type in or even look at a domain.. I trust Google to deliver quality results just via my voice command...

No, we are not a long way off at all. Today you could set up voice recognition to bring up your bookmarked bank when you say "bank" and put up number 1 choice from google or bring up google products or whatever when you say "shoes", but that is not how most people want it (with the possible exception of the bank part). And that is why we have domains, and that is why the answer is no, voice recognition does not make .com obsolete.

•••
To much has been invested in .COM for it ever to become a dinosaur. Maybe when the world ends...

•••

There are way too many issues with voice recognition for it to ever take over IMO. Especially privacy related concerns.

Do you really want to blurt everything you are doing out loud in public?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
To much has been invested in .COM for it ever to become a dinosaur. Maybe when the world ends...

The exact same thing was said by many about bronze tools, the feudal system, sailing ships, steam ships, steam locomotives, vacuum tubes,...

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

By the way, I am NOT trying to say that .com is dead. Not at all. Nor am I trying to say that it will die soon. But I am saying that EVENTUALLY it will be replaced by someting else.

Last edited:
•••
EVENTUALLY it will be replaced by someting else.

Everything will be replaced eventually by newer technology. I'm just saying that .com will never be replaced by some other extension that comes out as far as popularity goes. .CO/.CM are laughable.

The only way .COM will become irrelevant is if technology changes and domain names and search engines are no longer used anymore. In that case all other TLD's will be in the same sinking boat.

•••
Everything will be replaced eventually by newer technology. I'm just saying that .com will never be replaced by some other extension that comes out as far as popularity goes. .CO/.CM are laughable.

The only way .COM will become irrelevant is if technology changes and domain names and search engines are no longer used anymore. In that case all other TLD's will be in the same sinking boat.

Yes, but that will probably happen well before "the world ends".

•••
I think this is THE question to ponder. It doesn't make sense that there would be a difference between typing or saying an extension. Saying .info will never make it better than .com, No way.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

And how will it get the info??! Will you store EVERY web site in existence on your computer? You could program it for your bank, yeah, but it'll never happen that it'll replace Google or a search engine. No way in heaven or hell.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back