IT.COM

discuss Will .COM remain the undisputed king in 5 years?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will .COM remain the undisputed king in 5 years?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes, absolutely

votes
    77.8%
  • I don't think so

votes
    22.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
In light of the metaverse, meta names, and the popularity of .IO as well as .XYZ names, do you still think that the gen Z would consider .COM as the go-to domain name for their businesses? Or will they start using other names, thereby making .COM less important?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am a fan of cctld's and even I do not think there is any chance of .com being knocked off the prime position.

What 'might' occur, and that which I think we are seeing occur, is that other suffixes are being utilised as well as the .com. This is giving the impression to some that .com is losing it's almost stranglehold at the top. This IMO is an eronious impression to hold. There are some domains in other extensions that undoubtedly would work amazingly well, memorable domains being the main ones to consider here, indeed with the correct advertising / marketing could well do better than the .com - but these are as rare as hens teeth.

This is just an opinion and it could be as right or wrong as any contrary opinion. I remember 18 years ago, around the time I started domaining seriously, similar questions as that asked in the OP were being asked even then.

•••
In my opinion, .com domains would always remain king, at least for the foreseeable future.

Like the @TheBaldOne already said, other cctld's will just be used alongside .com's

•••
Voted no because I don't think dot com will have any power in 2027. Google will get rid of domain names and go for brands. So will the social media channels. Domains will lose value considerably. Unless developed.

•••
5 years are short interval but in 10 years or 15 - might be there is nothing like domain names << who knows>>

•••
Bank First bought BankFirst.com for $800K in Q4 2021, after using bankfirstwi.bank - (.Bank). Many of the new gtlds have expensive renewals. In the case of (.bank) renewals are reportedly $1K annually. Not discussed enough in the Domain Industry is the serious SPAM issues the new gTLDs have been experiencing.

https://domainincite.com/27396-bank-spends-800000-to-move-from-a-bank-to-the-exact-match-com

Then there will always be the lost traffic and lost email correspondence to the EMD (.com).

(.com) isn't going anywhere but up in price, unless URLs themselves somehow are replaced by a new technology this decade.

Last edited:
•••
5 years in technology is a very long time. A lot can change. However, if most of the things regarding the internet and how we use it stay the same, .com will be the top extension. It's simply too big to fail (to be number one). Companies have poured billions into marketing it and people are the most familiar with it. I'm not sure if there is anything a single extension can do to take it over now.

•••
.com is inbedded into people's brains, even people don't use the internet much know .com.

This won't change while people are still using desktops and laptops, i don't see web3 as a threat, a bigger threat came from the smartphone and apps and .com came through that even stronger and any other extention that comes out and people register a keyword the .com owner has just makes the .com even stronger.

Last edited:
•••
If Gen Z could buy/afford .COM they would. They're using other tlds since they are cheaper to acquire. Once they have enough funding, of course they rather have .COM. I read this in a recent Domain Pro article.

•••
Nope, when new startups keep adopting .xyz they won’t be needed go to .com and .com will look like old fashion until then say 3-5 years.

Last edited:
•••
Nope, when new startups keep adopting .xyz they won’t be needed go to .com and .com will look like old fashion until then say 3-5 years.
.com has been around for 20+ years for a reason, and I doubt many call it old-fashioned.
.xyz may be the sexy tld now, until the next tld comes along maybe .abc, then where does that leave .xyz?
Right now, I would choose .io over .xyz, shorter, self explanatory, and more aesthetically appealing.
Personally, I see nothing attractive about .xyz.

Last edited:
•••
I’d never wanted to comment about any negativity about .com until I saw many trying to accuse .xyz, well, it’s a sign that they’re terrified that it has potential to share a huge market in domain industry, .io (input/output) is appealing I get that but is only proper for tech niche however .xyz has no genuine meaning can encompass every niches. .abc is meant to be at the start position not at the end.

•••
.com is inbedded into people's brains, even people don't use the internet much know .com.

This won't change while people are still using desktops and laptops, i don't see web3 as a threat, a bigger threat came from the smartphone and apps and .com came through that even stronger and any other extention that comes out and people register a keyword the .com owner has just makes the .com even stronger.
The dot com will technically remain stronger but people (consumers) and startups don’t care. They care about price.

The people who hold a dot com for 20 yrs and then see a sales report of a co or an io or an xyz in their name for a fraction of what they want for their dot com are the ones who should have some concerns about possible perception changes. With each developed non com the argument becomes weaker. What we think doesn’t matter. What matters is the buyers perceptions.

What is the point of being the “best” if your name never sells because the alternatives are cheaper? This is about sales not about a status symbol. You can die in your sleep still having that status symbol in your account.

I think we should not turn a blind eye to the fact that its not earth shattering to buyers anymore if they have to get a non dot com.

Defensive acquisitions is almost getting to be a must for anyone holding top tier dictionary words.

Last edited:
•••
The dot com will technically remain stronger but people (consumers) and startups don’t care. They care about price.

The people who hold a dot com for 20 yrs and then see a sales report of a co or an io or an xyz in their name for a fraction of what they want for their dot com are the ones who should have some concerns about possible perception changes. With each developed non com the argument becomes weaker. What we think doesn’t matter. What matters is the buyers perceptions.

What is the point of being the “best” if your name never sells because the alternatives are cheaper? This is about sales not about a status symbol. You can die in your sleep still having that status symbol in your account.

I think we should not turn a blind eye to the fact that its not earth shattering to buyers anymore if they have to get a non dot com.

Defensive acquisitions is almost getting to be a must for anyone holding top tier dictionary words.
I do agree that buyers gravitate to other tlds because .com is expensive to acquire.
But I don't think .com owners are worried, .com had a record breaking year last year and already a $1M+ sale in first week of January. If anything, they may think buyers having to buy cheaper alternatives makes their .com even more exclusive.

Also, other than Swetha's xyz sales, have there been any other high priced xyz sales? And the prices Swetha fetched, is not really helping xyz become a cheaper alternative. She's closing the gap between buyer price perception of .com vs .xyz.

Last edited:
•••
Could be a possibility.
.com has been around for 20+ years for a reason, and I doubt many call it old-fashioned.
.xyz may be the sexy tld now, until the next tld comes along maybe .abc, then where does that leave .xyz?
Right now, I would choose .io over .xyz, shorter, self explanatory, and more aesthetically appealing.
Personally, I see nothing attractive about .xyz.
Depends on the use case also. As a domainer, .XYZ may come cheap if you are looking at volumes.

I do agree that buyers gravitate to other tlds because .com is expensive to acquire.
But I don't think .com owners are worried, .com had a record breaking year last year and already a $1M+ sale in first week of January. If anything, they may think buyers having to buy cheaper alternatives makes their .com even more exclusive.

Also, other than Swetha's xyz sales, have there been any other high priced xyz sales? And the prices Swetha fetched, is not really helping xyz become a cheaper alternative. She's closing the gap between buyer price perception of .com vs .xyz.
It could be the case that others are not reporting as much? There might be other investors and sales too?

•••

Fraction of what they can get for .com? Have you not seen what investors want for xyz's? Have you seen what some .co's sell for and .io's?

The truth is start-ups may go for a brand like Moonskyy.co (or .io) because it costs them $10, they are uneducated about domains and what a great brand can do for business, but once they get into their 2nd year of trading the penny drops that their brand is not very good, rebrand and thats where .com comes in.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back