Domain Empire

Will Changing Blog from Google to WP Affect Ranking?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VisionEdger

Account Closed
Impact
I have a blog I am changing from Blogger to WP and was curious will this change affect my google ranking for the blog?

Also if I change my domain name will this affect my new WP blogs ranking within google?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
switching to wordpress will probably affect your place in the serps (for the better). changing your domain for the same blog will also make a difference. if you want to keep everything the same, then you should set up a 301 redirection from your old domain to the new domain, and keep all content the same.

•••
In the short term - yes, it will affect your rankings. In the long term, if you have good content and your backlinks remain intact, you'll recover. There's a number of things you need to do though, including the 301 redirects, make sure you have the proper SEO plugins for wordpress (friendly urls, anti-duplicate content, etc)

•••
I recently changed over from free blogger to WP (paid hosting), and found my blog dropped from a PR3 to a PR0!. I imported everything (content, backlinks) from blogger to WP.
After doing some research, I found that the search engines gave blogger (owned by Google) a higher priority than my new WP hosted theme, did anyone else find this issue?.

•••
Now your domain is something.xxx or is it something.blogger.com?

I think if you have your own domain something.xxx and just have it pointed to blogger, there should be no problem when going for Wordpress (self hosted, not wordpress.com). Make sure to keep all posts the same they are.

But I'm not 100% sure, I have not done this before. Maybe some minor drops can occur.

•••
mosilager said:
I recently changed over from free blogger to WP (paid hosting), and found my blog dropped from a PR3 to a PR0!.
there are many reasons why your blog would have dropped to zero, but i highly doubt it is directly related to switching from blogger to self-hosted wordpress. also keep in mind that pagerank is only updated a few times each year and you could have just "had it coming" anyway.

•••
or you can setup your custom error 404 pages to redirect to frontpage so you gain the same audiences as well.

shockie said:
switching to wordpress will probably affect your place in the serps (for the better). changing your domain for the same blog will also make a difference. if you want to keep everything the same, then you should set up a 301 redirection from your old domain to the new domain, and keep all content the same.

•••
and5rey said:
Now your domain is something.xxx or is it something.blogger.com?

I think if you have your own domain something.xxx and just have it pointed to blogger, there should be no problem when going for Wordpress (self hosted, not wordpress.com). Make sure to keep all posts the same they are.

But I'm not 100% sure, I have not done this before. Maybe some minor drops can occur.

I use both versions.

I am certain converison from blogger to wp may have a short term affect however its content and the domain will pull through as it did with blogger blog and get me to page 1 & 2 ranking.

Now after 6 months with blogger I am on many page 1 & 2 on google for more than 50 searched keywords and phrases so I am gaining audience but my blog is so slow now that it taking so long to load. I use statcounter to keep track and feedburner. Had cj.com but it did absolute zilch for me. Also had amazon affiliate that did nothing.

I'll get my developer to do his magic and get it set up bettter so this is a big step for it and wp makes it so much nicer. I'll also get him to set up the redirects as mentioned.

Thanks for the info!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back