IT.COM

status-resolved Why there are no new gTLDs domains available at TOP Domains section?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
I just wonder why there are no new gTLDs domains available at TOP Domains section?

Many member of this forum are seriously investing in new gTLDs, and have acquired very valuable names.
The main rule for getting our domains to TOP Domains sections seems to be "No submissions under $1,000 resale value." I have recently submitted domains there which with high probability would fetch low - mid $ XXXX, and one of them low - mid % XX XXX. They were not accepted there.

When we check domain names in TOP domain section, there are all .coms and .net, many of them very valuable, and that is great. But how it is possible that there are no new gTLDs at all? None of them are higher then of $ 1000 value? I understand that NamePros needs to maintain high quality in this section, but then, should not be then criteria description changed?

I can imagine that when somebody submits LL.com, there is no discussion (and honestly no brain energy needed) to see that it immediately belongs in TOP Domain section. But how decisions about value of new gTLDs names are made, at the moment? Who is reviewing/deciding it?

I think we should start seeing more quality new gTLDs names in TOP Domains section, because more and more NP members invest in new gTLDs names. I understand it is extremely difficult to put valuations on new gTLDs, and there are millions and millions of really crappy names registered, and above all, most of their owners are putting absurdly high prices on them. But again, this is NamePros...so where else one should expect to get good quality support?

If Eric @Eric Lyon would respond, it would be very appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have recently submitted domains there which with high probability would fetch low - mid $ XXXX, and one of them low - mid % XX XXX. They were not accepted there.

post them here. I think it is hard to sell new extensions on the reseller market. 5 Figures seems pretty high to me. I think you might have unrealistic expectations.

•••
@dordomai this is not marketing article about my 2 domain names, I can make much better :) I am seriously interested in the topic, as I made my research and I know content of portfolia of many members here..and some of their domains are very valuable. However, I will PM you the names so you can make your personal opinion, I am curious what you will think. But again, this post is not about my particular names.

•••
post them here unless you don't want to. I don't think I am particularly good at estimating values for nGTLDs. Better let the crowd decide. I think the main point is that the resale value needs to be above $1000. Even when a domain can sell for 5 figures to an end-user(in theory) it doesn't necessarily mean that resellers are willing to pay a substantial amount for it. Most investors are skeptical when it comes to the new extensions.

Last edited:
•••
Very seldom will an nTLD domain be valued at $1000 across the board of legitimate domain investors. Be it because of widespread disbelief in their success or just due to the newness of them, the top section is for proven domains with high liquid value.

99% of the domains in the top category, if put it the appraisal section, will have their values justified by the crowd of investors. I know some ntld investors don't like the appraisal section for the opinions it returns, but it's the reality of trying to render a true value for a new trend of domain investing.

If you have names that you deem are worthy of being in the top category then feel free to share

•••
@dordomai I just PM you the names. What do you think? Are the less then $1000? :)

•••
Very seldom will an nTLD domain be valued at $1000 across the board of legitimate domain investors. Be it because of widespread disbelief in their success or just due to the newness of them, the top section is for proven domains with high liquid value.

99% of the domains in the top category, if put it the appraisal section, will have their values justified by the crowd of investors. I know some ntld investors don't like the appraisal section for the opinions it returns, but it's the reality of trying to render a true value for a new trend of domain investing.

If you have names that you deem are worthy of being in the top category then feel free to share
I agree with you..it is seldom that people are holding valuable new GTLDs..99% are crap, agreed. But what about 1%? Why there is no new gTLD in TOP domain section? This is my main question.

Sorry for not posting my particular names here, but I do not like cheap marketing. If interested, please PM me, I will share them with you and you can make your own opinion :)

•••
@dordomai I just PM you the names. What do you think? Are the less then $1000? :)

To a Namepros user they are in my (unqualified - as I don't invest in nGTLDs) opinion definitely worth less than $1000

Maybe ask a few other members to get a more feedback.

•••
To a Namepros user they are in my (unqualified - as I don't invest in nGTLDs) opinion definitely worth less than $1000

Maybe ask a few other members to get a more feedback.
I do not agree with this, but it is nothing new..lets agree, that we often disagree, it is fine :)

But again..even if my 2 particular names would not be worth it, are there no new gTLDS which should make it to TOP Domain section?

•••
I do not agree with this, but it is nothing new..lets agree, that we often disagree, it is fine :)

But again..even if my 2 particular names would not be worth it, are there no new gTLDS which should make it to TOP Domain section?

I am sure there would be some. Something like travel.agency for example.

The best thing would be to let the market decide and auction them off in the forum or wait for offers. If they are worth $1000 you will get offers in the price range.

Last edited:
•••
I am sure there would be some. Something like travel.agency for example.

The best thing would be to let the market decide and auction them off in the forum or wait for offers. If they are worth $1000 you will get offers in the price range.
Yes, sure,, but the same is valid for LL.com too :) You can also auction them or wait for offers..that does not really respond to my question, which I am asking: why we do not see ANY new gTLD name in TOP domains tread, and who/how appraises new gTLDs names values.

•••
I challenge any new gtld holder to show us a newgtld he owns that he believes is easily worth over a $1000 and let's vote on it.
That would be interesting:)

P.s. I've noticed many keyword.ngtld that may have had foreseen value a couple years ago unable to sell here for a few dollars.

Last edited:
•••
@Brandingtheweb.com I am pretty confident in these names, but I can not post them here as this is not a marketing thread. But I have PMed you the names, you can write here your opinion without naming them :)

Folks, is there any new gTLDs holder who succeeded to get new gTLD name in TOP Domains section?

•••
I challenge any new gtld holder to show us a newgtld he owns that he believes is easily worth over a $1000 and let's vote on it.

Ok, I'll post 5 of mine... none of them worth over $1000?

virtual.world
vr.tours
auto.racing
visitors.guide
cigar.shop

Last edited:
•••
@lolwarrior out of curiosity how much did you pay for these names that you think are valuable? Or at the very least a proce range.

•••
@lolwarrior out of curiosity how much did you pay for these names that you think are valuable? Or at the very least a proce range.
I try to buy names which are for standard renewal, in past it was well possible. Last few months registries woke up, and started to price their good names very defensively with high price tags, so now it is almost mission impossible. So at the moment, I also buy some premium priced, but still trying to keep price < 100 USD, which is still harder and harder.
To answer your question, I was lucky to buy both of them for less then 100 USD. At the moment, if you would like to buy any reasonable combo using keyword of one of them (which is very trendy), registries will ask you to pay $55,000.00 reg fee, and the same yearly renewals (probably if you approach them directly you can negotiate some deal, but still..). That is - among plenty of other reasons - some indication of value for me.

•••
Ok, I'll post 5 of mine... none of them worth over $1000?

virtual.world
vr.tours
auto.racing
visitors.guide
cigar.shop
The names are gems, no doubt here! Have you tried to get them to TOP Domains section? I am sure nobody can object the value here.

•••
•••
No, haven't tried.
I would really wonder what would happen if you try..maybe we would have first member of new gTLDs at that section :)

You know, why I am interesting in this is because at the moment it seems that when somebody have significant funds, they can (should) invest them only in .com or .net, because there is basically almost nothing else in this section.

TOP domain section should, imo, contain all TOP domains with some particular value..investors can still freely choose what they like. If they like LLL.com, they can buy it, but some of them can consider very good new gTLDs combos, if it is presented there.

•••
There are not many gtlds that will get appraised above 1k on here..thats not saying they will never sell for mote than $1K, but the fact is that 98% (probably higher) of companies have never heard of them so thats a massive dent in who you can sell it to...it really leaves you with domainers and you all know how tight we are☺

@ealfert ....I like the names and the words go well together...but..Its hard to convince a legit company to pay big $$ on an extension they know nothing about..

Feel free to pm me the names @lolwarrior

•••
@lolwarrior nothing personal but you might want to stop buying names until you have a better understanding of the domaining industry. If you got new gtld's for under $100 then there is a very good chance that they are not even worth a cup of coffee. You might not want to believe me now on this and argue with me until your blue in the face on how wrong I am but after you've got several renewals into each of these names with no interest you will be singing a different tune. Once again nothing personal just trying to help out.

Last edited:
•••
Once again nothing personal just trying to help out.
Thats a remark I see all the time on this forum where some domainers keep saying that they only want to help. My experience however, is that a professional domainer in a private conversation messaged me that I had some amazing names. In public on this forum the same domainer was totally bashing the new gtlds. Only to help the unexperienced domainers of course.....

•••
Thats a remark I see all the time on this forum where some domainers keep saying that they only want to help. My experience however, is that a professional domainer in a private conversation messaged me that I had some amazing names. In public on this forum the same domainer was totally bashing the new gtlds. Only to help the unexperienced domainers of course.....
Even so called professionals differ on their opinions, I'd have him put his money where his mouth is and make you an offer. If he's not willing then he's just a professional talker imo.

•••
Even so called professionals differ on their opinions, I'd have him put his money where his mouth is and make you an offer. If he's not willing then he's just a professional talker imo.
Seeing the trackrecord, this domainer is experienced. But my point was that the difference in opinion was by the same domainer. One opinion in public (to help the newbees of course) and apparantly another opinion in private. And in the private conversation there was no hint whatsoever that I should dump my amazing domains.....

•••
When we organize sales threads, we place them in the most specific forum that we can. It's the same concept that we use for discussion threads: all new gTLD discussions go in the gTLD Discussion forum (never in
General Domain Discussion).

The same happens for sales threads with "New generic top-level domain (New gTLD)" and "Make an Offer" and "Top Domains".

This is standard on forums, but we don't move everything and not all members follow these best practices of posting threads in the most specific forum. ;)

Hope that helps,

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back