IT.COM

status-resolved Why there are no new gTLDs domains available at TOP Domains section?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Brands.International

MarekTop Member
Impact
I just wonder why there are no new gTLDs domains available at TOP Domains section?

Many member of this forum are seriously investing in new gTLDs, and have acquired very valuable names.
The main rule for getting our domains to TOP Domains sections seems to be "No submissions under $1,000 resale value." I have recently submitted domains there which with high probability would fetch low - mid $ XXXX, and one of them low - mid % XX XXX. They were not accepted there.

When we check domain names in TOP domain section, there are all .coms and .net, many of them very valuable, and that is great. But how it is possible that there are no new gTLDs at all? None of them are higher then of $ 1000 value? I understand that NamePros needs to maintain high quality in this section, but then, should not be then criteria description changed?

I can imagine that when somebody submits LL.com, there is no discussion (and honestly no brain energy needed) to see that it immediately belongs in TOP Domain section. But how decisions about value of new gTLDs names are made, at the moment? Who is reviewing/deciding it?

I think we should start seeing more quality new gTLDs names in TOP Domains section, because more and more NP members invest in new gTLDs names. I understand it is extremely difficult to put valuations on new gTLDs, and there are millions and millions of really crappy names registered, and above all, most of their owners are putting absurdly high prices on them. But again, this is NamePros...so where else one should expect to get good quality support?

If Eric @Eric Lyon would respond, it would be very appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I just wonder why there are no new gTLDs domains available at TOP Domains section?
Because:
the top section is for proven domains with high liquid value.
This. I have emphasized the important keyword.

Many member of this forum are seriously investing in new gTLDs, and have acquired very valuable names.
And most of them are not very experienced...

The main rule for getting our domains to TOP Domains sections seems to be "No submissions under $1,000 resale value." I have recently submitted domains there which with high probability would fetch low - mid $ XXXX, and one of them low - mid % XX XXX.
But how many have you sold so far in that price range ? Theory is one thing. Actual practice is another.

who/how appraises new gTLDs names values.
You don't. You can't appraise a TLD when there isn't an established market.

If we start accepting new gTLDs then we should also accept exotic ccTLDs like .gs because they still have more recorded sales than some new gTLDs.

I think that even the names posted by Ealfert should not be accepted. It's not that they aren't good, the problem is the lack of liquidity.

Now imagine that one TLD in particular becomes very hot and fashionable, and we start seeing lots of aftermarket sales (made by domainers, not registries). Then it would be acceptable to allow listing in that particular TLD. For instance, had the Top domains section been around in 2007, it would have featured a number of .mobis.

•••
When we organize sales threads, we place them in the most specific forum that we can. It's the same concept that we use for discussion threads: all new gTLD discussions go in the gTLD Discussion forum (never in
General Domain Discussion).

The same happens for sales threads with "New generic top-level domain (New gTLD)" and "Make an Offer" and "Top Domains".

This is standard on forums, but we don't move everything and not all members follow these best practices of posting threads in the most specific forum. ;)

Hope that helps,
@Eric Lyon thank you for the reply, it is appreciated!
I just would like to rephrase my question (lets now put aside my 2 domains which were rejected, if they did not deserved to be there, I accept it, it is no problem at all :) : but the issue which as a result of this came to my mind is this : Top Domain section is the only section on this forum where our posts are reviewed by NP staff, and this makes it section where high quality of names is basically guaranteed. When somebody with large budget is thinking about investing (and they might not be really decided what they want in some cases), they will visit this section first. As hard as I am looking at this section, I can not find any new gTLDs names there at all.

So my question is: is there a chance that very high quality new gTLD name will get there, if it is submitted? Do you think that time is ripe for this? Or basically just keywords and short .COM, .NET and some ccTLDs will get there, at the moment?

•••
@lolwarrior nothing personal but you might want to stop buying names until you have a better understanding of the domaining industry. If you got new gtld's for under $100 then there is a very good chance that they are not even worth a cup of coffee. You might not want to believe me now on this and argue with me until your blue in the face on how wrong I am but after you've got several renewals into each of these names with no interest you will be singing a different tune. Once again nothing personal just trying to help out.
Lol, that made me laugh .. please do not worry, I am not going to argue with you "until I am blue in my face", hehe :)

No, I am just joking, but more seriously, sure, you can "help me out", but please only in case you are actively investing in new gTLD names and actually have some experience with selling, outbound, dealing with registries, etc. I am always willing to learn from people who are more successful, 100%!

•••
Ok, I'll post 5 of mine... none of them worth over $1000?

virtual.world
vr.tours
auto.racing
visitors.guide
cigar.shop
Well At least it makes sense, i still wouldn't pay 1k+ higher renewal costs for them.
Different perceptions? For example I own Visitorsguide.us, you own visitors.guide. I'd rather own the .us (more established, lower renewals, less surprises, stronger registrant rights,...) if i can't have the .com. I'm sure some would disagree. P.s. I'm not hating on newgs Imo i think they may find a place online as a supplement to marketing at most but not as the main online presence for a business.

•••
There are not many gtlds that will get appraised above 1k on here..thats not saying they will never sell for mote than $1K, but the fact is that 98% (probably higher) of companies have never heard of them so thats a massive dent in who you can sell it to...it really leaves you with domainers and you all know how tight we are☺

@ealfert ....I like the names and the words go well together...but..Its hard to convince a legit company to pay big $$ on an extension they know nothing about..

Feel free to pm me the names @lolwarrior
Is Facebook a legit company? :) Happened 2 days ago ..

Last edited:
•••
is there a chance that very high quality new gTLD name will get there, if it is submitted?
The way we have things organized now:

We could change this organization method, but then the Top Domains section would be flooded with things like liquid domains such as LLLL .com's, and I don't think anyone would like that. If you want to buy liquid LLLL .com's, then it's easy enough to visit the Liquid Domains section.

Hope that helps explain it.

•••
Thanks Eric, that is good explanation for me, now I understand.

Still, I would like to see some TOP new gTLDs names in TOP domain section. If there is a buyer with real budget, and he goes to New gTLD names section, they will be presented with literally thousands of names submitted there by their owners, with almost no chance for uneducated buyer to distinguish gems from total garbage without spending days of research to go through them.

At the same time, I need to admit that personally I have no idea who/how would be able to decide which of new gTLDs names are indeed TOP at the moment, as they are so new and so many and very little data/stats really available at present time. Plus everyone here incl. me claims about their names they are absolute gems, gems and nothing else. So imo at this time, maybe some manageable way to get more TOP names to TOP section would be some voting mechanism..in case particular name gets enough votes, it can get to TOP section. It might not only improve content in this section, but people also love to vote and judge on each other names, so I bet something like that would be very attractive for many users here. And well maintained TOP section can also bring more visitors to site. People just love contests. This can be implemented not only for new gTLDs, but also for ccTLDs and IDNs, in case they are really TOP (by TOP I would imagine a domain name, for which I need to pay a considerable amount of money, but it will also get a considerable amount of value).

So just my 2 cents :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back