Dynadot

.mobi Why Mobile Web Sites Trump Mobile Apps/The Great App Bubble

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Why Mobile Web Sites Trump Mobile Apps

I’ve been an advocate for years of consumer marketers, employment marketers, and others making their web sites accessible to anyone with a web-enabled mobile phone. I’ve also repeatedly reminded those folks that iPhones are wonderful, but atypical when it comes to viewing a web site through a mobile device. If you or your I.T. people look at your organization’s web site through an iPhone and pronounce it in good shape for all mobile users, think again. Only about 10 percent of mobile users with web-enabled phones have iPhones and the vast majority of the others have web-enabled phones like mine: they can access web sites but the vast majority of those sites are so messed up that they’re practically or completely unusable. Don’t believe me? Try entering your web site address into the dotMobi Emulator but be warned: you’ll likely puke when you see just how bad your web site looks on a couple of very typical mobile phones.
If you belief the hype in articles such as WIRED’s “Web is Dead,” then you’d question the sanity of any marketer who doesn’t already have at least one and preferably multiple apps available for virtually every major mobile phone.

Why Mobile Web Sites Trump Mobile Apps « CollegeRecruiter.com Blog

The Great App Bubble

My app library--littered with exactly 87 apps I used once and never touched again--now reminds me of a graveyard of defunct company logos from the dot com boom. Like the go-go days of 1999 when everyone had to have a Web site, today everyone wants an app. iPhone, iPad, Android apps for all, plus Blackberry for the very ambitious.
Does this mean companies should stop making apps? Unfortunately, no. Until the bubble bursts, apps are the only mobile game in town. And without a doubt the future of digital is the ubiquitous, pocket-sized screen. What's needed are apps tied to real business models that have real ROI. And,companies should build apps with their eyes open about what they should realistically expect to accomplish with what they develop. Having an app for an app's sake is not enough.

The Great App Bubble | Fast Company

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back