IT.COM

.mobi Mobile Marketing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I just found an interesting book which I immediately ordered, that might interest you as well. A whole chapter is dedicated to dotMobi. There is also a list of the top 15 mobile portals in the sample of the book. Only three mobis are among them, but maybe this will change in the future?

Table of Contents

9 Mobile Website Development 153

Mobile Web and WAP 154

dotMobi Domains 155

Effectively Organizing and Architecting a Mobile Site 156

Chapter 7

Micro - Sites , Mobile Affiliate Marketing , and Web Directories 129

Mobile Web Portals

Because the mobile demographic is very interested in accessing information quickly and easily, mobile Web portals tend to be quite successful. A portal is simply an entry page that gives viewers immediate access to information and news without having to search for it or visit multiple websites. Portals bring in news, weather, and information from other sites, to aggregate it and make it easily accessible for their users. Although creating mobile portals is not exclusively an act of marketing, it could be a good way to create and maintain relationships with your customers. If you have the right product, and have the resources to create and maintain a portal, it might be worth your time and effort to promote it in other channels to drive traffic. (If you are not interested in creating a portal, existing portals are always a good place to advertise.) Table 7.1 lists some of the top mobile portals.

Table 7.1 Top Mobile Web Portals

MSN MSN Mobile Home
Live Search Sign In
Yahoo! http://new.m.mobile.com
AOL AOL.com iPhone AOL.com - Welcome to AOL
Dir.Mobi dir.mobi - Mobile Portal
Mobinks Directory index for mobile website, and Webapps iphone. Search engine of mobile website...
SitiosWAP WAP sites :: SitiosWAP ::
Feed2Mobile Feed2Mobile
Mowser Mowser - Mobilizing the web
FeedM8 NamePros - Buy, Sell, Discuss Domain Names
Winksite http://winksite.com
ZeroRubbish.com zerorubbish.com
In Your Mobile Portal & Link Directory - Web inyour.mobi
M4u Mobile Internet Portal
Keytoss KeyToss Mobile Web Portal Search, News, Hotel Reservations, Flight Status, Weather, Sports, Mobile Links, and Stock Quotes

Mobile Directories

Many of these portals offer directories of mobile websites to help users navigate the mobile Web. If you think back to before search engines were as good as they are today, many people used directories to navigate the Web, much like you would use a phone book to find a local business. In a directory, different mobile websites are organized by categories and subcategories so that mobile users can find what that they are looking for quickly and easily. Mobile directories are particularly valuable on the mobile Web if the sites that are listed have been editorially reviewed to ensure that they offer valuable content and will render correctly on mobile phones. Until mobile Web rendering improves, mobile directives can be used in place of search engines if users are having a hard time finding what they are seeking. Mobile directories are also a good way to promote micro-sites, affiliate sites, and traditional mobile content. In addition to helping mobile viewers find your content, links from mobile directories can help create search engine relevance and improve rankings for your mobile content, as long as the anchor text on the link is keyword rich.

This is the link to the sample of the book.
Cindy Krum - Mobile Marketing. Finding Your Customers No Matter Where They Are (2010)

Here is the link to the book at Amazon. It received mostly positive customer reviews. The reviews and the biography of the author are interesting to read.
Amazon.com: Mobile Marketing: Finding Your Customers No Matter Where They Are (9780789739766): Cindy Krum: Books

I’ll post my opinion about the book once I start or have finished reading it. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Mobile marketing will probably become the biggest segment of online marketing as in more people will be exposed to more marketing content over mobile devices than over PCs, laptops, etc.

What part, if any at all, will .mobi play in it, who knows, but right now it is not looking promising for .mobi.

•••
First, this is yet another one of those times when I am only a messanger...

Based on the preview provided by Amazon, here's what the book says about .mobi in the glossary:

".mobi domain names were first made available for purchase in 1996,..."
I'm pretty sure it was a lot later than that...

"They are not required, and frequently not desirable for mobile Web marketing, except in Asia."
Anyone know about the use of .mobi in Asia? (I didn't check out the rest of the available preview pages with instances of .mobi, maybe it's mentioned there).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back