NameSilo

analysis Why is domain market very slow for past 2 months ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rathish

Top Member
Impact
Hello domainers , i see that domain market is very slow and down for past 2 months . Does any one know the reason behind it ?

some domainers were making good money even these days too but many domainers feels the same what i feel...

When will the market raise again or hereafter will this be the situation ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I experience it too, and also the following observations:

- the number of good quality .coms in the droplist compared to 2015-16 (since I have reference) is way worse today. I guess competition is getting higher each year plus other unknown factors.

- namepros marketplace is also super slow. I usually run through the auctions and BIN threads, and I check if there is a different nic name in the thread other then the sellers nic. Not much action going on lately.

- while many of us experience slight decline Godaddy sells expired domains like hot cakes, but when you list similar quality names on their public auctions, noone shows up.

•••
Every month you might think things are slowing. And then suddenly you get great sales.

•••
Every month you might think things are slowing. And then suddenly you get great sales.
That's a real response.
I fully agreed with your statement.
From Last 1 month my sales not going good and i'm upset but today morning i have received a offer of $xxx mid and now i'm happy.

•••
when there are hundreds of domains being traded everyday...…
then how can one generalize the state of a "supposed market" as being slow?

as a single individuals' sales activity, isn't an accurate measure of the total volume of domain sales.
nor is a single individuals' portfolio an accurate measure of the total quality of the domains held by all other domainers.

in udder werds, your names may not be as good as other peoples names, which is why your sales may be slow and their sales are high or haven't slumped/

one's methods, strategies, knowledge and experience all play a part in this equation too.

imo….

•••
My current client is a Global firm and I am working on an American contract for them. I get visibility of all inbound communications from prospective clients whether it is via their website or one of their departmental telephone numbers. Last month the figures flatlined but looking at historical trends, it was the same in 2017 and 2016.
The end of year for many companies, summer breaks and lost working hours due to long weekends being taken by staff around Labor day and Columbus day are reasons for the slowdown. We estimate everything reverts back to normal in November.

•••
Summer months very slow usually. July-October.

I have found that things heat up after thanks giving

•••
u make good point ...but for the record almost all here said its slow...not just one individual ;)

almost all, isn't all, and all who have or will post here, aren't enough people to make it so.

hi then why are the other domainers here feeling the same like me...

I didn't say that i have no sale (i hvve flipped more than 20 domains in past month) , but i said that my sales are not good as of before 2 months...

Hi

my reply is to the title of the thread, as it refers to state of "the domain market".

to me, it's a blanket statement that generalizes something that really isn't concrete.
where the perception of the market, may be different for each respective buyer and seller.

you may have sold 20 names in past month, so perhaps your expectations are to sell same amount or more within same period.

on the other hand, I prolly only sold about 20 domains within the last 5 years!
and so far this year, have only sold about 4 domains....and all of those, I owned at least 10 years

we don't see the same thing, the same way, nor do we have same expectations from it, nor do we expect to have transactions within the same intervals... and our margins for return on investments may be quite different as well.

so what's slow for you and the rest who feel the same, it may just be regular speed for me

:)

just saying.....

imo...

Last edited:
•••
Emergency level Central bank rates + Loose money policy = Stock market value in the stratosphere = Highest online retail sales ever, should = Above average demand for domain names.

Something is missing from the equation.

Last edited:
•••
I wondered how last month compared to average of last year. Using NameBio last month (all extensions) 6092 sales with average price of $1068. If you compare to last year, and divide by 12 to get a monthly average, it is about 6800 sales with $1311 average price. While this supports idea that it might be a bit slower lately, it is well within normal variation I think.

•••
I always notice a slight decline in sales this time of the year, and see a gradual improvement from December onwards.

Keep motivated, and if your names are of good quality buyers will come.

•••
Hello domainers , i see that domain market is very slow and down for past 2 months . Does any one know the reason behind it ?

some domainers were making good money even these days too but many domainers feels the same what i feel...

When will the market raise again or hereafter will this be the situation ?

Its been busy for last 2 months here ? all depends how many domains u hold and what you have etc etc

•••
when there are hundreds of domains being traded everyday...…
then how can one generalize the state of a "supposed market" as being slow?

as a single individuals' sales activity, isn't an accurate measure of the total volume of domain sales.
nor is a single individuals' portfolio an accurate measure of the total quality of the domains held by all other domainers.

in udder werds, your names may not be as good as other peoples names, which is why your sales may be slow and their sales are high or haven't slumped/

one's methods, strategies, knowledge and experience all play a part in this equation too.

imo….

u make good point ...but for the record almost all here said its slow...not just one individual ;)

•••
I decided to look at just com. Last month 5186 sales with $976 average price. If you take average of last year corresponding number per month is about 5780 with $1239 average. I also decided to look at a 5 year period in com, average price $1722 with average number sales per month of 4860. Therefore while numbers don't seem to be lower, prices do seem to be going down on average.

•••
if you have time, can you exclude sales of 100k and above?

A good idea. Here are the numbers for .com only with highest price $99.9k. Sales numbers adjusted to monthly figure.

• Past 5 years 4860 per month, average $1215
  • Past year 5783 per month, average $922
  • Past month 5183, average $867
Bob

•••
Time of year can effect sales but it just goes in streaks, even if you have a large portfolio.
Some of my best months in sales have been recently.

Brad

•••
hi then why are the other domainers here feeling the same like me...

You can start a thread any month of the year and say:

Why are sales slow?

I'm having great sales.

Whatever

And you'll find somebody with the same experience.

•••
Maybe in these couple of months when companies do their financials and decide how much they have to spend on domains and such.

•••
Wasn't this the summer months in the USA? This is probably the most likely reason. Sorry if the answer was posed as a question. I'm not in USA.

•••
•••
Wasn't this the summer months in the USA? This is probably the most likely reason. Sorry if the answer was posed as a question. I'm not in USA.
Yes you right and many returning back to their homes after enjoy.

•••
•••
Be sure to invest in .com, .net and .org for best chance of selling.

Stay away from ngTLD's unless you really research them. Anecdotal reports of people selling some weirdo domain in a ngTLD should not be used as proof you can just start buying up those kind of domains because they look like they might be worth something.

Nothing wrong with buying a few with beer money, but I see way too many domainers building up large portfolios of ngTLD domains that nobody buys because end users want the main 3 TLD's.

•••
My current client is a Global firm and I am working on an American contract for them. I get visibility of all inbound communications from prospective clients whether it is via their website or one of their departmental telephone numbers. Last month the figures flatlined but looking at historical trends, it was the same in 2017 and 2016.
The end of year for many companies, summer breaks and lost working hours due to long weekends being taken by staff around Labor day and Columbus day are reasons for the slowdown. We estimate everything reverts back to normal in November.

I think this is the explanation i have been looking for ... thank's for your input friend...

•••
Summer months very slow usually. July-October.

I have found that things heat up after thanks giving

Which month is the best for you? For me it's January.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back