Dynadot

Why Dreamhost is the worst host ever!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have hosted web sites over 10 years.

About 4 months ago I moved one of my sites to dreamhost as a friend of mine recommended it.

Problems started on the first day. Site was very slow and down temporarily.

It happened almost every week and all they could say is that they are working on the problem or that my wordpress blog was using too many resources.

By too many they were talking about a site with less than 10,000 visitors a day.

And on the front page they advertise that EVERYTHING is unlimited on their plan.

Also their support takes forever, there are no phone numbers or live chat. Just email and it can take forever for them to answer.

There are lot of similar hosts out there who at least offer email and chat support. If you want to go with shared hosting try someone else - you can at least talk to someone when problems occur.

My site has been moved to mediatemple now and I never want to hear anything about Dreamhost. It is HELLHOST not dreamhost.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
dreamhost is deadhost or dying host

do not host with them

Got this email from DH aka dead host
Hello,

This is just a note to let you know your DreamHost account has been
disabled for violation of our Terms of Service listed here:

http://www.dreamhost.com/tos.html

Specifically, section 8 of Material Products, "Customer agrees to not
engage in activities pertaining to Black Hat SEO, Spamdexing, and so-
called "Scraper sites." These can all have a severely detrimental
effect on server performance and are not permitted."

As such, we have now closed your account effective immediately and
refunded all your money. It should show back up on your credit card
within 3-4 busines days.

Please do not attempt to sign up for service with DreamHost again in
the future.

Thanks!
Jeremy K

have been with DH since 2001 and they banned me. I only have 5 sites and all my emails went unanswered.
I want to know why..

Lesson learned, get a hosting company that has live tech support an in the city you live in, so I know where to kick their ass.
Best of all, support the local economy

DH has a suckie Cpanel...sucks...not userfriendly

Bottom line--stay away from a DreamHost aka sucks

Avoid those unlimited bandwidth and space...they are scam!!

there is no such thing as free or unlimited!!

I know cos I learned my lesson.

•••
Wow this is going to be a fun thread. *subscribes*

•••
So you have been hosted with them for over 10 years and now that has became bad host?

•••
You should definitely try to find a host that is smaller but stable. That way the customer support is friendlier, and they actually care to have you as a customer.

•••
~ServerPoint~ said:
So you have been hosted with them for over 10 years and now that has became bad host?

He said he have involved in site hosting for 10 years and recently a friend recommend him to use DH and he agreed. Then comes the story... :rolleyes:

•••
~ServerPoint~ said:

During the early 2001s, DH was good and I have no idea what happened, then,customer service went downhill.

All my emails went unanswered and suddenly, DH terminated my account.

Why??????/

Lesson learned, get a hosting in the city you live in and have a live tech support.

I don't believe any hosting that offers unlimited bandwidth and space..that bogus.

•••
I've had no real problems with dreamhost over the past couple of years. There was a small issue with the mysql server I was on causing the queries to take quite a while to complete...but they offered to move me to another mysql server, and did it right away. All of my emails to them have been answered fairly quickly, and they've been very helpful.

One thing people really need to realize though when signing up for web hosting providers that offer insane amounts of space and transfer per month for under $10 a month, is that you are still sharing the resources with hundreds of other people. If the hosting provider determines that your site(s) are causing issues for their other customers, they need to find a solution to the problem quickly. If it's due to traffic to your site causing you to hog the resources on the server, and nothing that you've done wrong, then they'll probably just want to convince you to lease a managed server, or something like that from them to accommodate your sites. If it's determined that you are taking up the resources doing some shady stuff....then they'll most likely kill your account.

Anyway...when you go looking for a hosting provider, keep in mind that if you have sites that aren't resource hogs or are just getting started, a company like Dreamhost or one of the other cheap hosting companies will most likely be perfectly fine (and allow you for some growth). If you are looking to move websites that get a ton of traffic and are incredible resource hogs, most likely you are making enough to be able to afford colo somewhere, or a managed server somewhere. :)

•••
I emailed to DH to ask what seems to be the problems but they did not reply.
All I want to know is why they delete my account and what sites...just an explanation.

You call that good customer service?

when the only support is email, then it is one way communication.

Good luck to you and I won't be surprised they will inactivate your account too.

If it happens to me, it can happen to anyone.

Now, my hosting is in the city I live in and all I have to do is pick up the phone and talk...faster and builds a relationship.
I sleep well at nite now.

•••
Well. Trying diffrent web hosting companies will drive you the best solution for you. Good luck to you

•••
Try service from such companies as serverpoint.com or hostgator.com and no issues you will have.
Think it's high time for you to use the service from the other company.

•••
dream host... maybe nightmare...

I never have liked them as they always seemed to have some sort of scam running.. A friend of mine used them and well, he complained that they were just not worth the while

•••
czardomains said:
During the early 2001s, DH was good and I have no idea what happened, then,customer service went downhill.

All my emails went unanswered and suddenly, DH terminated my account.

Why??????/

Lesson learned, get a hosting in the city you live in and have a live tech support.

I don't believe any hosting that offers unlimited bandwidth and space..that bogus.
Well. Maybe it worth to do more efforts to get the answers. That might be the same problem for your another web hosting provider.

•••
From all this fiasco, I got the idea of being my own host provider.
Turned out into a business opportunity for me---whopeeeeeee

Since I own many good quality hosting domains that relate to cloud hosting, a big hosting company decided to partner with me.

Last edited:
•••
czardomains said:
From all this fiasco, I got the idea of being my own host provider.
Turned out into a business opportunity for me---whopeeeeeee

Since I own many good quality hosting domains that relate to cloud hosting, a big hosting company decided to partner with me.

Be aware that is not a picnic to be web hosting provider ;)

•••
•••
~ServerPoint~ said:
Be aware that is not a picnic to be web hosting provider ;)

Nothing is easy....

So what do you have to do to be a successful web hoster?

•••
czardomains said:
Nothing is easy....

That is the complex of actions and I suppose that each current web hosting provider do have own formula of the success they will never share.

czardomains said:
Nothing is easy....

That is the complex of actions and I suppose that each current web hosting provider do have own formula of the success they will never share.

•••
I always looked at DreamHost as been quite a large good hosting solution, oh well.

There again everyone says bad things about HostGator, I have been with them for 2 years and have NEVER had any problems, so it's always best to test it out yourself first!

•••
I d learned lesson not to use so called unlimited hosting year ago. Its plain BS. If you have a big site or fast growing site don't bother , you are gonna have to find a another host soon because they will find a excuse to kick you out.
At end I choose Godaddy shared hosting. Their control panel is terrible but till I haven't had a problem so far.

•••
bluearrow said:
I d learned lesson not to use so called unlimited hosting year ago. Its plain BS. If you have a big site or fast growing site don't bother , you are gonna have to find a another host soon because they will find a excuse to kick you out.
At end I choose Godaddy shared hosting. Their control panel is terrible but till I haven't had a problem so far.

Totally agree...it is like all you can eat -buffet -everyday.

Sooner than later, they will find an excuse to kick you off!!!or change the policy on your account.

•••
bluearrow said:

Any shared hosting is a potential problem (even godaddy) if your site gets too big. If your site starts affecting the performance of the server its hosted on, and affecting other customer's sites, then any good hosting provider is going to try to find a solution. Most will try to up sell you something like a managed server, or a virtual private server, or something like that. Look at your godaddy terms, I can pretty much guarantee you they have something in their terms to boot you off if they want to or need to for using too many resources :)

Dreamhost of course is no different. I personally have had nothing but good dealings with Dreamhost and their response times when I've had an issue...but as with any web host, there are sure to be some angry customers (some for good reasons, and some just because they are angry at the world). Anyway, If asite is affecting their server due to some horribly written script, a ton of traffic, or some other reason, their obligation as a hosting provider is to try to resolve that as quickly as possible.

Think of it this way... You host 200 sites on the server. 199 of the sites are all using their fair share of resources, but nothing your server can't handle. 1 site though appears to be using much more resources, and is starting to slow down the server, affecting those other 199 customers and occasionally making their sites unreachable. Should you just suck it up and say "Sorry 199 customers... this guy has a popular site... there's nothing we can do"? Of course not. If you did that, you wouldn't be in the web hosting business very long.

If your business starts to outgrow your cheap $5/month shared hosting, then it's time to cough up a little more money and do what any serious webmaster/admin would do in that situation...get your own server, or managed server. Think of it as sort of an achievement that you've outgrown shared hosting :)

•••
I have never used DH, but many of my friends are using it.
They really keep on recommending Dreamhost for their quality hosting.
Maybe they want some good affiliate earnings, lol ?

Anyone else having such affairs with DH, i think i won't leave hostgator for DH :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back