NameSilo

Why Domain Parking works for me

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

privatereg

Upgraded Member
Impact
I was going to title this thread “How to Make a Million Dollars with Domain Parking” but I figured that would make a lot of people think it was click bait so I’m taking a different approach HAHA.

The reason I’m taking some time to write this (and more importantly taking up your valuable time reading it) is I get really tired of everyone saying Parking is Dead. Let’s see if you know one of these people:
  1. They never tried it – just like to troll the forums….
  2. They took 100 names they had lying around desperately trying to sell, and figured they’d try parking and it made $0.05 in two months.
  3. They have a domain portfolio from 5 years ago without ongoing reinvestment and watched the traffic, EPC, CTR and revenue die over time.
  4. They believe the registrars are faking the traffic stats at the auctions, the parking companies are keeping all the clicks, reporting falsified data, stealing your money and think it’s all a scam.
  5. They tried to game the system with fake traffic or 100 other methods (that I won’t get into) and got their accounts and domains banned (from DRID tracking), and now want to seek revenge.
  6. They have an inherent belief that domain parking is for “bottom feeders” of the domain industry and should be avoided at all costs.
So why am I posting this? I just want to put it out there that Domain Parking is a serious business and some are making substantial revenues with it even today. But one thing is for sure – it doesn’t work like it did in 2005 – you can’t just randomly pick a domain that looks good to you and expect to make money. And there is no lazy way to riches with domain parking anymore – those days are long gone. The big players know that it takes several hours a day of their time to research, buy, optimize and manage, and you have to do it every day of the year – no time off. But the good news is once you perfect a formula it actually works, and it’s a serious business for corporations and individual domainers alike, even in today’s competitive marketplace.

Before I go any further, I’m not going to tell you the tricks to find the right domain name that makes money and I’m not going to sell you anything nor offer consulting services for the simple selfish reason that it increases competition. This is not a business of “the more, the merrier” – that will clue you in on why you don’t see in the forums how to really do it (unless they want to sell you something). Instead I want to give you my experience with domain parking (since 2007 but more importantly in recent months) and why I think it’s still a viable business today for a select few.

So let’s take away the mystery and talk about it being a serious business. Like any true business start-up, you need capital, and with domain parking today you need lots of it. I’m sure I’ll get a lot of naysayers but one thing that has become extremely difficult is drop catching solely for parking domain monetization. It’s basically dried up – too many players and companies like DC dominating the market. Put another way, you’re basically out of luck finding that domain that’s going to make you hundreds or thousands of dollars through your own drop catching – maybe if you’re lucky you can cover renewal fees, but that’s about it (yes, I know there are exceptions…).

Buying someone else’s portfolio is out for most of us as well. With publishers demanding 30x or more of monthly revenue up front, and the requirement to purchase blocks of domains costing $xxx,xxx, isn’t worth it to me. And the traffic for many of these domains will die before you can break even (or worse, the traffic was faked and you’re screwed).

So that leaves you with the auctions which are far more competitive than years ago. And since domain owners have gotten smarter and registrars have made greater efforts to notify owners of upcoming expirations, what is leftover to go to auction pales in comparison to the traffic rich domains of the past. Those of us who battle in the daily auction houses fight against big conglomerates like HD for bread crumbs in most cases. Just try to find an expired government site anymore. And nothing pisses off a domain investor more than some lazy guy who does zero research and waits until they see a lot of people bidding on a domain so they can jump in at the last minute or someone who trolls the bids to drive up the price just for fun.

So that means the serious domain investor is going to pay more for these domains, and the price goes up every month it seems with longer time to recoup your investment. But in spite of these odds, one can still find domains that can recover your ROI in 12-24 months (or sooner if you’re lucky). That’s where the capital comes in. A serious investor knows that ROIs purchased at the auction house are not going appear for a year or two, if at all. Or to put it another way, if you think you’re going to get a domain at auction and start making a profit in a month, you’re probably wrong (or have a better system than I do!).

So after accepting the truth that your capital investment will be tied up for potentially years with a risk of losing some or all of it, there is the research aspect. If there are over 100,000 domains expiring every day (depending on TLD, gTLD, ccTLD), 7 days a week, 365 days a year, how would anyone know which ones to bid on. As I said before, I’m not going to tell you how but to say that investors in this space spend hours every day doing research in preparation for the next auction. To clue you in, that does not simply mean throwing some filters on expireddomains dot net and going after those (no disrespect to this great free service). If you don’t have access to resources to develop APIs to multiple link traffic source sites, develop some AI techniques, have a full understanding of keyword EPCs, prediction models to forecast the longevity of traffic through analytics, and a myriad of other considerations, your risk of losing capital rises exponentially.

Let’s say you have the capital and willing to risk it, and through trial and error have developed good algorithms to narrow your search and go after the types of domains that have historically yielded results – you’re done right? No, the hard work really begins now! You have to optimize your domains and manage your portfolio. I sometimes spend more time optimizing than all the other tasks. What do I mean by optimization? Some parking companies have contractual relationships to allow the parking provider to request related search terms that G will use. And yes, even that is shifting as G will now take your keywords as a “suggestion” and may use some or all of them depending on the historical traffic that has gone to that site before you bought it (using their massive data warehouses). Why go through all this trouble and just let G auto-optimize? Because in many cases it can take a lot of traffic before they get the terms right, IF they get it right, and your best opportunity to mitigate ROI loss is in first 60 days you park it before traffic drop (unless you have strong backlinks or are lucky enough to have a type-in or typo domain).

I don’t write all of this to turn you off to parking, but to say that gone are the days when anyone with $100 can buy some domains from their drop catching program, change the name servers and make money. But that isn’t to say parking today is not a viable business – just far more sophisticated.

One question often asked is “how much money can I make in parking?”. That’s a loaded question. I think the better question to ask is “what is my target annual profit I want to achieve in this business and when can I get there?”. Profit in parking would be your gross parking revenues less any chargebacks (I rarely have any, but it’s still lowers your revenue), less the cost of the domain, less costs to run the business (your time, subscription costs, IT charges, renewal fees and so on), less the predictive loss ratio of declining traffic, taxes, UDRPs (depends on your risk tolerance), and probably a few other things I can’t think of right now.

I’m not going to give you my annual profit target; I don’t want this to go on my permanent internet record HAHA.

I already know what you’re thinking right now…. “Yeah, talk is cheap – show me the proof”. I hear you. Just to let you know, there are many in this forum that are serious in this business and have no incentive to show any type of stats, myself included. It raises too many suspicions and follow-up questions – how many domains, what kind of domains, what kind of keywords, how long did it take, the numbers are fake, you name it. Who wants to be raked over the coals with all this grief? So contrary to my gut reaction not to show anything like most of the other guys, I would rather put myself out there to show that Parking is real, at least for my situation it is. So I attached a screenshot of stats for the past several months, and no they’re not photoshopped, whether you want to believe it or not – doesn’t matter to me.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/3965/PK0lIe.png

You’ll notice my traffic and revenues rising every month. So obviously I’m in a growth mode. To answer your next question on how long did it take to get where I am right now, let me give you a little personal history… In the late 2000’s I was making serious revenues with parking, but I got involved in other ventures and didn’t have the time to devote in keeping up with it. So I just let my domain traffic die a slow death for years. Eventually I was tired of running businesses and working 90 hours a week so I went back to the rat race, being respectable and making a salary in a normal job. What I quickly discovered was I had a lot of free time to think about other sources of revenue, and of course parking like the old days seemed like a good place to start. But I kept asking myself, “would it still work today?”.

So April of last year with the pandemic driving more people online and my employer telling us all to work from home, it became an opportune time for me to see if my old methods still worked. For the first couple of months I wasn’t buying many domains, but I quickly saw that with some tweaking and serious commitment of time the process still worked – worked back then and works now. Crazy. They were saying parking was dead back in 2010, maybe earlier and here it is in 2021 and it still works. Weird.

Let me be perfectly frank. I’m not bragging about this – far from it. In fact, depending on which side of the revenue fence you’re on, you might say what I’m achieving is peanuts to what you’re making, but I’m happy with my results so far. Long ways to go to meet my net profit target, but I’m confident I’ll get there.

I’m sure I’ll hear from a lot of people telling me “you’ll never make any real money with parking – selling or leasing is the only way, or developing your website with affiliates or adsense, or zero click direct traffic advertisers, or smart traffic switching”, you name it. And I say to all of that is if it works for you – great! I’m not talking about that – I’m just making a point about domain parking in today’s world, pure and simple. I enjoy it and you’ll never convince me it’s dead.

So let the haters weigh in but at least I got this off my chest…Domain Parking is real folks!

P.S. Please don’t IM/DM/PM me trying to sell your traffic domain, join a JV, try a new monetization service, ask for my methods, more details on my portfolio, etc., etc. I will not respond – no offense.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi @privatereg

Being an Adsense user from the very start with developed infosec sites, and later just parking my domains at parking companies, I love to read your detailed postings about the current state of 'advanced' parking.

I'm not parking anymore in 2021, but I'm not a hater either. I'm just doing other things. I recognize your dedication, and I'm sure you'd succeed in any other field with this pragmatic view. You're doing your research, and keep fine-tuning w/ data you gather during the process. It's not for all, but it's certainly inspirational for all members on this forum. (Some of them being successful parkers as well).

Thanks for sharing.

•••
What a great thread!
For many years I've felt like I was the lone wolf saying that parking wasn't dead. At one stage I got so frustrated that I even recorded a video on how domain monetization was alive and well (check out https://mcl.club).
I want to congratulate the OP on their willingness to openly share about their own experiences with domain monetization. It really has been like a breath of fresh air for an industry that is actually thriving behind the scenes.

•••
I agree with whatever you are saying. I have spent the last few months testing various theories and my tactics 100% verifies what you are saying. I also now have the criteria/filter to create apps to automate much of what you are saying. But here is why I decided it was not worth my time.

And I don't think you are not alone. I think there are many more players. Which is exactly why you said one need to be willing to recover ROI in average 2 years. Every damn domain that I filter is getting Bid upto 20X monthly expected revenue.. So you are spot on, on that that number, which is exactly why I decided to not pursue it further. I am not sure if I want to allocate my limited resources to Parking domains or in place of brandable domains. I am from a country where I regularly get 15% return on low cost index funds, and 9% from govt. bonds, so this ROI is not worth my time.

Right now, if I a looking at traffic domains, I am only bidding on names that can have an end user, in which case I will take any domains even if I will pay 30X expected monthly income.

I am also even beginning to think that some corporate style investors are involved who are looking at the increase in Monthly cash flow of the whole portfolio .

I am active in a particular niche where the competition is not crazy (I am getting 10-12 month ROI), but man it is becoming a chore.

Another problem with traffic domain is, if the domain is getting traffic from Links, It can easily be developed into an Affiliate site and get 1000X the parking revenue or sell it for a quick roi to other Affiliate SEOs, all fresh drops with good links have the eyes of all the SEO industry. So those names are out of the option as well. But if you are lucky, some names can slip under the radar, so this is a great way for getting into parking domains for a beginner, since there are many paid tools for the same.

Thanks for sharing this..
I also don't care about more people joining because the Auction price cannot go crazy any further.. :)

Yesterday only I went into a Bid war with some crazy for almost 2 hours.

Last edited:
•••
ok thread getting rude so I lighten up mood ..ok I brag.. about how luck in parking works..check out these stats on a name I regged 1yr or so ago...for name sake only..cause I never did nor know how yet to research prior to regging for park rev potential ..so yeah..this is how luck in parking works Haha

it's an .io

ps can someone clarify once for all.. can we or not post on net or here actual names of our parked names? companies say we cant..yet of course all do it when selling them...so can we? or its gotta be masked or on pic only?

ps2...if u got some lucky regs feel free to share stats... OP said we can do anything parking related here..

Screenshot_20210215-084830_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210215-084825_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210215-084816_Chrome.jpg

•••
can tools actually predict for how long domain will keep making money? or that's one thing no one can know.

Hi

no offense to you, but that made me laugh :)

the best tool, is the brain.
within that, should be some common sense
and within that, should be some logic,
which helps make analytical decisions
but that comes with trial and error, till one perfects it.
then, you'll have "the eye"

but no tool today,
is as good as Yahoo's Overture Tool was, for finding domains with existing traffic.
and it was free

i think some approach parking with mindset of looking for "traffic" names,
instead of seeing domains that the general public would search for, for services, products or a domain for their business.

such names often produce generic, lower traffic volumes, but higher epc and are more appealing to buyers for end-use.

if you have money to pay for tools, then like @ Hypersot alluded to, you gotta know how to read the results and you have to know what to query.... to get results you think you are looking for.

i tend to go for low hanging fruit, something i can acquire for backorder fee with little to no competition.
but will pump up the budget to grab from higher branches.

imo....

•••
@namemarket ,
You mentioned 'SEO ranking',
afaik, SEO ranking loses ground every day a domain is parked. Maybe I missed something in what you said though.

All in all (and that's from *my* experience only),
if a domain has low clicks, that's due:

a. random visitors that arrived at the lander page by mistake

b. traffic is not what you think it is.
eg. From time to time, I get domains that their traffic has all reasons to click A but they click B. I expect traffic to come from A and instead it comes from B, etc.

Maybe the visitors when the domain was an active website received completely different visitors than when it got parked due to some ranking weirdness (eg. appearing in the searches of a different country while getting lost from the original country the domain received traffic from).

c. domain attracts uninterested visitors to interact with the website

d. script blockers/AV software. Those are the worst as they are usually responsible for when you receive traffic but no clicks (visitor sees just a blank page or a page with no ads)

and finally,
e. traffic from HTTPS. I think Bodis have implemented a way for that traffic to be usable but it wasn't before. With other services, only worthy domains can use https traffic.

maybe you need to do a re-check on your domains to see what really is the problem, maybe you missed something along the way when you optimised the keywords.

•••
Hi

Thanks for pointing that out.

wondering if they had different ads on dan, than bodis which affected revenue....
or if the "for sale" banner was distraction from clicking
or if it was the structure of the page itself,
or if the change from bodis originally to dan affected repeat or new visitors?

the "for sale" banner, could indicate to visitor, who is not looking to buy the name... that the website may not exist for long -
therefore, they may not click on any ads.

hmmmm...
definitely something to ponder

imo...
Hey Biggie, as an experienced domain parking person like yourself you know that domain parking pages are counterintuitive - the less on the landing page the better the result. In fact lately Bodis has been only serving 3 related terms on desktop and mobile pages instead of the usual 7 (or 5 for mobile). I know they are constantly looking for ways to increase revenues so I have no complaints....Parking pages are ugly but I want the visitor to get through a link as fast as possible without anything around it - parking companies know that all too well. The way I look at it is say you have an expired domain that was a Chinese Restaurant. If the visitor sees a for sale link they think the restaurant is out of business and they get out. if all they see is "Chinese Menu" as the first link they're going to click through. Having said all that I still sell several domains a month. They find me if they want it bad enough so I don't see the value of a for sale banner - not interested in resellers, don't have generics and a visitor would never want to buy it IMO....

•••
how are your July parking revenues going???
I got a big big cut on RPC.... btw with all what is going on in the world these days, I was expecting this.
However I've few traffic niches so I was curious to know also about other people..
RPC is down for me also for July but not by a large number:
April $0.41
May $0.42
June $0.39
July $0.39

But what is definitely down this month for me is CTR and not sure why:
April: 40%
May: 39.8%
June: 42.6%
July: 37.8%

Doesn't look like a big difference; however, when you have thousands of domains it does make a difference. I suspect Bodis has been trying a number of different default templates trying to increase CTR and has had mixed success - I can see them changing my template display from time to time without me requesting.

Two other things I noticed in the past 90 days - one is the prices at auctions have skyrocketed - definitely big players are getting more aggressive with buying traffic potential domains and two, the quality of domains has gone downhill. Maybe domain owners are more savvy these days about renewing their domains or perhaps some side deals going on big players to have exclusive access to certain categories of expiring domains - not sure. I hope it's not the beginning of the end for increasing my portfolio...

•••
•••
Congrats on your progress so far! As I said in a previous post, its in the low thousands and doesn't matter how many you have as far as stability. Same thing with Tentative investment. I think high CTR is definitely related to ability to request related search terms but that takes research on kind of traffic and visitors were coming to the site previously - looking at archive, back links, pop-up links, etc.

congrats on great rev and info and knowledge...and being in today's maybe what... 1% of top rev makers....its doable I agree...but like 1% richest people on earth it's a bit tricky to get there..

I'd say write a book and make money..but we all.know all no fakes who really make money dont need to sell books to.make money hehe

•••
congrats on great rev and info and knowledge...and being in today's maybe what... 1% of top rev makers....its doable I agree...but like 1% richest people on earth it's a bit tricky to get there..

I'd say write a book and make money..but we all.know all no fakes who really make money dont need to sell books to.make money hehe
HAHA. You're right. yeah - not interested in sharing info. Domain Parking is a strange business - the ones making money don't want to share because of increased competition; however, judging by the auction prices, I think the word is out for some folks.

•••
Here is the number one thing to consider when investing in a domain to make money from parking.

I know a lot about parking, this thread hasn't offered up the real good stuff so I decided to start with some little known info.
Yes, by all means please share and anyone else who wants to contribute. That was not my intent for the OP, but great stuff - thanks!

•••
tnx op for all effort to post this... selling names also is hardworking...like all in life..so parking too is hardworking.. I happen to believe selling names for most is more realistic.. profit wise...especially for newer comers...unlike u....say maybe those since 2012 or so...

I never doubted some make huge park money today..said it on all threads.. most wont speak out...prolly cause they know they be flood with newbie questions... looking at easy cash...well guess what..there is no easy cash in life...

even buying btc at 1usd back when was hardworking vision 6th sense ;)

well enjoy the profits u earned em like anyone...hope in 10yrs it all still works with parking.

•••
I will only reminisce about the "good old days" when I would wake up and have earned $30-$50-$80 or more while sleeping and continue to watch the dollars roll in during the day, it was great fun. I was small player but would earn $100-$250 per day. A "bad" domain name, ie: CheapestStudentLoans.org could be powerful.

I did notice in the last month or so a nice shift in parking revenue. I have some names that generate traffic that I park and have seen a great increase in their revenue. So, parking is alive and probably growing.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

•••
There are no rules and tactics that work for any domain and in any situation.
Parking is dead today, so stop forcing newbies to spend money on buying useless domains for parking.
Yes, parking works, but on the most expensive domains that a beginner cannot afford.
You have to really work, but in the domaining ONLY hard work will not bring money.
The only thing that works is a combination of hard work + big luck.
If you buy the right domain (a very expensive one) and/or make hard work it doesn't mean you will get ROI from all this business.
Domaining is like a lottery, you need very big luck to start earning in it.
You can help yourself if you have a few dozen of thousands of dollars and ready to risk them. But no one promises you will get income.
Ok, maybe you get income from parking but it doesn't mean these tactics will work for everyone.

He is not asking beginners to join.
He said very clearly that it is costly and takes a lot of effort and that it takes upto 2 years to get an ROI.

Not sure what your gripe is.

I have paid $200-2000 on average for my parking domains.
Domains I pay 200-300 barely makes 30 usd a month, and that is only because I was lucky to win those for 200-300. usually similar domains go for 500-600. but I put a proxy of 300 and go to sleep. I lose 90% of the auctions.

The one I paid nearly 2000, usually goes for 4-5K. But again, I put a 2000 proxy and slept

•••
@coolhands ,

privatereg answered your question just a couple posts above; you can't judge a domain solely by its traffic.

There is nothing to hide here about this. You can have a domain that with one visitor and one click might earn the same as 10 domains with 10x traffic.

•••
Yeah,Exactly the emoji mean that lol

The question 2 is important to me, I want to have an idea about how many visits do traffic domain get per month, you don't need to give me information based about your data, just tell me your opinion about how much traffic is needed per month for a domain to be considered good in order to make money in parking.

PS: Your opinion is matter to me but if you are not comfortable in even in sharing your opinion I will respect your choice.

Thanks,
Traffic has extremely low correlation with revenue.

Forget parking. If you have a website on celebrities or movies, you will have tons of traffic but very low revenue. Hardly $1 per 1000 visitors even

But if you had a website on Finance, Insurance for small business software, you will make $100 plus per 100 visitors.

Same with parking. If you own a domain that has type in traffic for a celebrity, you will hardly get any clicks per 1000 visitors. because when someone types in a celebrity, he expects to see videos, pictures etc, so he will close the tab and type go to another website.

I have many type in sites that don't even cover renewals so I will drop them.

Right now I have a name that gets about 60-800 visits every day. Like clockwork. Real visitors, no bots, from all over the USA. I get 1 click in like 30 days

I have another domain. gets 40-50 visitors everyday. It gets 5-10 clicks each day just like clockwork

I have another domain that get 2-3 type in visitors everyday.. Like clock work. It gets a click once in 2-3 days, but every click is 1-2 usd and it ends up brining 20-30 usd every month, like clockwork.

I have another type-in for weather keyword.. 100+ visits everyday, like clockwork.. Maybe 1 click in a month

I have another in CBD niche, 100 visit.. Not sure why no clicks at all.. Maybe very few ads in G Feed for CBD, So I redirected to an affiliate site last week. Made one conversion so I am going to tweak it.

Parking also don't compare very well to real life websites. It is different. It is not even about the Niche. But what kind of people are visiting the site. Are they Info seekers? Are they buyers? Think of intent. But I don't think there is much to overthink. Like I mentioned above as well by the OP, once you figure out how to buy traffic domains in the auctions, you will find that the competition is much worse the Huge DOmain auto bidding on godaddy. So you have a ready validation.

•••
Made a lot during 2002-2005 through PPC (FindWhat, DomainSponsor, Oversee, etc). Now only concentrating on selling names. Only one domain is on PPC and it is making good money.

upload_2021-2-18_23-32-25.png

•••
ok I see. ty for info.

can tools actually predict for how long domain will keep making money? or that's one thing no one can know.

for instance my lucky io reg...that made 800 in 2yrrs. and is back to 50$ per month lately.. from Downto say 10 or 20..are there ways to tell how it will do I future?

if there are, I haven't found them.

Yes, you can find stable backlinks (eg. in gov or edu sites). Yes, you might find some keyword term that has a long duration, etc.

What you can't determine is world's economy and parking itself.

In parking, a high click now might be a low click tomorrow, a good backlink now might be bad tomorrow and may get your domain faillisted or adult, a domain's extension might be ok today but bad tomorrow (eg. all .ir domains are blocked by google now), backlinks might be lost, ad-blockers might become even more intelligent and might block all traffic, etc. etc. So many parameters to list.

•••
@Hypersot and @namemarket,

You both have great points about related searches optimization.

I don't have much experience with optimizing the related searches yet but from what I have tested and analyzed, I see so far that G is optimizing the related searches mostly according to the domain name and not it's past usage or traffic.

Just for example, if I have a domain that is named “fashquotes.com” and I know for sure that it was used for a fashion niche website. In most cases, G will show related searches to quotes. Things like “car insurance quotes”.
Even if I enter related search keywords in this fashion niche, they won’t be shown.

Another example, if there is a domain name with just a random name, let's say “blababc.com” and I know for sure that it used to be a pets niche website.
For that domain, G is showing random high paying related searches, for example "life insurance quotes".
Even if I will insert keywords related to the pets niche G won't show none of them.

I believe that if you acquire domains based on their names, for example: “lifeinsurancequtes.com”, then you will be able to use your own related searches and optimize it well.
But, if you focus on growing traffic and not caring so much about the names of the domains (like myself), then it becomes a problem to optimize the related searches according to domain's past usage.

This is the data I collected so far from my domains and from the related searches experiments I have done.

I have to say something about that:
e. traffic from HTTPS. I think Bodis have implemented a way for that traffic to be usable but it wasn't before. With other services, only worthy domains can use https traffic.

I see so many parked domains that are not using SSL certificates, those guys, you have no idea how much traffic you lose when you are not capturing all the https incoming traffic.
Regardless of the domain parking provider, everyone can and should use a solution to capture all https traffic.

Last edited:
•••
EPC is dropping for me as well - chalk it up to the economy and ad prices right now. Here is the average EPC for the past few months:

Jun $0.39
Jul $0.38
Aug $0.36
Sep $0.33
Oct $0.32

My click thru rate (CTR) has stayed pretty steady - hopefully whenever the economy rebounds my EPC will also.

Last edited:
•••
I'm testing Afternic parking not to lose the 15% sale commission. Even 10% lost commission can be equal to months of parking revenue. I won't test it longer as the results are disappointing. It also blocks ads due to possible TMs, while Bodis does not. But I won't use Bodis either.

Well, if you identify the names that make 2x+ of their renewal, the commission loss part doesn't matter that much. The pack will be profitable on its own, will provide regular stream differing from sales and sales will come as a nice bonus, even with 25% commission.

•••
@privatereg Congratualtions on your success
great information,
you have been there from the start 2000, it's like the previous century on the internet

i used to provide traffic and domains acquisition to businesses,
so i'm familiar with how to track the good domains who have good backlinks
there are tools/services that you probably use that simplify all the process

in 2018, i parked a portfolio of 600 domains for a test,
5 domains generated 99% of the parking revenues,
and one domain was steady 20-40$/month
no surprise i sold most of these domains who were generating parking revenues,
just by having them listed on marketplaces

so from my experiment, i can see that someone with your skillset,
can build a portfolio of domains that only generate parking revenue

as you mention, the auctions prices are just insane right now,
and that make the game really hard
and good luck finding these domains at closeout, they are snipped really fast

all the best
Hal

•••
I was going to title this thread “How to Make a Million Dollars with Domain Parking” but I figured that would make a lot of people think it was click bait so I’m taking a different approach HAHA.

The reason I’m taking some time to write this (and more importantly taking up your valuable time reading it) is I get really tired of everyone saying Parking is Dead. Let’s see if you know one of these people:
  1. They never tried it – just like to troll the forums….
  2. They took 100 names they had lying around desperately trying to sell, and figured they’d try parking and it made $0.05 in two months.
  3. They have a domain portfolio from 5 years ago without ongoing reinvestment and watched the traffic, EPC, CTR and revenue die over time.
  4. They believe the registrars are faking the traffic stats at the auctions, the parking companies are keeping all the clicks, reporting falsified data, stealing your money and think it’s all a scam.
  5. They tried to game the system with fake traffic or 100 other methods (that I won’t get into) and got their accounts and domains banned (from DRID tracking), and now want to seek revenge.
  6. They have an inherent belief that domain parking is for “bottom feeders” of the domain industry and should be avoided at all costs.
So why am I posting this? I just want to put it out there that Domain Parking is a serious business and some are making substantial revenues with it even today. But one thing is for sure – it doesn’t work like it did in 2005 – you can’t just randomly pick a domain that looks good to you and expect to make money. And there is no lazy way to riches with domain parking anymore – those days are long gone. The big players know that it takes several hours a day of their time to research, buy, optimize and manage, and you have to do it every day of the year – no time off. But the good news is once you perfect a formula it actually works, and it’s a serious business for corporations and individual domainers alike, even in today’s competitive marketplace.

Before I go any further, I’m not going to tell you the tricks to find the right domain name that makes money and I’m not going to sell you anything nor offer consulting services for the simple selfish reason that it increases competition. This is not a business of “the more, the merrier” – that will clue you in on why you don’t see in the forums how to really do it (unless they want to sell you something). Instead I want to give you my experience with domain parking (since 2007 but more importantly in recent months) and why I think it’s still a viable business today for a select few.

So let’s take away the mystery and talk about it being a serious business. Like any true business start-up, you need capital, and with domain parking today you need lots of it. I’m sure I’ll get a lot of naysayers but one thing that has become extremely difficult is drop catching solely for parking domain monetization. It’s basically dried up – too many players and companies like DC dominating the market. Put another way, you’re basically out of luck finding that domain that’s going to make you hundreds or thousands of dollars through your own drop catching – maybe if you’re lucky you can cover renewal fees, but that’s about it (yes, I know there are exceptions…).

Buying someone else’s portfolio is out for most of us as well. With publishers demanding 30x or more of monthly revenue up front, and the requirement to purchase blocks of domains costing $xxx,xxx, isn’t worth it to me. And the traffic for many of these domains will die before you can break even (or worse, the traffic was faked and you’re screwed).

So that leaves you with the auctions which are far more competitive than years ago. And since domain owners have gotten smarter and registrars have made greater efforts to notify owners of upcoming expirations, what is leftover to go to auction pales in comparison to the traffic rich domains of the past. Those of us who battle in the daily auction houses fight against big conglomerates like HD for bread crumbs in most cases. Just try to find an expired government site anymore. And nothing pisses off a domain investor more than some lazy guy who does zero research and waits until they see a lot of people bidding on a domain so they can jump in at the last minute or someone who trolls the bids to drive up the price just for fun.

So that means the serious domain investor is going to pay more for these domains, and the price goes up every month it seems with longer time to recoup your investment. But in spite of these odds, one can still find domains that can recover your ROI in 12-24 months (or sooner if you’re lucky). That’s where the capital comes in. A serious investor knows that ROIs purchased at the auction house are not going appear for a year or two, if at all. Or to put it another way, if you think you’re going to get a domain at auction and start making a profit in a month, you’re probably wrong (or have a better system than I do!).

So after accepting the truth that your capital investment will be tied up for potentially years with a risk of losing some or all of it, there is the research aspect. If there are over 100,000 domains expiring every day (depending on TLD, gTLD, ccTLD), 7 days a week, 365 days a year, how would anyone know which ones to bid on. As I said before, I’m not going to tell you how but to say that investors in this space spend hours every day doing research in preparation for the next auction. To clue you in, that does not simply mean throwing some filters on expireddomains dot net and going after those (no disrespect to this great free service). If you don’t have access to resources to develop APIs to multiple link traffic source sites, develop some AI techniques, have a full understanding of keyword EPCs, prediction models to forecast the longevity of traffic through analytics, and a myriad of other considerations, your risk of losing capital rises exponentially.

Let’s say you have the capital and willing to risk it, and through trial and error have developed good algorithms to narrow your search and go after the types of domains that have historically yielded results – you’re done right? No, the hard work really begins now! You have to optimize your domains and manage your portfolio. I sometimes spend more time optimizing than all the other tasks. What do I mean by optimization? Some parking companies have contractual relationships to allow the parking provider to request related search terms that G will use. And yes, even that is shifting as G will now take your keywords as a “suggestion” and may use some or all of them depending on the historical traffic that has gone to that site before you bought it (using their massive data warehouses). Why go through all this trouble and just let G auto-optimize? Because in many cases it can take a lot of traffic before they get the terms right, IF they get it right, and your best opportunity to mitigate ROI loss is in first 60 days you park it before traffic drop (unless you have strong backlinks or are lucky enough to have a type-in or typo domain).

I don’t write all of this to turn you off to parking, but to say that gone are the days when anyone with $100 can buy some domains from their drop catching program, change the name servers and make money. But that isn’t to say parking today is not a viable business – just far more sophisticated.

One question often asked is “how much money can I make in parking?”. That’s a loaded question. I think the better question to ask is “what is my target annual profit I want to achieve in this business and when can I get there?”. Profit in parking would be your gross parking revenues less any chargebacks (I rarely have any, but it’s still lowers your revenue), less the cost of the domain, less costs to run the business (your time, subscription costs, IT charges, renewal fees and so on), less the predictive loss ratio of declining traffic, taxes, UDRPs (depends on your risk tolerance), and probably a few other things I can’t think of right now.

I’m not going to give you my annual profit target; I don’t want this to go on my permanent internet record HAHA.

I already know what you’re thinking right now…. “Yeah, talk is cheap – show me the proof”. I hear you. Just to let you know, there are many in this forum that are serious in this business and have no incentive to show any type of stats, myself included. It raises too many suspicions and follow-up questions – how many domains, what kind of domains, what kind of keywords, how long did it take, the numbers are fake, you name it. Who wants to be raked over the coals with all this grief? So contrary to my gut reaction not to show anything like most of the other guys, I would rather put myself out there to show that Parking is real, at least for my situation it is. So I attached a screenshot of stats for the past several months, and no they’re not photoshopped, whether you want to believe it or not – doesn’t matter to me.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/3965/PK0lIe.png

You’ll notice my traffic and revenues rising every month. So obviously I’m in a growth mode. To answer your next question on how long did it take to get where I am right now, let me give you a little personal history… In the late 2000’s I was making serious revenues with parking, but I got involved in other ventures and didn’t have the time to devote in keeping up with it. So I just let my domain traffic die a slow death for years. Eventually I was tired of running businesses and working 90 hours a week so I went back to the rat race, being respectable and making a salary in a normal job. What I quickly discovered was I had a lot of free time to think about other sources of revenue, and of course parking like the old days seemed like a good place to start. But I kept asking myself, “would it still work today?”.

So April of last year with the pandemic driving more people online and my employer telling us all to work from home, it became an opportune time for me to see if my old methods still worked. For the first couple of months I wasn’t buying many domains, but I quickly saw that with some tweaking and serious commitment of time the process still worked – worked back then and works now. Crazy. They were saying parking was dead back in 2010, maybe earlier and here it is in 2021 and it still works. Weird.

Let me be perfectly frank. I’m not bragging about this – far from it. In fact, depending on which side of the revenue fence you’re on, you might say what I’m achieving is peanuts to what you’re making, but I’m happy with my results so far. Long ways to go to meet my net profit target, but I’m confident I’ll get there.

I’m sure I’ll hear from a lot of people telling me “you’ll never make any real money with parking – selling or leasing is the only way, or developing your website with affiliates or adsense, or zero click direct traffic advertisers, or smart traffic switching”, you name it. And I say to all of that is if it works for you – great! I’m not talking about that – I’m just making a point about domain parking in today’s world, pure and simple. I enjoy it and you’ll never convince me it’s dead.

So let the haters weigh in but at least I got this off my chest…Domain Parking is real folks!

P.S. Please don’t IM/DM/PM me trying to sell your traffic domain, join a JV, try a new monetization service, ask for my methods, more details on my portfolio, etc., etc. I will not respond – no offense.

Congratulations for such splendid performance!

I am doing this experiment for last 6 months with limited domains and budget and witness some encouraging positive trend so I agree with your view about parking business:

upload_2021-2-12_16-31-0.png

Though some of your data really amazed me and also month on month consistency only prove that you know very well how this parking business run. So congratulation once again!

Appreciate if you could response few queries:
1. Parking portfolio size (number of domains)
2. Tentative investment
3. Any specific reason for such high and consistent CTR

Thank and regards,

Last edited:
•••
I have good experience in SEO, Adsense, adword and Google analytics, seeing your revenue picture, i felt one thing very out of place CTR . A CTR (click through rate) of 41.25% is really unbelievable and if it true, which ever ad company you use could have banned you on 1st month itself. sorry i feel its Photoshop one.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back