Dynadot

discuss Why did .US never take off?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I personally find .US as one of the most sort after extension! It's short, memorable, geo-centric and has the audience who are pretty ahead when it comes to internet adoption. Most of the .COM sales happen to businesses in the US.

What I don't understand is why did .US never take off? Is it because of the large .COM expansion and usage in the US? Or is there some other reason I am not aware of.

If I were a new domain investor, I would have bought .US without a second thought, only to see low sales volume and lower sales price.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Just take off
Drive.us sold with 99999$ ( not by me )
😉

Last edited:
•••
.US was probably my biggest disappointment of all. I didn't go crazy with it, but I had a bunch that I thought would do well. I thought the the extension would surpass .net and maybe .org I think the United States pretty much feels like .com is our country code and an additional one just didn't have traction.

My highest .us sale was mid XXX. Overall, I lost on .US

I only have one left: OJT.US

I developed a few in the past, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if it was a juicy one or two word that I couldn't get in .com, but I don't buy them for resale.

•••
.US was probably my biggest disappointment of all. I didn't go crazy with it, but I had a bunch that I thought would do well. I thought the the extension would surpass .net and maybe .org I think the United States pretty much feels like .com is our country code and an additional one just didn't have traction.

My highest .us sale was mid XXX. Overall, I lost on .US

I only have one left: OJT.US

I developed a few in the past, and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if it was a juicy one or two word that I couldn't get in .com, but I don't buy them for resale.
And somehow even now it feels like this should work! It's an anomaly of .US not working as an extension.

•••
If you like Financial names I have a ton of .US I will move to you cheap

•••
Perhaps awareness is one contributing factor, is there any agency to help promote it like CIRA does with .CA?

That and the psyche in the US, two letters could be seen as a shortcoming, .USA would probably take off right away.

•••
Back