Domain Empire

discuss Why is .US Domain NOT THAT MUCH popular ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sohail Khan

Established Member
Impact
I was wondering when almost all dictionary items and possible combinations are already booked in extensions like .com, why .US domain is not that much popular ?

While searching for a .US domain today, I found that a lot of single words domains that are sold for Big Bucks in .com are still vacant in .US and that too at a very low Reg Free i.e $3.49 ? What is the reasons behind it ?

Is there any chance of increase in value of .US domains ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's because most US businesses and companies use dot com.

I don't see its value increasing in the near future though. There are just too many alternatives.

•••
While searching for a .US domain today, I found that a lot of single words domains that are sold for Big Bucks in .com are still vacant in .US and that too at a very low Reg Free i.e $3.49 ?

Some examples of those wonderful "single words" domains available in .us? You said that "a lot" are still "vacant." You don't have to give a lot of examples, just a few would be nice.

•••
Just like in germany, people use .de
Just like in canada people mostly use .ca, also .com
Just like in australia people mostly use .com.au, also .com
so in the US people use .com

Each group has its way of doing things, it's trends, and mostly due to .com being the first thing large companies started building on (and being the only viable option back in the mid 90s) its what has stuck. I agree .us makes sense just like .travel makes sense for travel websites.. but its just not used, its not the way it is.

•••
Just like in germany, people use .de
Just like in canada people mostly use .ca, also .com
Just like in australia people mostly use .com.au, also .com
so in the US people use .com

Each group has its way of doing things, it's trends, and mostly due to .com being the first thing large companies started building on (and being the only viable option back in the mid 90s) its what has stuck. I agree .us makes sense just like .travel makes sense for travel websites.. but its just not used, its not the way it is.

Very much true.
But do you see any spike in near future ?
I just wanted to get an idea about a little bit investment in it.
There are many good names available in .us that are sold up to $$$$$ in .com.
What if we grab a few of them ? Can we make some profit?

•••
•••
Just shows that much about this domain thing is unpredictable.

Regardless, .us still has far more registrations than any new gtld, so far.

•••
•••
.us never took of for many reasons.
The fact that it was released late to the public (2002) certainly didn't help.

.us has been insufficiently marketed.

Also, the US has a blurred identity when it comes to domain names: businesses prefer .com, but the US also has .mil and .gov, while .edu is overwhelmingly American.
There is not one single TLD that defines the United States of America, unlike other countries.
So I think US exceptionalism will remain.

•••
I was wondering when almost all dictionary items and possible combinations are already booked in extensions like .com, why .US domain is not that much popular ?

While searching for a .US domain today, I found that a lot of single words domains that are sold for Big Bucks in .com are still vacant in .US and that too at a very low Reg Free i.e $3.49 ? What is the reasons behind it ?

Is there any chance of increase in value of .US domains ?

This is my second post requesting just a couple of examples of "... lot of single work domains that are sold for Big Bucks in .com still vacant in .US ..."

You made a statement, and were asked for data to prove your point. So far, zip, zilch,nothing. If you want credibility here, back up what you post with facts.

•••
Can developing .us domains be a solution to increase the value of .us domain? currently I am holding 3 .us domains regional.us
Wholesales.us
Solicitors.us
should I accept those lowoffers which are coming or should try to develop it into sites?
Any ideas guys?

•••
This is my second post requesting just a couple of examples of "... lot of single work domains that are sold for Big Bucks in .com still vacant in .US ..."

You made a statement, and were asked for data to prove your point. So far, zip, zilch,nothing. If you want credibility here, back up what you post with facts.

imaginative.us
indebted .us
layoff.us

And a lot lot more.....
By the way, I don't need any credibility certificate.
Thanks

•••
.us is dead

Certainly seems that way now. But
imaginative.us
indebted .us
layoff.us

And a lot lot more.....
By the way, I don't need any credibility certificate.
Thanks

Yup, those are certainly one-word .us names that would be in greater demand if they were .coms. Your credibility is in tack. They aren't top-notch one-word names, and I'm sure there are a lot more similar-caliber .us names available for registration.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back