IT.COM

opinion So why are .us domains not catching on?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
In Canada the .ca regional domains are on fire, I don't understand why I never see a .us domain in actual use.

With the .coms almost out of reach why are the .us domains not catching on?
There are a lot of us companies like plumbers, roofers etc. yet so few of them use .us domains.

I would love to see what the penetration for .us is as compared to other countries.
I have been thinking about dabbling in some .us domains and would love some feedback.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Honestly, Kate, how could you make me wait so long before posting here again? I thought you might never show up. :)

And as for your second point - folks check this probably little known example out: Poker.us. 888 is one of the biggest international brands in gaming.
Sorry to go OT, but 888.. the good old days of Big Clicks and big payouts from gamble sites..
:)

Peace,
Cy

•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Seriously? You're going to take the last sentence like that of Kate's last post here out of context like that? Wow, that hardly does anyone a service or serves any good purpose here.

Indeed, BrandingTheWeb.
His agenda is obvious to any one with his own brain. New gtld proponents are scared cause they know they can't compete with .US in the US.

•••
Blame the media and back in the day .com was cheaper than .us I think people also look as .us as US "more than one person" It would maybe have been different if it was .usa?

•••
No, "the media" had nothing to do with it (this time). It is again simply what I wrote above. Change that and the world would almost certainly be very different now. However, I do agree that ".usa" probably would have fared much better on its own, even if the government hadn't wanted it to, if that had been the TLD.

Last edited:
•••
Wow.

That's the point, how many .nl (the Netherlands) .de (Germany) domains do you have in your portfolio?

Or are these just some other ccTLDs?

•••
Wow.

That's the point, how many .nl (the Netherlands) .de (Germany) domains do you have in your portfolio?

None, I'm in the U.S and my portfolio is mostly .com and .US for local.

•••
Wow.

You are not making any point and have only introduced a confusing tangent after quoting someone out of context.

And for the sake of those just coming to this thread, the question is why hasn't .US been catching on all this time since 2002. That means in the US.

Related to that topic is the reality that people outside the US appear to have far more awareness that .US even exists at all and far more interest in it.

If anyone wishes to mention other ccTLDs in a way like the above, then an honest line of inquiry relates to comparing the level of popularity of a ccTLD among the population of its own respective country to the situation for .us in the US, not mentioning a basket of various ccTLDs and posing an unrealistic question as if anybody can have any mix of any ones they want or would even have any interest in that.

And we already know as very old news that generally speaking ccTLDs are far more popular among the populations of their respective countries than .us is in the US.

Last edited:
•••
P.S. - Notwithstanding the above:

Notwithstanding the above, if one wishes to speak in terms of "just another ccTLD" or "not just another ccTLD," then we can also do with another reality check. To those wishing to do business in the USA, the USA is not merely just another market. It is the largest economy in the world with one of the largest populations (and growing) in the world. That is not "just another" anything when it comes to international businesses seeking to set up shop and make money here.

Let's take even the example I gave, the 888 gaming company. In case anyone is not aware, the USA is most certainly among the most or perhaps potentially even the most lucrative markets for what they do in the world, especially as an individual nation, and they certainly know that. It's not for nothing such companies have been so eager to do business here for that. And with such purposes in mind, you can be confident they had to buy a domain like Poker.us from whoever had it before, and that such a domain was not merely "just another ccTLD" to them either in terms of their long term plans and goals.

Last edited:
•••
And we already know that generally speaking ccTLDs are more popular among the populations of their respective countries than .us is in the US.

Sounds more like a popularity problem then. Would indeed have been different it would have been .usa in stead of .us

I do have a great mix of "keyword" ccTLDs (.nl , .ws, .be, .me , .cd, . de, .at, .yt, tv. etc.) ,

I might live in Holland but I am in now way going to let restrictions or country borders limit me in my domain investments. My market is global.

e.g. .de has the highest number of registrations out of all ccTLDs and they also have some restrictions like .us

Everyone his own truth, if you have the answers why ask the question?

In all the confusion I'll be branding and trading my own web of gTLD ,ccTLD and .COM domains.

•••
If I lived on the moon and had the choice to register and use any cctld on earth I'd choose .US cause that's the market everybody wants to be in, its where the money is at.

•••
In case my comment was misinterpreted, I was saying that foreign companies have no bias against .us because they regard it like any other ccTLD - including their own.

By the way, I invested in .us but I specialize in European extensions.
I fully understand that some ccTLDs are hugely popular in their own markets, some aren't. Sadly, .us belongs to the latter group.

Now to add more to the story:

I started buying .us back in 2005. Those who were around on NP at the time may remember that the mood was more upbeat. Back then there was hope that .us would catch on and become a 'normal' ccTLD. That didn't happen. .us was released late to the public (2002). So in 2005 you could think that things would change.

I stopped buying .us long ago.

•••
In case my comment was misinterpreted, I was saying that foreign companies have no bias against .us because they regard it like any other ccTLD - including their own.

I fully understand that some ccTLDs are hugely popular in their own markets, some aren't. Sadly, .us belongs to the latter group.

I started buying .us back in 2005. Those who were around on NP at the time may remember that the mood was more upbeat. Back then there was hope that .us would catch on and become a 'normal' ccTLD. That didn't happen. .us was released late to the public (2002). So in 2005 you could think that things would change.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you.

Past performance may not be indicative of future results.

•••
If your looking to flip domains to other domainers .US is not for you.
If your an end user or develope your own sites targeted the U.S.
you should look into the benefits of owning a name in your industry you otherwise couldn't afford in .com.

I believe due to everything going on that when the dust settles .US will be second to .com in the U.S.

P.S. imo

Last edited:
•••
I was saying that foreign companies have no bias against .us because they regard it like any other ccTLD - including their own.
I would suggest for your consideration that may be true for some, but also partly not accurate in a significant way for others. I would suggest that when 888 acquired poker.us, for instance, they did not consider it to be just like any other ccTLD. Their likely preexisting comfort with ccTLDs certainly likely factored in, however. I have had some sales in recent years myself which I also believe suggest what I am saying here, though I don't want to give details.

That's interesting, I don't really recall any such sentiment in 2005, though perhaps I wasn't here much or paying much attention. However, I was there at the beginning in 2002 for the release, making preorders, etc. I got a late start with that, however, because I could tell even then, before the release even happened, that relatively speaking, virtually no one even cared, except essentially a small group of those "in the know." It was being released quietly under a rock for all intents and purposes, just as I wrote before. The splashiest and most exciting thing even happening that I saw was that for some days beforehand there was a notice on the GD home page, but you could tell even from that virtually nobody really cared.
I believe due to everything going on that when the dust settles .US will be second to .com in the U.S.
I believe everything I wrote here already, that .US always could have been since day 1 and could still be just as huge and popular as you would normally expect such a TLD to be, for all the reasons I described. I believe this could also usher in a new era for all TLDs and be good for the country and by extension even the world. It's merely a matter of willingness, desire and would cost virtually nothing as far as I'm concerned, just as I wrote. No doubt there are huge, rich and powerful vested interests with influence that would not want that, among others, however.

Last edited:
•••
It does seem foreign companies/organizations use .US more than Americans. :)

Ron Jackson has talked about this. The recognition and market didn't mature as expected.

He still owns lots in the .US.

Last edited:
•••
The recognition and market didn't mature as expected.

That's the part we already know. How about...because of everything I've addressed, and it easily could if what I've addressed were taken to heart and done?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back