IT.COM

.us .US vs .CO.UK

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

bobby68

Account Closed
Impact
Would anyone agree that .co.uk's tend to be more popular than .us domain extensions with regards to buyers willingness to purchase.

If so why is this so?

+ i have never been on a .us site but loads of co.uk sites.

Whats the big issue with .us?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These are two very different extensions.

.co.uk is something of a "default" extension in the uk, (along with .com which seems to have a high market share in the UK also), it has alot of usage, prestige, history etc.

.us on the other hand is the country code of the US in a technical sense only, it is barely used and thus values are low. The country code of the US in reality is .com. The reason is .com took off in the US and became the default standard, .us was a local govnment extension, it missed the boat a long time ago and is very different to other extensions like .co.uk, .de, .se etc.

•••
.co.uk is preferred in the UK but .us has not had similar success here in the states

•••
Yes..
I do agree with you all..
.us hasnt had great success as .co.uk..
I have observed this in many situations...

•••
I agree with all the above.
Also, the way the .US extension is being promoted is nothing short of shameful and amateurish.
It was a colossal mistake not to award the extension to GoDaddy for administration. I'm willing to bet that the extension would have a totally different spin and publicity going by now. Unfortunately, we have to wait until the contract expires and hope for better times the next time 'round, OR, business owners suddenly become patriotic and country conscious and realize that .US depicts their country.... wishful thinking :(

M.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back