Dynadot

What is "ClientHold" Status in whois lookup?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
While researching for a potential .com name for my new website I came across a domain name which had expired way back in mid of 2013 in the month of May and its whois lookup was still saying that it is registered and displaying that expired record of the registrant. And when I reported that to ICANN, within 30 mins its "Registry status" changed to "ClientHold" but in the "Registrar Whois" its still showing the same old record. So what's going on I ddon't undestand? Any chances of drop?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Based on what you described, unfortunately no. CLIENT HOLD generally applies to domain names with "issues" such as registrant/domain holder gone bankrupt or any legal disputes. However, registrars generally don't reveal those issues to third parties.

•••
Thanks. Can you tell the max time the registrar can keep it in this "Clienthold" Status" for ?

•••
Thanks. Can you tell the max time the registrar can keep it in this "Clienthold" Status" for ?

None, especially if the domain name is involved in a complex issue.

•••

I've been watching one for a year and a half. The registry actually allowed it to be renewed while in client hold.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back