IT.COM

WHOIS history databases and WHOIS privacy service temporarily switched off..

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

brandnow

Selling hotcakesTop Member
Impact
I've wondered this for a while. Hopefully someone can suggest an answer. I'm familiar with sites where anyone can pay to view the WHOIS history of any domain.

Here's my question.. Sometimes when you're transferring a domain from one registrar to a new registrar.. the new registrar needs the domain owner to temporarily remove the WHOIS privacy in order to receive the authorization e-mail. For example, I am having this problem right now trying to transfer a ngtld domain from Hover to Uniregistry. I can't receive the authorization e-mail from Uniregistry unless I temporarily turn off the domain WHOIS privacy over at Hover. This is no problem. It's literally unchecking a box. My concern though for this situation and other similar situations it that for this domain that I DO NOT want my e-mail address visible in any kind of WHOIS history database.

So that's my question. If you turn off WHOIS privacy for 5 - 10 minutes.. is it likely my e-mail address and other info will show up in some WHOIS history database.. or is it pretty safe?

Basically, I'm not sure how these WHOIS history services work. Anybody know how frequently they scan the WHOIS info?

Thanks for any insight into this question.. I've been wondering for a while.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just to clarify a bit further what I mean...

I mean sometimes it's no problems getting the authorization e-mail even with WHOIS protection turned on. But sometimes (not sure because of a bug or what) it doesn't work. And the receiving registrar will suggest that you just turn your WHOIS protection off for a few minutes in order to successfully receive the e-mail.

•••
If those whois services happen to crawl your whois when you've turned privacy off, then it will get cached. The likelihood is slim. But the chance is always there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back