NameSilo

Whoa. RickLatona.com's NamePros!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dag

Senior MemberVIP Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
a good read:
http://www.namepros.com/domain-name...se-whining-complaining.html?highlight=whining

aww said:
I don't know about you, but I spend 10 hours a day online starring at a CRT. When my eyes have to deal with this kind of nonsense it makes me look for other sites that aren't as harsh.

Also, I have a personal problem with people's names as their website indicating 100% ego driven attitude, but that's moot since I can block those graphics fairly easily.

I vaguely remember Firefox has a plugin that can override stylesheets so that may solve my problem. But I am more concerned about the overall concept of allowing this to happen. Was the money that good? That worth it? Don't you worry about newbies signing up and seeing this kind of annoying appearance, even though it's temporary?

•••
aww said:
ps. Does this mean NamePros has been "Rick Rolled" ? :(

Aww, you've posted here (you know, to share your knowledge and help the community) a total of eleven (11) times since September '07 .... exactly why would you state something so definitive as, "because my willingness to use this forum just disappeared, forever" with the advent of an colorful, unique sponsorship ... now barely one day old? IYHO. :|

Thanks for the assist, as I don't remember you ever being this crotchedy! :guilty: :imho:
-Jeff B-)

•••
LOL, okay good approach.

When the people that use the site complain about an extreme
change that you've done, attack THEM for not dealing with it.

Let me know how that works out for you.

There must have been a heck of a lot of money involved for this kind of change. If Namepros was that broke why didn't you ask for donations?

•••
Polurnet is for winter purposes
RickLatona is for summer purposes
that's what I see

•••
Was the money that good? That worth it?

Absolutely. Not having to worry about keeping the site sponsored for the rest of the year is worth it in itself. We haven't had a sponsor in the main spot since January and I never want to resort to paid memberships or asking for donations.

Don't you worry about newbies signing up and seeing this kind of annoying appearance?

Activity has actually increased the last two days, believe it or not.

This is a temporary campaign. The benefits are long term. We've had the same washed out blue color scheme since 2003. With a properly sized browser window, I'm enjoying the change of scenery myself. I am sorry you're not.

aww said:
(I hope you understand we wouldn't complain so much if we didn't like Namepros so much)
I know this. I told staff I would be worried if there weren't any complaints. It's good people care. Hope I didn't sound too defensive because I am enjoying hearing feedback, good and bad. :]

RJ

•••
Well, I am actually getting used to this color sheme now. But I am afraid it would be very difficult for me to adjust my eyes back to NP skin.

•••
•••
If Ricks newsletter truely is the largest most popular of the industry then maybe NamePros and Rick's newsletters should just merge and truely become an even bigger newsletter/email or whatever, then I might sign up. Since that seems to be the main point of this campaign anyway, more sign ups to Ricks emails.

I want to see a green color scheme, let GreenGambler have the forum for a while :) lol :hearts: :notme:

Last edited:
•••
aww said:
LOL, okay good approach.

When the people that use the site complain about an extreme
change that you've done, attack THEM for not dealing with it.

How about just answering the question above, Aww. :blink:
Why such a definitive statement ... one day into the sponsorship? Is it the bright red and orange colors? :red:

Thanks much.
-Jeff B-)

Last edited:
•••
co signups or co subscription approach just like what opt-media.com is offering but with a twist, namepros ads can be republished on ricklatona's newsletter and vice-versa
(for privacy purposes)

GreenGambler said:
If Ricks newsletter truely is the largest most popular of the industry then maybe NamePros and Rick's newsletters should just merge and truely become an even bigger newsletter/email or whatever. Since that seems to be the main point of this campaign anyway, more sign ups to Ricks emails.

•••
Alright well I know it costs major $$$ to keep this size of a server running each month so I'm going to try not to judge you for wanting the comfort and security of having such a big payday and comfort zone. Just wish it was a bit easier to cope with. I don't have the best eyesight and this isn't helping.

•••
shades anyone?
uber-shades.jpg

shades.icon.png

you can buy using np$

•••
aww said:
I don't have the best eyesight and this isn't helping.

^ Fair enough, Aww. :gl:

(Plus, I've known you since '04 and ... honestly ... didn't see it in your nature, under normal circumstances, to make such a definitive post upon first impression, IMHO). :guilty:

No worries, and hopefully see you again soon.
-Jeff B-)

•••
lol @ weblord... thanks but I have found a workaround, that doesn't cost a dime ;)

•••
Tools - > Options - > Color of Firefox?

flamewalker said:
lol @ weblord... thanks but I have found a workaround, that doesn't cost a dime ;)

•••
Yeah, not perfect as it affects all sites, but oh well.

•••
-RJ- said:
Don't you worry about newbies signing up and seeing this kind of annoying appearance?

Really. Interesting result, RJ, and I guess it worked. :)

•••
Back-to-Blue Countdown

It's not forever.....the "orange crush" skin will be missed.

(Clock margin of error + or - 3 hours)

Last edited:
•••
user should have an option of choosing the old color, it is not that hard to do in vbulletin.

•••
-RJ- said:
Was the money that good? That worth it?

Absolutely. Not having to worry about keeping the site sponsored for the rest of the year is worth it in itself. We haven't had a sponsor in the main spot since January and I never want to resort to paid memberships or asking for donations.

This is a temporary campaign. The benefits are long term. We've had the same washed out blue color scheme since 2003. With a properly sized browser window, I'm enjoying the change of scenery myself. I am sorry you're not.

I know this. I told staff I would be worried if there weren't any complaints. It's good people care. Hope I didn't sound too defensive because I am enjoying hearing feedback, good and bad. :]

RJ

RJ...i hope you don't mind if i write an open letter to ALL whiners, opponents, haters of your move to let Rick do this genious Advertising stunt on NP...(if yes, delete my post) :)

I quoted you because i agree 100% with you...not because you are the mayor or the founder or the boss

Forget about the money what was involved, forget about the yes or no to this stunt....you did this bold move because you wanted some change(and of course money lol)

And you thought of Ricks Idea "hey this guy has a bold idea, let's do it"

And that what counts...not people who get used to a boring forum theme who then wake up after 5 years because they see now all of the sudden a brighter color... hey i was even shocked when i first saw it

But A: i know it is temp. and B: it served the purpose, the haters hate Rick now because he was the guy who disturbed them and their boring world...

And the supporters love him because he brought change into their day (i sound a bit like obama, right?)

Anyway, everybody here will remember the name Rick Latona :)

So, it worked out just perfect.....

Even better, it will have an impact on NP because i see a lot of inquiries coming along your way.....:)

I am not writing this to wipe the "Charmin" around the "Charmin"area, (like some people would think right now), i just want to say" if everyone just calms down and thinks about everything twice", the world would be a better place in this world(at least the Namepros World) :D

Cheers,

Frank

P.S: Keep the arguments coming, another proof that this advertising worked because there are plenty of arguments...:) (and you get used to the colors, believe me)
""I have bad eyes myself.....""!!

Last edited:
•••
Dig the old school 70s font, the color combo makes me hungry for an egg McMuffin for some reason .

•••
As Obama might say,

It was the call of a website seeking a sponsor; domain buyers and sellers communing together at one moment in time ; a webmaster who dared change a five year old color scheme ; and a domain industry mogul who took us to his blog and pointed the way to premium domains at bargain prices.

Yes we can to bright red and brighter orange. Yes we can to a twenty-one page thread debating the meaning of it all. Yes we can bling out this website. Yes we can save this community.

Yes we can.

I appreciate the post, liquidcherry. :]

RJ

•••
Well said liquidcherry. :D

I already got used to the change. I reckon i'll be real shocked when the old blue comes back. :hehe:

•••
scary ....... i've got used to it !!!!

•••
lzy said:
Well said liquidcherry. :D

I already got used to the change. I reckon i'll be real shocked when the old blue comes back. :hehe:

To be honest, i don't want the old theme back, this one keeps me awake because of the brightness :)

RJ, you are always welcome, great response, thx....

Please, after Ricks Advertising is gone put this theme in the theme chooser(without the backdrop, that was a bit much- last night i dreamed about"NAMEPROS.COM brought to you by RickLatona.com" and woke up, sweating all over my Serta Matress...... :)

Yes, i claim to be the first to put this in the theme-chooser !! LOL

Cheers,

Frank

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back