NameSilo

new gtlds Who Really Cares About New gTLDs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
I can't think of a single new gTLD that I've seen promoted in a mainstream advertisement or any company's marketing materials.
Of course, as a domain name attorney, I'm well aware of the new gTLD program in general, as well as some specific adoptions, such as <abc.xyz> by Google's parent Alphabet; <badgerbank.bank> by a small bank in Wisconsin; and <global.canon> by the camera company.
The sheer number of new gTLDs means that most of them are struggling for recognition. Indeed, excluding the top five most-popular new gTLDs (.xyz, .top, .wang, .win and .club), no new gTLD accounts for more than 2% of the market, according to nTLDStats.
Still, in many cases, trademark owners are simply choosing to ignore the new gTLDs because they don't value them for themselves and they sometimes don't care what a cybersquatter is doing in a gTLD that no one knows about...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Whatever that fits your philosophy, these rants are just pathetic.

•••
We have likened this "new" wave over the last couple of years to when we were all being sold on .info and .biz. We got stung then on the registry hype and so continue to be cautious with the same pitch that we would have to invest (uh, spend) big dosh to protect our brands. Again. OUR decision this time out was, and is still: No.

Fool me once…

•••
Whatever that fits your philosophy, these rants are just pathetic.

I don't see it as a rant, just an article. Is there something specific in the article you disagree with? Just the perspective of an attorney specializing in internet law, domain names etc.

•••
I really like .host & .land

Cheers
Corey

•••
As comment on the original article noted below,

Unless there are 22 million plus in the domain name industry.....who are the only ones who've heard of new gTLDs, the evidence points otherwise.
So does increasing and widespread use in advertising and elsewhere:
www.inthewild.domains

•••
I would bet a great deal of those 25M nGTLD's are owned by the Registry's themselves.

•••
I like the gtld defenders. I've participated on making an official "brand" with a generic and how it doesn't really seem feasible. But, things surprise me all the time.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back