Dynadot

new gtlds Top 20 Best New gTLDs Based on Quality

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
As a part of Globe Runner’s New gTLD SEO Power Rankings Index, we gathered data from over 20,000 websites that have been actually built–or developed, on New gTLD domain names. From that list of over 20,000 websites, we have studied these websites’ qualities, and pulled a lot of other interested data. We were able to find the best New gTLDs based on quality.
Sure, there have been a lot of New gTLD domain names registered, but just because a domain name is registered doesn’t mean that an actual website has been built on that domain name. Globe Runner took the time to come up with an extensive list of fully developed websites–most of which are indexed in the search engines, and some actually ranking well in the search results...
Read More

Related: Announcing the New gTLD SEO Power Rankings Index

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are other companies that have done research on new gTLD's and found the same result. The new gTLD's have potential despite what all the old school .com domainers say. The facts do not lie. Houston based SEO consultancy Total Websites’ did a study. They tested whether a new gTLD website could beat an EMD (exact match domain) .com website. They sampled 20 new gTLDs and found that the new gTLD domain name outperformed the .com version. Another study done by the German company Searchmetrics, it is actual data that shows the positive SEO effects on new gTLD’s pertaining to Google.

•••
There are other companies that have done research on new gTLD's and found the same result. The new gTLD's have potential despite what all the old school .com domainers say. The facts do not lie. Houston based SEO consultancy Total Websites’ did a study. They tested whether a new gTLD website could beat an EMD (exact match domain) .com website. They sampled 20 new gTLDs and found that the new gTLD domain name outperformed the .com version. Another study done by the German company Searchmetrics, it is actual data that shows the positive SEO effects on new gTLD’s pertaining to Google.

Oh brother. Let's just take a look at one you mentioned, the Searchmetrics one. You left some info out didn't you? "where they compared local search results in Berlin comparing the performance of .berlin, .de and .com websites"

The Total Websites one is a bit of a joke as well. They found examples of when a site on a new gtld beat other sites using .com and other extensions. You can pick any extension in the world and find examples. You can find sites on .pw beating .com, .net, .insert some new gtld. Goes back to quality of site, SEO etc. and that can be with any extension.

One of the examples they used was psychology tools, well I can use expired domain tools - https://www.google.com/search?q=expired+domain+tools&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

See all the .coms beating the .tools domain?

Also, read this post and the links in the post - https://www.namepros.com/threads/google-how-we-handle-new-gtlds.870751/

And it really comes down to a lot more than just the domain such as content, links in, the usual stuff. You're trying to make it out like getting these new ones are going to give you some sort of advantage, when it's not*.

*Maybe the local stuff like the .berlin example above but you still need a quality site.

The reality has always been you can rank a site on any extension but sites on an extension people are familiar with, like a .com or a .org or some country code etc, do get more clicks when they're in the same neighborhood as sites on extensions people might not know. That's part of the value.

Last edited:
•••
In .com's defense, it still holds its top spot in the domain industry. We all know this. Most premium domain names are .com. But when it comes to 'brand-ability' the new gTLD's are very valuable. The facts from numerous studies show that new gTLD's are SEO friendly. It enhances space for creativity.

If we had a conversation in 1999 about .com. Nobody expected .com to become what it became. A few saw the opportunity and took it. The new gTLD's are a game changer. There is a reason why Google applied for 101 new gTLD's. The new gTLD's are valuable. I heard of corporations ditching .com for a new gTLD. The opportunity is there...

•••
The facts from numerous studies show that new gTLD's are SEO friendly.

What does that even mean? Again, you can rank with any extension.

A lot of the rest of your post is marketing mumbo jumbo. Game changer, or "brand-ability" etc.

"I heard of corporations ditching .com for a new gTLD."

I only know of one, Barclays, and that was stupid of them and they might go back to the .com in the future. They still have the .com on their Twitter - https://twitter.com/barclays, still using it elsewhere.

"There is a reason why Google applied for 101 new gTLD's."

Can you give me a list of ones they have and I can register right now.

•••
It means that instead of registering coffeeclub.com you can register coffee.club simple as that. The new gTLD's are here to stay. Those who don't 'adapt' to change will miss the boat.

•••
It means that instead of registering coffeeclub.com you can register coffee.club simple as that. The new gTLD's are here to stay. Those who don't 'adapt' to change will miss the boat.

Of course you would say that, you're selling new gtlds. But your boss is buying what extension the most?

•••
I only know of one, Barclays, and that was stupid of them and they might go back to the .com in the future. They still have the .com on their Twitter - https://twitter.com/barclays, still using it elsewhere.

Stupid in the mind of a .com domainer/new gTLD hater. Controlling ones own extension as a bank offers you security features beyond what any public extension ever can offer.

•••
Stupid in the mind of a .com domainer/new gTLD hater. Controlling ones own extension as a bank offers you security features beyond what any public extension ever can offer.

Citic tried it, went from .com to limited.citic, then went right back to .com.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITIC_Group

Time will tell. Plus, this really doesn't have much to do with the new gtlds people can invest in. That Barclays is using their name isn't going to make your investments any better. It's not a gtld you can buy, so not even the same thing.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Citic tried it, went from .com to limited.citic, then went right back to .com.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CITIC_Group

Time will tell. Plus, this really doesn't have much to do with the new gtlds people can invest in. That Barclays is using their name isn't going to make your investments any better. It's not a gtld you can buy, so not even the same thing.

I said nothing about my new gTLD:s only pointed out your ignorance. They were smart, you were not.

•••
So what are the top 20? That was supposed to be why this post was here, to tell us what they were and I am sorry if I am missing something here I have an 18 month old climbing all over my desk etc. :)

•••
I said nothing about my new gTLD:s only pointed out your ignorance. They were smart, you were not.

We have different opinions on it, doesn't make one ignorant, plus like I said, too early to tell. So do you think Citic made a bad move going back to the .com? Maybe they were ignorant and you know more than the Citic Group, I'm sure they would appreciate your input.

Last edited:
•••
Okay I feel the link is too premature in its findings lots more have come out since then (May 27th) also many of them have not been advertised nearly as much as others have, this is probably a 5 years from now conversation really isn't it.

•••
We have different opinions on it, doesn't make one ignorant, plus like I said, too early to tell. So do you think Citic made a good move going back to the .com? Maybe you should inform them why it was wrong.
You are calling them stupid because they add another security layer for their business. No more daily phishing scams. You still can't explain why they are stupid, because they won't buy your domains perhaps? Or do you fear they will decrease the value of your .com's?

Why should I inform Citic? You keep draging them up even though I never commented on their case. Was that the company who used limited.companyname? Are they a bank?
Using limited.companyname don't make any sense to me if that's what you want to know.

•••
You are calling them stupid because they add another security layer for their business. No more daily phishing scams. You still can't explain why they are stupid, because they won't buy your domains perhaps? Or do you fear they will decrease the value of your .com's?

Why should I inform Citic? You keep draging them up even though I never commented on their case. Was that the company who used limited.companyname? Are they a bank?
Using limited.companyname don't make any sense to me if that's what you want to know.

Yes, I'll always think that from a marketing perspective, going from something that works to something new. Because they won't buy my domains? I don't have any that would fit their market. Decrease the value of my .coms? Be real. You ever hear of sales reports/charts? You should spend some time with them. What's missing from them are the extensions you're investing in, .coms still dominate, just went over that in another thread.

Citic, do you not know how to Google? Yes, banking is one thing they do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=citic+banking&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

They tried limited.citic and went back to their .com. They could be using .citic right now for their banking sites, they're not.

Couple of blog posts about the move to .citic and then back to .com

http://domainincite.com/17297-first-company-abandons-com-for-new-dot-brand-gtld

http://domainincite.com/17785-first-live-dot-brand-switches-back-to-com

And if Barclays stays with their name, so what? What does that mean for new gtld investors exactly? You seemed to get hurt feelings over this and taking it personally when we just have differing opinions on it.

Does this look much better - www.home.barclays/

People are so used to the main name coming first, followed by the extension. Are we going to have a bunch of home.brand names now, everybody being home.

Last edited:
•••
Yes, I'll always think that from a marketing perspective, going from something that works to something new. Because they won't buy my domains? I don't have any that would fit their market. Decrease the value of my .coms? Be real. You ever hear of sales reports/charts? You should spend some time with them. What's missing from them are the extensions you're investing in, .coms still dominate, just went over that in another thread.

Citic, do you not know how to Google? Yes, banking is one thing they do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=citic+banking&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

They tried limited.citic and went back to their .com. They could be using .citic right now for their banking sites, they're not.

Couple of blog posts about the move to .citic and then back to .com

http://domainincite.com/17297-first-company-abandons-com-for-new-dot-brand-gtld

http://domainincite.com/17785-first-live-dot-brand-switches-back-to-com

And if Barclays stays with their name, so what? What does that mean for new gtld investors exactly? You seemed to get hurt feelings over this and taking it personally when we just have differing opinions on it.

Does this look much better - www.home.barclays/

People are so used to the main name coming first, followed by the extension. Are we going to have a bunch of home.brand names now, everybody being home.

There is an advantage for a bank running ones own extension regardless of your preferences.

You just seem so worried about these new gTLD:s since you feel the need to slam the off every single day in all sorts of threads.

My portfolio consist of ccTLD's, .com's and new gTLD:s with new gTLD:s being the smallest piece of the cake so don't make stuff up, that's just pathetic.

•••
There is an advantage for a bank running ones own extension regardless of your preferences.

You just seem so worried about these new gTLD:s since you feel the need to slam the off every single day in all sorts of threads.

My portfolio consist of ccTLD's, .com's and new gTLD:s with new gTLD:s being the smallest piece of the cake so don't make stuff up, that's just pathetic.

Slamming them? My posts are relevant to the conversation, scroll up. I'm usually quoting somebody and replying. There were some things posted leaving some stuff out. And stuff you don't want to talk about sales, reg numbers etc. don't paint a rosy picture, so you see pointing that out as slamming, when it's just being real. Look at the top 100 sales this year, 2 new gtlds. One being the charity sale talked about, the other being wine.club, a registry sale. Where the sales at? You said you're getting some in some other thread and I asked, ok what are they. Then, as expected, oh, I can't talk about them. People who get decent sales would, because it gives hope to others.

This would be more slamming, guy named Vivaldi messing with the .plus investors - https://www.namepros.com/threads/your-plus-domains.868535/#post-4936202

"My portfolio consist of ccTLD's, .com's and new gTLD:s with new gTLD:s being the smallest piece of the cake so don't make stuff up, that's just pathetic."

What have I made up? Quote me. I reread my posts, and I said you're investing in new gtlds, well, that's a fact. You have a domain blog on a new gtld, you have a thread buying them. Which you should update btw before it gets closed. They're closing threads here that look abandoned, I believe it's in the rules. It's been over a month and half since you posted - https://www.namepros.com/threads/buying-new-gtlds.847155/page-5

•••
What's missing from them are the extensions you're investing in, .coms still dominate, just went over that in another thread.
That's just pahtetic from you since I buy loads of .com's and will continue to do so.

Why should I disuss the sales numbers with you when I have a decent ROI with new gTLD:s already. Should I stop to trade new gTLD:s just because of your data and personal preferences perhaps. I just quoted your ignorance, then you are starting to play mod?

Let's see if you can stop decent new gTLD:s growing in value all by yourself with this keyboard war you are so commited to :)

•••
That's just pahtetic from you since I buy loads of .com's and will continue to do so.

Why should I disuss the sales numbers with you when I have a decent ROI with new gTLD:s already. Should I stop to trade new gTLD:s just because of your data and personal preferences perhaps. I just quoted your ignorance, then you are starting to play mod?

Let's see if you can stop decent new gTLD:s growing in value all by yourself with this keyboard war you are so commited to :)

Let's all remember there are those who welcome, want change and there will also be those that just can't handle it.

•••
•••
9.gold store.gold 58.gold 77.golf b2c.bike dfb.team ktv.rock and others. it's mine.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back