Dynadot

Where Is My Name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rinkuji

Top Member
Impact
Yesterday I bid on Cryptosutra.com on GoDaddy Expired Domains.
My bid was second bid which I placed before 7 minutes to end auction.
By First bidders Automatic Bid I get Outbid. Then I placed second bid of $24.
Got message on same screen "You are Highest Bidder"
Then I watched Auction till last second.. I repeat till LAST SECOND as if there will be any other bid I will place my next bid.
Fortunately there was No Any Bid before me.
And on same screen I got message "Congrats. You won Auction"
As I got won message, I Logout from my GoDaddy account.
But when I see today in my Auction account, shockingly I am not winner as somebody outbid me and won auction at $39.

So I have some questions to @Joe Styler @Paul Nicks

1) As I already won auction, Do I get this Name or Not?
2) If Auction already Ends who is this Third Bidder who Win Auction?
3) Is this bidder name HugeDomains.com?
4) Do you regularly reopen auctions when it already ends to some VIPs?
5) Don't GoDaddy think its against the rules and ethics?
6) Do GoDaddy have different rules for small domainers and different rules for Big Pocket Guys? ("All are equal, but some are more equal than others." - George Orwell)
7) Why GoDaddy Auction team took 72 Hrs to reply email even the situation is serious?
8) I usually see that if expired name is HOT and when I check 5 to 10 minutes before auction ends at "GoDaddy.com" it shows message "Auction Ends. Name is not available" BUT at same time when I go through "ExpiredDomains.net" same name is still available to buy in last five minutes?.. Why this Glitch in last 5 - 10 minutes only?
9) If there was NO Bid then when that Name come to Closeouts?
...As I see Another Name yesterday which you closed auction before 5 minutes and there was no any bid But name is not yet in Closeouts? It shows "This domain isn't available for purchase right now. but it could be available soon"

It was really disappointing experience. Anybody here has similar kind of experience?

Regards

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Paul Nicks Thanks for reply Sir,

I don't understand Time Stamp you shows here.
As I am bidding from India, it shows me time in IST.
I bid exactly at 9.25 PM ($24) just before 5 minutes to auction end times. As it shows me Auction Ends 9.30 PM IST.
I checked live clock on that page and there was no any bid after me in that 5 minutes and screen shows "You are Highest Bidder"
As I said before I checked till last second and was prepared if there will be another bid I will place my next bid. But No Bid after me and on that same screen it shows after 9.30 PM "Congrats. You Won Auction"

•••
I understand that the display may not have updated correctly. It is possible that the client display didn't see the extended auction due to network latency from Arizona to India but I have no way of verifying that. All I can say right now is that a bid was placed after yours and correctly extended the auction by 5m.

•••
I understand that the display may not have updated correctly. It is possible that the client display didn't see the extended auction due to network latency from Arizona to India but I have no way of verifying that. All I can say right now is that a bid was placed after yours and correctly extended the auction by 5m.

What can I say on this now..? :xf.confused:

•••
That is also what I see there were other bids coming in after yours. The one right after yours extended the auction 5 minutes, then there were even more bids.I don't see any way you could get a "you win" message when the auction wasn't over. It didn't end for another 11 minutes after your last bid because of auto extensions on the final end time due to higher bids by different parties.

To answer a couple of the other questions you had - Auctions support didn't take 72 hours to answer you, the auction only ended 2 days ago so it hasn't even been 72 hours yet. I am sure they would have given you the same answer if you gave them time.

I would not rely on 3rd party sites such as expireddomains.net. I don't have any problem with them and know a lot of people like them but if you are bidding on an auction with us it is really important you rely on our timing and site directly to see bids etc. That is the only site we can control. If as others have pointed out there is an influx of bid activity in the last minutes of the auction it is especially important to use our site to watch those names as they are in their final minutes if there is latency on other sites relaying our auction information.

For the other name that you didn't see go to closeouts, there are two possibilities. It was renewed, or someone else (multiple parties) were all watching that same domain and waiting for it and bought it faster than you. If they see the domain and place it into the cart it will make it disappear from the site before it is even paid for.

•••
I think this incident kinda shows that GoDaddy are not an honest broker anymore running their own auctions. Their systems are automated. This kind of problem shouldn't even exist. [B]@Joe Styler[/B]
We are honest as the day is long. :) The auction was auto extended due to additional bids coming in after the bid placed by the OP.

•••
Also I just did an audit of the messages sent by us for this auction. We send the OP an outbid notice - details from the log below. I can see the message content as well showing the high bid was now $29.
From our logs:
Sent cryptosutra.com 5/12/2018 9:02:29 AM

I do not see any winning confirmation sent in error on this auction.

•••
hey @Joe Styler Thanks for Reply Sir.

I don't see any way you could get a "you win" message when the auction wasn't over.

Unfortunately I didn't took screen shot of 'You Win" as one member said I should. But as I said I already bought names and I didn't took screenshot ever. why should I..? I don't need to lie. I got Message on same screen.

That is also what I see there were other bids coming in after yours. The one right after yours extended the auction 5 minutes,

So, you were outbid 47 seconds after your final bid, and that reset the auction end time to 5m later

As per You and Paul Nicks there was next bid right after me. No there was no any bid right after me in 47 seconds or later. I was watching auction and if there were any bid I surely outbid it cuz I already prepared for it.

Please check below screenshot.

1.png

2.png

If you see, my bid ($24) was at 9.25 PM and there was no any bid after me in 47 seconds.
Auction ends at 9.30 PM and I got message "You Win"
As per GD there was next bid comes at 9.32 PM ($29) after auction ends at 9.30 PM .. 2 Minutes later after Auction Closed. (not 47 seconds after me. Its 7 minutes later after me) There was no any chance to see that bids as I already Logout when I got WIN message on screen. (If you can show screenshot of that 47 seconds later bid it will be more helpful)

Auctions support didn't take 72 hours to answer you, the auction only ended 2 days ago so it hasn't even been 72 hours yet.

Just got same message from Joe S to my mail. (Is that You..?) It took 48 Hrs.
But I said 72 Hrs cuz I see it in your automatic reply when I sent message.

I would not rely on 3rd party sites such as expireddomains.net. I don't have any problem with them and know a lot of people like them but if you are bidding on an auction with us it is really important you rely on our timing and site directly to see bids etc.

Actually they have many options to chose and you can see much things related to expired domains / closeouts hence most users chose them rather directly searching on GD. And it is Free.
I have exactly opposite issue. when I see name through GD it shows Auction Ends and when I go through ExpiredDomains to GD, it shows available. Other members from different countries can more talk on this issue of latency if they have same experience.

For the other name that you didn't see go to closeouts, there are two possibilities. It was renewed, or someone else (multiple parties) were all watching that same domain and waiting for it and bought it faster than you.

That name is not HOT .com so there will be any competition. It is ngTLD name. It was in Expired auction for $12. Then next day $11 - $10 - Just checked its now $9 in Closeouts. But still I get same message.
"This domain isn't available for purchase right now, but it could be available soon."

Even I tell to other country friends to buy it for me but they also get same error. Its price decreasing day by day but I am not able to buy it since last 3 days. As I said its not HOT name if I don't buy nobody will buy. If you are able to buy I will PM you name and error screenshot. I will send you money first and then you buy.

We are honest as the day is long. :) The auction was auto extended due to additional bids coming in after the bid placed by the OP.

I agree about auction extend time but all drama played when I already logout as winner.
Honesty is must in any kind of business as well in person. I am not GD hater or no other Registrar paid me to start this thread. Rather I don't talk much here. I bought my first name with GD rather I am sure 90% people start with you. I am not domainer or domain investor, its just my hobby. I sold names here only so if I don't get that name it means max $100 - $200 loss to me. Not big deal. I didn't lie single word. I don't need to. I just opened this thread for awareness.

Thank You.

•••
Briefly as your reply is pretty long. The screenshots you show are showing other bidders. You were outbid. I also gave you the timestamp of the outbid email you got, you can check your email box for it. We didn't tell you you won and then later open it up for other bidders. There were multiple bidders coming in at the last minute. This is normal on the auctions here or elsewhere.

The auction did not and could not close in two minutes of you placing your bid. The auction, if it had less than 2 minutes left would add another 5 minutes automatically once your bid outbid the previous bidder. This means if you try and outbid someone in the last couple minutes the auction automatically auto extends an additional 5 minutes on the closing time to allow that bidder to rebid. There were other bids placed after yours. There is no possible way for you to both outbid someone in the last less than 5 minutes of an auction and not have the auction time automatically adjust. The situation you are describing is impossible and that is backed up and supported by the screenshots you show. i.e. more time was added the auction did not end when you state it would. Anytime there is a bid that changes the lead in the last 5 minutes of the auction, it extends an additional 5 minutes. Your screen shots bear this out.

Send me a pm on the domain in closeouts you cannot buy. I will look at it why you cannot add it to your cart.

The answer you got was from me. I was in there researching the auction and the email as you said you emailed I wanted to find out. It makes no sense to let someone else answer it if I already spent 15 minutes looking into it, just wastes other people's time to do the same work I just did and give you the same answer.

As far as using expireddomains.net I understand the reasons why people use it. What my point is, is that you cannot use them as the standard for our auction information. We have no way to control what is or is not on their site and you need to go by our site for bids, times, etc. It is the only authoritative site for our auctions.

•••
@Rinkuji - You just cannot sit there waiting for a new bid to show up. You have you continually refresh your auction page, every few seconds (say 5 seconds or less) because you might not be seeing live data because of any network latency between US and India. I'm not saying this is the cause. But its highly likely the answer, if you didn't continually refresh your page.

I understand you take screenshots of everything including "you win" notices. But isn't it just s@ds law, when the only screenshot you cannot provide is the "you win" for this domain?

@Joe Styler - I retract my disparaging remarks. I will ask the Mods at NP to delete my remarks and your rebuttal.

@Any Date Genius - It's a bit difficult with these time comparisons because the logs are in Arizona time zone, and Rinkuji's screenshots are in Indian time. I personally, have a blind spot when it comes to time zones. I guess I'm not the only one.Can somebody who is a lot smarter than me, convert Rinkuji's Indian times in his screenshots to Arizona times? So we can compare those with the logs shown by @Paul Nicks. That is beyond my ken.

@Rinkuji - I think you have misrepresented what I told you about "the other domain". I told you that I could not find it in the Closeout Auctions. I only found the domain in question by the link you gave me, https://www.godaddy.com/dpp/find?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=xxxx.com
(the domain name is not the domain in question, but the path is correct). But going to the correct url told me it was a Premium Auction (not a Closeout) not yet started. I also only ever saw only the $12 price, which never reduced to $9, because the auction had never started. Incidentally. I just tried going to this same url, and it now only resolves to the GoDaddy Search Box, but doesn't let you search for that domain anymore. So there must be something very different going on with Closeout Auctions in India, than in other parts of the world. Do you have screenshots of the $9 BIN which doesn't work? Both the offer, and GoDaddy's response to the offer to buy.

Also. I just researched, if you do a whois of that name outside of GoDaddy, it doesn't show the usual redirect to a GoDaddy whois url. It looks like it's a reserved name at Verisign. So somebody has been tinkering with this domain at GoDaddy within the last few days.

I think maybe you should also clear your browser cache and try again. Do you still see the same?

•••
There were multiple bidders coming in at the last minute. This is normal on the auctions here or elsewhere.

more time was added the auction did not end when you state it would. Anytime there is a bid that changes the lead in the last 5 minutes of the auction, it extends an additional 5 minutes. Your screen shots bear this out.

Yes you are Right. I agree that 5 minutes addition. But I already said I logout from account after seeing "You Win" But as I said before it was not million dollar name so I should cry. I am talking here just to take attention if you have any bugs / glitch / latency in your platform as I see its recently updated so hopefully it will save time and energy of thousands of domainers. But you can firm to your decision as its your Right.

Send me a pm on the domain in closeouts you cannot buy. I will look at it why you cannot add it to your cart.

I also only ever saw only the $12 price, which never reduced to $9, because the auction had never started. Incidentally. I just tried going to this same url, and it now only resolves to the GoDaddy Search Box, but doesn't let you search for that domain anymore. So there must be something very different going on with Closeout Auctions in India, than in other parts of the world. Do you have screenshots of the $9 BIN which doesn't work? Both the offer, and GoDaddy's response to the offer to buy.

Sent you last night $10 Screenshot. As I said It decrease everyday from $12 - $9. But unfortunately as I see now its already sold. I tried 3 days but didn't able to buy. As I said its poor ngTLD and very rarely someone want it. I want it just because this name has 6 Bids at SEDO. Again somebody bought my name without my fault.

@Rinkuji - You just cannot sit there waiting for a new bid to show up. You have you continually refresh your auction page, every few seconds (say 5 seconds or less)

I refresh that page every 1 - 2 minutes. (not 5 seconds) But there was no any chance to see bids comes after me because I logout at 9.30 PM (auction ends) and bid comes at 9.32 PM

It's a bit difficult with these time comparisons because the logs are in Arizona time zone, and Rinkuji's screenshots are in Indian time. I personally, have a blind spot when it comes to time zones.

Same here. I also tried to check Google if there any websites which convert Time Zone but there is no any perfect and easy website like we convert currency. (Its opportunity for developers here)

Also. I just researched, if you do a whois of that name outside of GoDaddy, it doesn't show the usual redirect to a GoDaddy whois url. It looks like it's a reserved name at Verisign.

It was registered at GoDaddy hence GD Whois show owner data. When you check other sites like whois.com it shows Raw Whois Data and Disclaimer by Verisign. But it is common and Not Reserved as Verisign is Registry of that ngTLD. I already own some names in that TLD and whois show same Disclaimer not my info.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back