IT.COM

Where do you get most of your sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

morf13

Top Member
Impact
Just curious where most people get sales for their domains?

At any given time, I may have 900 or more domains regged, and 98% I have parked with Voodoo.
98% of them are listed for sale on Godaddy, Sedo,and Flippa,with only about 10% listed at Afternic.

To date, I have had zero offers & zero sales via Flippa, 2 offers & zero sales via Sedo, Zero offers & zero salesvia Afternic, and a fair amount of offers and a few sales via Godaddy.

The rest of my offers,and sales have been via Voodoo parking.

I was curious what works best for everybody else, and what is most successful

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sedo.
But it's because I tend to park the domains there.

The platform isn't that important. What is important is the quality of the domain. If an end user wants your domain, they will find you. They will usually visit the name to see if it's in use. Then if the name is for sale they will either contact you from whois, or use the platform where the name is parked.

There are millions of domains listed on the marketplaces, so the end users have to be looking for your domains or at least something very similar. Otherwise what are the odds you'll ever make a sale... if you don't own domains that people are looking to buy ? :)

•••
Up until several years ago, SEDO used to be a good source of domain sales. Up until the launch of hundreds of new TLDs, Godaddy Premium Listings and Godaddy Auctions were good distribution channels. I have never found Afternic to be worth the time invested in listing, pricing or categorizing domains there. I guess now the only way to sell a domain is through your own landing page. Someone is specifically looking to brand on your domain and they type it directly into the browser bar and land on your portfolio site. If they search for the keyword at any registrar they will see dozens of competing TLDs where the domain is available for reg fee. Unless you own short .COMs, how do you compete with reg fee alternatives?

•••
Few offers through GoDaddy, Sedo, DomainNameSales etc... cause my domains are in their network but majority of leads/sales happen direct as I use my own landing pages so more offers generally come to where the domain name is pointed.

Domainers for years sent their domains to Sedo etc... and basically gave away their end user leads or basically built Sedo etc... for a fraction of parking revenue. So Sedo got a nice chunk of your parking income and your end user leads. Now that parking revenue isn't what it use to be more domainers are doing their own pages and finding out it's smarter to build your own database of end user leads instead of giving them away for pennies as then you're building your own future instead of creating one for another company.

So I give no credit to most markets as most end users they have were brought in or powered by domainers domains that created them. Only market I've seen spend on major TV advertising to bring in new end users is GoDaddy.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the replies. I hear a lot of people talk about 'landing pages'. Can you show an example of what a typical landing page should look like? Also, how much is involved in creating them?

•••
Thanks for the replies. I hear a lot of people talk about 'landing pages'. Can you show an example of what a typical landing page should look like? Also, how much is involved in creating them?

There are various scripts out there, wordpress plugins etc... if you wish to get your own server, have stats on your own server, ability to add ads, links to your network of sites etc... For someone that just wants to get something up quick with minimal effort I'd probably take a look at...

http://blog.bodis.com/improved-domain-sale-landing-pages/
http://salepage-inquiry.com/
http://salepage-escrow.com/

Last edited:
•••
I use NameInvestors.com domain shop but I hear EFTY.com is really nice as well. The primary advantage of bringing in your own leads is that you avoid paying marketplace commissions which can be 20% or more in some cases.

http://nameinvestors.com/shop

http://www.efty.com/

•••
•••
Regarding land pages I really like Efty.

•••
If you are good with HTML, I would suggest you get yourself a custom developed landing page template (can be bought for less than $20 from themeforest).

If you are not good with HTML, then I have recently seen Efty landing pages and they are really nice looking and professional. Try them out. Not sure how their pages/service works though (fee/sales commission of using their pages), so no idea about that.

•••
If you are good with HTML, I would suggest you get yourself a custom developed landing page template (can be bought for less than $20 from themeforest).

If you are not good with HTML, then I have recently seen Efty landing pages and they are really nice looking and professional. Try them out. Not sure how their pages/service works though (fee/sales commission of using their pages), so no idea about that.

Thanks for all the replies Everybody. I will take a look...by the way,I am NOT good with html

•••
•••
RE: Landing Pages

Say I want to use something like this-

Let's say i have 700 domains, do i need to design a landing page for each domain? I take it the servers are set to direct every domain to a single domain, say morf13domains dot com for example?

If you want to redirect every domain to your main domain (sales page), then you'll only need to setup a single landing page for that main domain.

•••
Thanks for the replies. I hear a lot of people talk about 'landing pages'. Can you show an example of what a typical landing page should look like?

I made/use my own: for example my domain CosmicCalendar.com .
It's responsive as well so it looks good not only on desktops and laptops but also on mobile devices such as iphones and ipads.

•••
I custom-design a landing page eg. 888733.com
Nothing fancy. It's a straight forward landing page design with basic info such as recent market sales etc.
The landing page is linked to Sedo sale/auction page http://www.billionaire.property/#!888733com/csz2

•••
@Raymond C Nice looking landing page you have there friend.

Just to add a little more to the landing page conversation, own landing/sales pages gives freedom and added advantage of using them in any way we want---with anything we want on them. In short, we can design and format the way we like.

That is why I also use my own customized landing pages and I highly recommend domainers to learn basic HTML and CSS as it will help them in the long run, not only with their landing pages, but you can develop simple websites as well for your developable domains.

•••
I made/use my own: for example my domain CosmicCalendar.com .
It's responsive as well so it looks good not only on desktops and laptops but also on mobile devices such as iphones and ipads.

So let's say you have 800 domains however, it looks like you would need to have a specific landing page designed for each domain, no?
Your page says 'cosmic calendar' is for sale. What if you had 800 others?

I guess you could have all of your domains point to one single sale page, that reads "the domain you are looking for is for sale"? And then put a spot for contact info and inquiry

•••
So let's say you have 800 domains however, it looks like you would need to have a specific landing page designed for each domain, no?

I guess you could have all of your domains point to one single sale page, that reads "the domain you are looking for is for sale"? And then put a spot for contact info and inquiry

You could indeed have all your domains point to one single sale page but in my case I have a landing page for around 650 domains. In the end you only need to make one template. Creation of the actual template can be time-consuming (in my case it took a few days) but since that is done I can now easily create a landing page for new domains, from that same template, in less than 3 minutes per domain (I only need to change a little bit of text each time to make it unique, since the design is already there). I could automate the process to make it faster as well but since my portfolio is not growing fast (maybe growing with a few domains per week) I don't need this functionality.

•••
You could indeed have all your domains point to one single sale page but in my case I have a landing page for around 650 domains. In the end you only need to make one template. Creation of the actual template can be time-consuming (in my case it took a few days) but since that is done I can now easily create a landing page for new domains, from that same template, in less than 3 minutes per domain (I only need to change a little bit of text each time to make it unique, since the design is already there). I could automate the process to make it faster as well but since my portfolio is not growing fast (maybe growing with a few domains per week) I don't need this functionality.

Makes sense thanks.
How about the contact/inquiry part of it? Is the contact info that the person puts in to contact you automated so you can see and collect their relative data such as full contact info, IP address etc?

•••
Makes sense thanks.
How about the contact/inquiry part of it? Is the contact info that the person puts in to contact you automated so you can see and collect their relative data such as full contact info, IP address etc?

I don't have an actual contact form on the landing page itself, however when you click on the contact link on the landing page it will take you to my main website's contact form and there you can ask any question. When a visitor fills in the contact form I see their IP address, contact info (name and email address), and whatever info they entered on the form (the domain name they are interested in, a question, an offer,...).

My business is focused on BIN pricing though so I sell more at BIN compared to people contacting me and making for example an offer on a domain name. I tried both ways (landing pages with contact forms and ones without) and I seem to have more success with the latter.

•••
•••
Have any of you had much success with the Bodis landing page? I've been using it for about a month with no sales through it as yet.

•••
I appreciate all the replies, but due to severe time constraints, I think for now, I am going to leave them parked at Voodoo. I am getting inquiries & sales from it. Maybe I will do the landing page down the road.

•••

You might be interested to follow my approach.

First, set up a main landing page on your web server using one of your domains, in my case I'm using a VPS which has a dedicated IP address.

Next, if your landing page using index.html extension please change it to index.php, find all definition of the domain name on your index.php and replace them with:

PHP:
<?php echo ucfirst($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']); ?>

Obtain the IP address of your server, and the last step is point as many domains as you want to your server's IP address by editing A record on your domain DNS zone. See the screenshot:

Domain Details.png

See the working example of my landing page:

nucker.com
nulled.info

Hope that helps!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back