Dynadot

Where do you get most of your sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

morf13

Top Member
Impact
Just curious where most people get sales for their domains?

At any given time, I may have 900 or more domains regged, and 98% I have parked with Voodoo.
98% of them are listed for sale on Godaddy, Sedo,and Flippa,with only about 10% listed at Afternic.

To date, I have had zero offers & zero sales via Flippa, 2 offers & zero sales via Sedo, Zero offers & zero salesvia Afternic, and a fair amount of offers and a few sales via Godaddy.

The rest of my offers,and sales have been via Voodoo parking.

I was curious what works best for everybody else, and what is most successful

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is only part of the problem with Paypal. They will freeze your account for no good reason without notice or explanation, and many times will try to keep your money. This often happens when you try to take your money out of your PayPal account.

You will find countless stories of people losing thousands of dollars and also being put out of business and worse by Paypal arbitrarily targeting innocent people.

And do not think you are immune because you have been using them for years and have had no problems yet. Just wait. Sooner or later you will have a problem with them.

Their MO is to freeze your account and then ask you to provide personal information to unfreeze it. It does not matter if you comply. They will keep asking for more and more and many times will still not unlock your account.

At this point all of your most important personal information will be stored on their servers just waiting for a hacker to steal.

Then they will not answer your emails and give you the run around when you ask what do I have to do to fix it. All the while they will have your money, sometimes a lot of money.

If you continue to complain they may close your account and keep your money.

If you doubt what I say just Google it and you will see. There was even a class action suit against them because of this.

Also, watch out if you have your bank account connected to PayPal and keep a lot of money in there.

I will never use PayPal to collect money. Never!!
Absolutely right.
Friend of mine had some issue with them. They asked for tons of documents, and still, kept his account on freeze.
I'm not sure what about his money, but they drove him nuts!

•••
This is the usual case: most potential buyers of your domain actually never think of your domain. They don't think of domains, period, they don't think about yours, they don't know yours is available to buy, they don't know how to go about buying it or what they should pay. There, that sentence describes the overwhelming majority of the potential buyers for your domains. Keep in mind what the buyer of Chocolate (dot com) said: after he bought the domain (for some large undisclosed number), it made the news... and immediately, two large chocolate manufacturers contacted him and offered huge sums to buy the domain from him. - See, even the largest companies get settled into their usual operating mode, with their usual domain and website that they don't even think about, and then one day you come along with your (hopefully premium, helpful) domain, and remind them what's out there.

Basically, you nudge it into their consciousness.

"Basically, you nudge it into their consciousness."

Yeeaaa, that's our mission!!

mission.png

•••
What I'm about to do now, is add links to all aftermarkets that a domain is listed on, from it's landing page.
This will give potential buyers all abailable ways to buy the domain, either directly from me, or through any aftermarket they choose. (Sedo, DNS, Undeveloped, and Flippa)
Plus, maybe I'll add links to the entire portfolio on each aftermarket... Not sure yet...

•••
I have tried afternic for few months, didnt get any inquiries for like 70+ domains. I have got 2 offers on one domain name parked at Flippa, while most of my sales are through Flippa Auctions.

•••
What I'm about to do now, is add links to all aftermarkets that a domain is listed on, from it's landing page.
This will give potential buyers all abailable ways to buy the domain, either directly from me, or through any aftermarket they choose. (Sedo, DNS, Undeveloped, and Flippa)
Plus, maybe I'll add links to the entire portfolio on each aftermarket... Not sure yet...

I was able to add links to Undeveloped, Sedo, and DNS since they have the domain in the URL of the domain's sale page.
I couldn't add Flippa's, since their URL is a random number.
The way my landing pages work, it was impossible, or let's say requires a lot of work.
E.G. http://www.omri.co

•••
I listed my domains at GD. Sedo, Afternic, Flippa and DNS. Parked at DNS, Sedo and Bodis.
No sales at Sedo, Afternic, Flippa, Bodis.
Sales via whois contact. Also thru DNS direct sales page (without parking page), use DNS brokers.

•••
Thanks to everyone whose posted great info, especially about outbound emails. I started doing some about 2 weeks ago for CopywriterService (dot) com, and actually had a reply from an interested buyer; but eventually no sale after I quoted l the price, so I set it up a Sedo . But when I started doing the outbounds, I had no real clue as to whether it might work.

•••
I made/use my own: for example my domain CosmicCalendar.com .
It's responsive as well so it looks good not only on desktops and laptops but also on mobile devices such as iphones and ipads.

Wow! Great landing page design @Bram C. very nice looking.

Are you using WP multisite for these landing pages? Did you design the template yourself or did you hire someone? How did you build AlmightyDomains?

•••

Are you using WP multisite for these landing pages? Did you design the template yourself or did you hire someone? How did you build AlmightyDomains?
I'd like to use it too :) I'm looking for exactly this. Moarrr info :D

•••

Thanks!

The landing pages are in fact static html/css pages, not wordpress. My landing page template is based on the bootstrap framework but I designed it myself.

AlmightyDomains.com however is a WordPress site. I used a theme which I then customized and coded to my likings.

•••
Thanks!

The landing pages are in fact static html/css pages, not wordpress. My landing page template is based on the bootstrap framework but I designed it myself.

AlmightyDomains.com however is a WordPress site. I used a theme which I then customized and coded to my likings.

For 100s of names isn't it a lot of hassle to add them to hosting and configure the HTML/CSS? Imo WP multisite would be faster.

Perhaps you should offer a theme or your design services here. :)

•••
For 100s of names isn't it a lot of hassle to add them to hosting and configure the HTML/CSS? Imo WP multisite would be faster :)

It's a centralized css file since all my landing pages are sharing the same layout. So basically if I make a css adjustment it is shown on all my landing pages at once. Only a few lines of content inside the HTML I need to adjust on a domain per domain basis. I could automate this part if I wanted to (update my html/content from one central point through a script) but since I only need to create a landing page whenever I buy a new domain name and since I only buy a dozen new domains per month it's not that much work at the moment. Only 2-3 minutes per domain, maybe 30 minutes of work per month in total.

But I understand your point. If I would buy 600+ domains in one single day I'd be busy all day creating the landing pages.

Last edited:
•••
I'll probably do something similar in the future. I use basic HTML pages with a contact info on some domains. This works pretty well sometimes.

I've done other landers but sometimes people seemed to be confused. It varies, some want a "song and dance" while others just want a simple way to get in touch. I think it would help to pretty up the pages with css or buy a WP lander theme.

Have you found your landers generate a lot of inquiries and sales @Bram C.?

•••
It's a centralized css file since all my landing pages are sharing the same layout. So basically if I make a css adjustment it is shown on all my landing pages at once. Only a few lines of content inside the HTML I need to adjust on a domain per domain basis. I could automate this part if I wanted to (update my html/content from one central point through a script) but since I only need to create a landing page whenever I buy a new domain name and since I only buy a dozen new domains per month it's not that much work at the moment. Only 2-3 minutes per domain, maybe 30 minutes of work per month in total.

But I understand your point. If I would buy 600+ domains in one single day I'd be busy all day creating the landing pages.

What is the best host for the lowest cost to run each of the landing sites - for a couple of hundred domains??

•••
Have you found your landers generate a lot of inquiries and sales @Bram C.?
I'm selling around 90 domains per year, around 15 of those sales happen directly through my personal landing pages (the other 75 sales happen through 4 marketplaces: Namejet, Godaddy, Afternic and Sedo).

What is the best host for the lowest cost to run each of the landing sites - for a couple of hundred domains??
Not sure what is the best host but if you use static html/css landing pages it doesn't really matter as pages like that use almost zero resources unlike WP which uses a lot more resources. You just need a host with unlimited addon domains and you're all set.

•••
I'm selling around 90 domains per year, around 15 of those sales happen directly through my personal landing pages (the other 75 sales happen through 4 marketplaces: Namejet, Godaddy, Afternic and Sedo).

Not sure what is the best host but if you use static html/css landing pages it doesn't really matter as pages like that use almost zero resources unlike WP which uses a lot more resources. You just need a host with unlimited addon domains and you're all set.

90 domain sales a year - thats excellent! Do you know what percentage are "buy now" and what percentage are negotiated?

OK, I'll check my current host for unlimited addon domains or begin my search for one in case they dont offer such.

Thanks!

•••

Are these hand regs or aftermarket purchases? I should hire you to build my landing page! :)

•••
90 domain sales a year - thats excellent! Do you know what percentage are "buy now" and what percentage are negotiated.
Thanks!
Concerning my landing pages, around 80-90% of those sales happen through BIN, without negotiation. But I don't have a contact form on my landing page, so it was my intention to have it this way.

Are these hand regs or aftermarket purchases? I should hire you to build my landing page! :)
Thanks! My portfolio consists of some hand regs but most of my domains are aftermarket (auction) purchases, expired drops (caught through a dropcatcher) and some end-user purchases as well.

•••
I start using Efty.com. The LP are great. I only use around 12 domain name to test this service

•••
Last year all of my bigger sales except one (Sedo) came through Afternic/Afternic DLS. Decided to try Bodis sales landers for the majority of names this year, will see...

How did sales go with Bodis? Like/dislike?

•••
How did sales go with Bodis? Like/dislike?

Not that great. After a while, I pretty much stopped using them and went with new Uniregistry sales landers which IMO are more professional looking. And you can't format your domain as you please with Bodis which I don't like.

•••
Not that great. After a while, I pretty much stopped using them and went with new Uniregistry sales landers which IMO are more professional looking. And you can't format your domain as you please with Bodis which I don't like.

Interesting. Solely re sales did you make any during your time with Bodis? Uni? Or is your opinion solely based on how it looks and the lack of customization?

•••
Thanks for the replies. I hear a lot of people talk about 'landing pages'. Can you show an example of what a typical landing page should look like? Also, how much is involved in creating them?
I can build you a landing page for £50 or £5.00 per month you will get google analytics report and marketing all inclusive of this.Visit www dot ukwebsitedesigners dot co do uk

•••
Here are my sales stats for the past 5 years (where I've sold domains by %):

GoDaddy Premium: 60%
Direct: 15%
Sedo: 10%
GoDaddy Auctions: 9%
Afternic: 4%
BrandBucket: 1%
GoDaddy Domain Name Svcs: 1%

I sell 15-20 names per year on average. My portfolio was as large as 1,000 domains and now sits around 1/2 that (because I've learned how to identify the crap that doesn't sell). I currently sell about 3% of my portfolio annually. Primarily brandables and all dot coms.

Based on direct being the 2nd largest - I'm going to try to increase it by testing out some for sale landing pages. I've mostly had them listed with GoDaddy via whatever page they show when listed with GoDaddy Premium and more recently via the Afternic parking page.

I'm currently planning to test:
Bodis
Uniregistry/DNS
Undeveloped
Tough Domains

If Undeveloped and/or ToughDomains show any life, I'll swap to Efty (I see no point to pay a monthly/annual fee to start). Until for sale landers show life, I'll just go with the free ones or ones who take 9-10% commission. Of course if this idea works, one would be better off with someone like Efty rather than giving up a %. Too bad Efty doesn't allow a base program where one can pay $0 and give up some commission to test. Some others (like Tough Domains do that).

Last edited:
•••
Here are my sales stats for the past 5 years (where I've sold domains by %):

Would you share the average sales price? (Or I'm too curious ... :xf.rolleyes:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back