Dynadot

advice When The Registrar Dies and You Can't Renew Your Domain Before The Expiry Date

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CarpeDiem

Established Member
Impact
Here's the situation...

Several years ago, I acquired a domain name separate from my main registrar. It was a small registrar, not very well known, but annual renewals were not a problem. I didn't have immediate plans for the domain, so I just renewed it once a year, and forgot about it the rest of the year.

I could have transferred it to my main registrar, but never did.

Now I try to renew the domain, and the credit card isn't accepted. (It is accepted everywhere else. There is no credit card issue.)

I contact the registrar's support, but there is no response. I Google the registrar and find out others have recently had the same no-response problem.

Fortunately, I can still login to the registrar, and find the domain control panel is still working. Great.

So I get the auth code to transfer to my main registrar, but the main registrar doesn't accept the transfer, because I never received the confirmation email.

I look up the email address for my domain in the whois record. The domain has an anti-spam privacy setting; the registrar uses a separate domain name for the spam-blocking email address. I find out that domain name has expired.

I contact the registrar and ask them to renew that whois privacy email address, but there is no response.

To make the situation even more complicated, there is that new 60-day domain lock rule, so I doubt I can even complete the transfer in time even if I can change the whois record (removing whois privacy) to my current email address. The domain expires in January.

It looks as if I can't transfer the domain nor renew it.

Any advice?

What do you do when the registrar fails?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting issue - and hope you get it sorted!

trying to directly contact ICANN or NIC/registry?

•••
I filed a complaint with ICANN (official complaint form), but no reply yet. Their page confirmed it was sent, but there was no receipt confirmation by email (with a ticket number or anything like that).

•••
Back