IT.COM

Registrar asks to renew sold name.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
I've just had a renewal notice from my old registrar, and he is asking me to renew a name that I sold over a week ago. I checked the whois, and it's been transferred to the new registrar with updated details. This is one of the reasons that I won't allow for automatic renewals. I no longer have control of the name, and it should have been removed from my account, but it's still listed as me being the owner with the old registrar.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some registrars suffer from selective amnesia they tend to conveniently be absent minded with domains that have been transferred out yet are very quick to request for payment for a domain that is not even in their possession.

"Dear XXXXX,
We will be initiating the renewal for your "xxxxxxxxx" domain
on 6/27/2017.
Please be sure to check the status of the domain renewal by visiting
Domain Central after 7/12/2017 "

The Domain is not even in their account, its been transferred out which they authorized.
Crazy Really,

Last edited:
•••
This is quite common, happens at multiple registrars - send a ticket to remove the Ghost Record

Who is the losing (old) registrar?

Here's the template I use (and yes it happens to me that often)

>>>>>
Subject: domains transferred out - still showing in control panel

Please remove the following domain from my abcxyz account
it was transferred to another registrar but is still showing in my control panel.

********.com

Thanks and have a super day : smile :
<<<<<

•••
This is quite common, happens at multiple registrars - send a ticket to remove the Ghost Record

Who is the losing (old) registrar?

Here's the template I use (and yes it happens to me that often)

>>>>>
Subject: domains transferred out - still showing in control panel

Please remove the following domain from my abcxyz account
it was transferred to another registrar but is still showing in my control panel.

********.com

Thanks and have a super day : smile :
<<<<<
Thank you for the template :)

•••
OLN - and I'm gradually moving away from them.

I'm finding my way around with Name Silo, and so far, I'm impressed with the service and the facilities ( the price is good as well)

•••
Something similar happened to me about three weeks ago. I sold a domain that I had at my registrar Namecheap. The transfer went through smoothly and whois showed the domain was now at the new registrar and it showed the buyer's registrant details. So the deal was finished and domain entirely in their new registrar.

A couple days later I was in my Namecheap account... and noticed my 'sold and transferred' domain was still there in my account! I did another whois and yes, the whois still showed the new registrar and registrant... so why was I seeing the domain still in my account, and able to access that domain's settings page, etc? I opened a chat with Namecheap, who looked at my account. They saw the domain was still in my account; and they said it was 'apparently a ghost record'.

Whatever that means. I guess it means that some glitch allowed the domain to be transferred out but for it also to not be auto-removed from my account. I imagine that it would have stayed there until renewal time if I hadn't noticed, and maybe the 'ghost record' would have auto-renewed in my account, even though I no longer owned the domain. Maybe that's what happened with your domain? A glitch that led to a lingering 'ghost record'?

Namecheap's always been great for me, so no worries. This is the first glitch in my entire history with them. They manually removed the ghost from my account and all is once again good in the world.

Hey, somebody go register Ghostrecord.com :)

Last edited:
•••
The problem with ghost listings is that they can conceal a ghost sale if the registrar sells your name without you being aware of it.

•••
Something similar happened to me about three weeks ago. I sold a domain that I had at my registrar Namecheap. The transfer went through smoothly and whois showed the domain was now at the new registrar and it showed the buyer's registrant details. So the deal was finished and domain entirely in their new registrar.

A couple days later I was in my Namecheap account... and noticed my 'sold and transferred' domain was still there in my account! I did another whois and yes, the whois still showed the new registrar and registrant... so why was I seeing the domain still in my account, and able to access that domain's settings page, etc? I opened a chat with Namecheap, who looked at my account. They saw the domain was still in my account; and they said it was 'apparently a ghost listing'.

Whatever that means. I guess it means that some glitch allowed the domain to be transferred out but for it also to not be auto-removed from my account. I imagine that it would have stayed there until renewal time if I hadn't noticed, and maybe the 'ghost listing' would have auto-renewed in my account, even though I no longer owned the domain. Maybe that's what happened with your domain? A glitch that led to a lingering 'ghost listing'?

Namecheap's always been great for me, so no worries. This is the first glitch in my entire history with them. They manually removed the ghost listing from my account and all is once again good in the world.

Hey, somebody go register GhostListing.com :)

This Ghostlisting can be worring ,imagine if someone steals your domain and you still see a Ghostlisting in your account .

Oh and I am on my ghostly way to register lol :)

Last edited:
•••
It's a very common bug with registrars. Just send them a mail. It will be removed

•••
Just discovered another old Ghost Record while doing transfers yesterday, at least at domfam they take care of it within minutes by ticket or chat

What is curious is it has happened repeatedly at a few major registrars - name.com, domfam - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster, NameCheap, and I don't think I have ever experienced it at GoDaddy or nSilo.

The way they manage their database must be why some are better than others at avoiding the Ghost Records, this is old 2008 article yet I imagine info is still valid.
http://www.domaininvesting.com/hidden-issue-of-ghost-records-at-domain-registrars/

•••
I had this happened to me before too. Just contact support and they will refund money. If not then contact your cc company. Easy peasy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back