Dynadot

question What's wrong with .UK domain extension?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Please someone explain to me why so many domains are available to register with the dot UK (.UK) extension?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Only someone from UK can register .uk domain name.

•••
People who have acquired the .co.uk extension within a specifically prescribed time period going back a few years have automatic rights of first refusal to the duplicate domain in the .uk category. The restriction though is set to expire in the future, giving it a free-for-all chance at registration. So, the .uk domains currently reserved to the .co.uk owners, will be subject to open market.

Last edited:
•••
that plus only someone who has registered .co.uk first has rights to own .uk

if I owned a .co.uk what's the point in owning the .uk version? kinda a moot point yes? plus just extra renewals for something you technically own anyways.

fyi : I think there is a time limit though for when thee owner of the .co.uk can "lock" the .uk so if the .co.uk owner doesn't do it soon eventually the .uk is free to reg by anyone? can someone confirm this?

•••
Yes it is suprising that if I wanted a premium domain name for my site (providing it's within the TM law) I could have a great short domain name and enjoy the google searches that the highly prized name offers?
Obviously there will be much competition, but even that can be overcome in time.

•••
How exactly is this 'industry news'?

•••
•••
what do you mean? Clarify please.....

•••
•••
Exactly what do you mean? Clarify please.....

What part are you having a hard time with? THIS thread is NOT posted in the correct section. It is NOT Industry News.

•••
•••
What part are you having a hard time with? THIS thread is NOT posted in the correct section. It is NOT Industry News.
as much as I'd Love to disagree. I can't disagree as after checking which discussion this was posted. it is technically in the wrong thread. I could be wrong though. sorry. but that's all I'll say about it.

News worthy threads don't usually start with a question.

•••
that plus only someone who has registered .co.uk first has rights to own .uk

if I owned a .co.uk what's the point in owning the .uk version? kinda a moot point yes? plus just extra renewals for something you technically own anyways.

fyi : I think there is a time limit though for when thee owner of the .co.uk can "lock" the .uk so if the .co.uk owner doesn't do it soon eventually the .uk is free to reg by anyone? can someone confirm this?

I own a few. Co.uk domains ąnd a few I have owned before the date needed and so had the entitlement to the. uk and some I registěred after that date and as such don't have that entitlement to certain. uk domains - and I know this because I have the. Co. uk of one domain but only bought it 2 years ago and the. UK of that domain has since been bought by someone else

•••
I own a few. Co.uk domains ąnd a few I have owned before the date needed and so had the entitlement to the. uk and some I registěred after that date and as such don't have that entitlement to certain. uk domains - and I know this because I have the. Co. uk of one domain but only bought it 2 years ago and the. UK of that domain has since been bought by someone else

so....you missed the deadline to grab the .uk then? that sucks. but I think the .co.uk is still "King" and most familiar with the Brits.

•••
so....you missed the deadline to grab the .uk then? that sucks. but I think the .co.uk is still "King" and most familiar with the Brits.

. Co. uk is preferred which is why I chose it and at the time I never bothered with the. uk but it was available for me to buy but I chose not to now I can't lol

And as mentioned this thread has been mentioned before etc

Back in about 2000 ish message boards had to keep on topic and in the right thread etc but a wonderful thing is now the norm I think they call it er a search engine which allows people to be random and type what they like when they want etc and when people type a subject eg like domain names in social media search engine all posts related to that topic appear

Probably why Twitter has 300 ish users and Facebook only about 1.8 billion people on the same website etc
(allegedly)

•••
We objected to nominet launching .uk - wasn't any real demand for it and things had worked well with .co.uk, .org.uk and .me.uk - seemed like a bit of a moneymaker for nominet and the registrars who backed it - but it's been launched now so we've got to live with it. It's starting to get a little bit of notice. Whether it takes over from .co.uk as the pre-eminent uk extension remains to be seen. But there have been a few decent sales i.e. AirportParking recently.

Nominet did stipulate that you needed a uk address to register a .uk - think this was just part of their weaselly reasons for getting it launched. They now accept overseas customers using a uk 'service address' and I think some registrars are now offering this service. .co.uk domains registered prior to 10th June 2014 will generally have the rights to the new .uk (which has to be taken up within 5 years) so there will be a lot of drops, confusion, and a lot of unhappy .co.uk holders (who might lose the .uk) in June 2019. For new registrations, since 10th June 2014 you get the chance to register either or both the .co.uk or .uk if it is available. That's why you might see a .uk free where a .co.uk has been taken or vice versa. Best visit nominet.uk if you want more information and to read up on the full terms and conditions of the new .uk

•••
possibly due to Brexit lol.

•••
I think a large number of registrars mistakenly show a .uk as available when it is actually reserved for the .co.uk holder. I've seen this a number of times. If you're not sure visit nominet.uk whois and type the .uk domain in there.

•••
Yes it is suprising that if I wanted a premium domain name for my site (providing it's within the TM law) I could have a great short domain name and enjoy the google searches that the highly prized name offers?
Obviously there will be much competition, but even that can be overcome in time.
Have you considered .is? We are not the cheapest, but very secure indeed. https://www.isnic.is/en/

•••
Please someone explain to me why so many domains are available to register with the dot UK (.UK) extension?

They are not avaliable they are reserved even when the domains are released on the open market if the owner has not registered the .UK there will be a fleet of drop catchers that will scoop them all up i know ill be ready when and if it happens :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back