IT.COM

What's going on with Epik and Rob Monster?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
I'm catching the tail end of this, seems to be some kind of controversy...

https://domaingang.com/domain-news/rob-monster-off-twitter-after-christchurch-massacre-controversy/

Must be something odd to evoke this type of a response from one of our members.

Picture0016.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Well if controversy sells then Rob just filled the stadium :xf.eek:

I would call this a Trumpism or something that deserves some covfefe :nailbiting:

Sometimes silence is golden and there is no winner when one uses a business platform to discuss these type of heinous events.

•••
Wow, whenever an act of violence is carried out somewhere in the world, I pray to god it is not linked to my religion, Islam.

If it is carried out by some lunatic, in the name of Islam , I immediately start speaking against it.

I do not go out there questioning it happened, because it would be disrespectful to the victims, & the suffering it causes.

Good to see others on here are against such behavior.

•••
If past performance of other "defenders of free speech" can be a guide, I expect a profuse apology, a promise to be better and yet some whining how he is a victim in all this. People will forgive him, most will forget and everything will go back to normal.... well, until next time.

•••
According to the comment on that page:

[Rob Monster’s] tweet with the live link to the video is still cached on Google search results. Here is that tweet, judge for yourself:

“And while you are at it, here is the shooter’s video, also now on IPFS and also accessible through any IPFS gateway:

[LINK REDACTED]

While I definitely do not condone violence, maybe discerning eyes will decipher the use of symbols and runes.”

:facepalm::xf.eek:(n)

Last edited:
•••
https://twitter.com/lukeobrien/status/1107051955170537473

Epik CEO robmonster is the domain registrar for Gab, a social media platform crawling with Nazis. He also provides DDoS protection for the Daily Stormer. Monster is now disseminating the NZ shooter's white nationalist manifesto and trying to sell domain names off it. Classy!

Last edited:
•••
If past performance of other "defenders of free speech" can be a guide, I expect a profuse apology, a promise to be better and yet some whining how he is a victim in all this. People will forgive him, most will forget and everything will go back to normal.... well, until next time.

No one cares about apologies, well may be some do. I don't though, you know what I care about?

I care about ending extremism, wherever it may come from. What the hell is wrong with some people?!?!?

One way to do it, is to speak against it, every decent human being should do so.

Extremism is not just being violent, the most dangerous are "thoughts" extreme thoughts that lead to violence.

Be smart, think straight & listen.

Do not be an extremist, be normal.

@NYJimbo I don't mean YOU, lol.

Last edited:
•••
I just found out about Shane's post he made yesterday, today. Joseph Peterson, Epik’s Director of Operations just responded about all of this:

https://dsad.com/domain-shanes-daily-list-of-domains-at-auction-for-monday-march-18th-2019/

Many questions/comments here after reading this now.

Shane is calling for domainers to pull out of Epik.
Will Rob/Epik sue Shane/DSAD for slander?
Will domainers actually pull out of Epik?
Many domainers say Epik is the best out there and cannot be matched.
Braden Pollock is one of the highest profile and most respected domainers out there and sits on Epik's board.
Shane is calling for Braden to pull out.
Does this even move the needle for Braden at all?
If so it puts him in a terrible position.
Should Braden try to buy Epik?
Mike Cyger is very highly respected by all new domainers.
Mike Cyger is fully endorsing Shanes comments.
Mike Cyger says "Rob Monster promotes those who hate"
Joseph Peterson Director of Operations at Epik says he doesn't agree w/Rob on everything.
Joseph Peterson says Rob is definitely not a White Supremacist.
Looks like Rob Monster deleted his Twitter account now.

So many different ways this can go in this very small Industry.

Irony here is, this is all about hate and discrimination and it seems to only be creating more hate and discrimination.
Sad.

Last edited:
•••
Why would anyone give him the time of day? Run a mile! Bad news!

•••
If all of this is true, then Rob/Epik is putting his clients in a dangerous position.

At some point, maybe without warning, Epik could be shut down by ICANN, could be de-platformed from social media, could have their servers disconnected from their upstream provider, could have payment gateways shutdown, etc.

This could leave clients at risk of different kinds of issues from unable to move domains to paying for renewals.

Rob needs to address this here on Namepros and be willing to take questions publicly here to clarify what is going on and what to expect from him in the future.

•••
Will Rob/Epik sue Shane/DSAD for slander?

Truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.

Plus, clearly someone as pro "free speech" as Rob should not have an issue with it. People can express their opinions and others can take their business elsewhere if they choose.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Question.

Can you "hate" someone for their views, talk negatively about someone for their views, and still claim to be tolerant?

Last edited:
•••
Monster is now disseminating the NZ shooter's white nationalist manifesto and trying to sell domain names off it.
He should also be joining any forums full of anti-Christians or maybe something like jihadist sympathizers, and advertise tools for them to disseminate their ideology as effectively as possible. "Here is that anti-Christian murderer's writings. I thought I would go out of my way to immortalize them for you all, as I simply can't stand seeing free speech die. Don't forget to stop by my registrar to pick up a domain. I love doing business with you people!"
If there is a radical Muslim or atheist terrorizing a church, he can casually tweet the video. "Here is a first-person view of my Christian brothers and sisters, men women and children, being shot in the heads. Enjoy. See if you can decipher symbols or determine if this video is a low-quality CGI. As thhis is all a fun conspiracy game. Everybody try it!"

Last edited:
•••
He should also be joining any forums full of anti-Christians or maybe something like jihadist sympathizers, and advertise tools for them to disseminate their ideology as effectively as possible. "Here is that anti-Christian murderer's writings. I thought I would go out of my way to immortalize them for you all, as I simply can't stand seeing free speech die. Don't forget to stop by my registrar to pick up a domain. I love doing business with you people!"
If there is a radical Muslim or atheist terrorizing a church, he can casually tweet the video. "Here is a first-person view of my Christian brothers and sisters, men women and children, being shot in the heads. Enjoy. See if you can decipher symbols or determine if this video is a low-quality CGI. As thhis is all a fun conspiracy game. Everybody try it!"

Spot on sarcasm!

•••
I don’t have to like or approve of the opinions of people I do business with or the opinions of people I don’t. One has zero to do with the other and does not impact my life, business or my opinions.

I see things that offend, irritate, annoy or I disagree with all day every day on social media from strangers and people in the business alike. Social media is basically one big verbal fight about one thing or another.

My first thought when domainers start attacking and piling on a ceo of a registrar for his opinions ( however contrary to one’s own opinions they might be)is
to question the motives of the domainers (most who are in bed with Escrow and GoDaddy who are Epik competitors.)

If you don’t like what he said enough to start a take down Epik campaign there might just be an agenda. Normal people would block him, move their names, etc but not try to “take someone out”.

It’s getting to that point where you can’t state your real opinions out there for fear of retaliation. I personally do not discuss politics religion or anything controversial on the internet.

What you write post etc is pretty much forever.

Should people be allowed to take their outrage and not do business with Epik?
Sure. But put the stones down.

To orchestrate and encourage a takedown of a competitor of companies you have affiliations with just looks— well smarmy —and not based on your convictions.

For the record I do not condone the post but as Evelyn Beatrice Hall said in better words

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

•••
Rob is a monster and a monster will Rob you

•••
I don’t have to like or approve of the opinions of people I do business with or the opinions of people I don’t. One has zero to do with the other and does not impact my life, business or my opinions.

I see things that offend, irritate, annoy or I disagree with all day every day on social media from strangers and people in the business alike. Social media is basically one big verbal fight about one thing or another.

My first thought when domainers start attacking and piling on a ceo of a registrar for his opinions ( however contrary to one’s own opinions they might be)is
to question the motives of the domainers (most who are in bed with Escrow and GoDaddy who are Epik competitors.)

If you don’t like what he said enough to start a take down Epik campaign there might just be an agenda. Normal people would block him, move their names, etc but not try to “take someone out”.

It’s getting to that point where you can’t state your real opinions out there for fear of retaliation. I personally do not discuss politics religion or anything controversial on the internet.

What you write post etc is pretty much forever.

Should people be allowed to take their outrage and not do business with Epik?
Sure. But put the stones down.

To orchestrate and encourage a takedown of a competitor of companies you have affiliations with just looks— well smarmy —and not based on your convictions.

For the record I do not condone the post but as Evelyn Beatrice Hall said in better words

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
My thoughts exactly. Perhaps with the addendum that I couldn't care less what Rob Monster, or anyone else for that matter, said on Twitter or elsewhere about some video or other of an event he has not been party to, or witness of. This has been blown way out of proportion and, same as @karmaco, I can't help but suspect ulterior motives on the part of his detractors.

To clarify: "way out of proportion" to what Rob said, posted, not to the horrible event itself. Whatever Rob did pales in significance relative to what happened in Christchurch.

Rob is a controversial figure, that's pretty much established fact. I applaud some of his views and antics and agree to disagree with him on others. Maybe less vocally, but possibly even more vehemantly than others here. But to me, strong opposing views, lively, even heated arguments are fun, not cause to ostracize, shun, banish your intellectual opponents. Life would be so boring without Rob Monster and others. Except those taking to the streets with automatic rifles, of course! Those taking their frustration with life out on innocent people should be liquidated with extreme prejudice no matter their convictions, sorry life stories or provocation...

Unfortunately there is more to come. Others of great concern are government types, who are already very hard at work, conniving, using this incident to quickly push through their own agendas. To better position themselves "thanks" to this horrible event... okay, never mind, getting too far off topic here.

Last edited:
•••
Not sure what everyone is talking about. It looks like people are blaming RM for being white-christian extremist and being against muslims. I don't have such a feeling. Trump is blamed for similar things as well, but they are not credible. He decides to "attack" Syria with 100+ cruise missiles which could end civilisation easily, but noone dies because of those attacks.

There are many false-flag killings. It happens less often now. It happened more when deepstate was in control. 911 was real, towers collapsed, but not because of planes or arabs. I hate binladen but he doesn't have such power and technology.

Can't say anything about NZ shootings now. We need to look at who is behind those attacks and what their agenda is. You don't need to be defensive just because you are christian, or blame anyone who says this is a hoax for being racist, just because you are against killings.

Last edited:
•••
Wow, whenever an act of violence is carried out somewhere in the world, I pray to god it is not linked to my religion, Islam.

If it is carried out by some lunatic, in the name of Islam , I immediately start speaking against it.

I do not go out there questioning it happened, because it would be disrespectful to the victims, & the suffering it causes.

Good to see others on here are against such behavior.

If it was done by any of Muslim believe me people have taken down the twitter & other media outlet termed all of us terrorist.

@Rob Monster has some intention while sharing this, what you wanted to spread this type of hate against Muslim?

For me Epik is no more.

*I am a Muslim & I am proud of being Muslim

•••
Not sure what everyone is talking about. It looks like people are blaming RM for being white-christian extremist and being against muslims. I don't have such a feeling. Trump is blamed for similar things as well, but they are not credible. He decides to "attack" Syria with 100+ cruise missiles which could end civilisation easily, but noone dies because of those attacks.

There are many false-flag killings. It happens less often now. It happened more when deepstate was in control. 911 was real, towers collapsed, but not because of planes or arabs. I hate binladen but he doesn't have such power and technology.

Can't say anything about NZ shootings now. We need to look at who is behind those attacks and what their agenda is. You don't need to be defensive just because you are christian, or blame anyone who says this is a hoax for being racist, just because you are against killings.
Spoken like a true far-right conspiracy Alex Jones fan. Ignored.

Anyway, where's Rob ?

Last edited:
•••
Question.

Can you "hate" someone for their views, talk negatively about someone for their views, and still claim to be tolerant?
If that someone supports and protects neo-Nazis, then yes.

•••
Back