Dynadot

What will be the biggest flop in '08?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
By the way, this IS an "official" thread - in case you were wondering :hehe: .

My guesses for biggest flops:

dictionary words with no commercial connection

.us

.tv

"brandable" nonsense words

LLLLs in anything but .com

all but the 4-5 biggest silent auctions (or was that '07?)

.biz (or was that '06?)

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So from the looks of this thread, damn near everything
is going to flop in 08' D-:

Domainers beware :hehe:

•••
me thinks the biggest flop will be.....

.flop

•••
purina.mobi is probably one of the dumbest sites I've ever seen..........retarded.

•••
goodkarmaco said:
Mobi or.tv cannot even come close to the flop parking is going to end up being.

All the money spent on all the .mobi and the .tv combined is a drop in the bucket to the money domainers are losing with the down slide of parking revenues.

The title of this thread is not which domain extension do you dislike. It is what will be the biggest flop of 2008?

Parking names is a billion dollar industry folks, to my knowledge that money is shrinking. Big bombshells have dropped on certain parking companies and domainers are getting hit in the middle of this. This is a much bigger loss than .mobi or .tv could ever be.

Am I right or am I wrong?.
Right. And if your wondering where the money is going, Google just gave a "great" quarter earnings report. Something smells.

•••
.TRAVEL will crash and burn.
.ASIA will need euthanasia.
LLLL.NET will be going nowhere.
Bad LLLLL.COM are a waste of reg fee.

Staying with .COM and .ME (coming soon!)

•••
The biggest flop is the U.S. dollar

Their stock just jumped the most ever in one day, to over $535. a share!. Now they have the money to pay whatever Yahoo wants.

Btw, the dollars fall is not over folks. We ain't seen nothing yet. The Fed is papering Wall St with bailout money. They are not allowing the losses to occur in a free market way and the news of the Wall St rallies will lull investors, like sheep to slaughter.

All this bailout money is going to bring the biggest inflation we have ever seen. The printing of money and papering the world with it is now in full circle.

The biggest evidence doom is only months away is China, which holds our securities, bad paper, spin off investments from our sub prime real estate fisaco is waking up to what they really own.. useless paper. They are now dumping our dollars.

This dumping of American dollars and flight to other currencies will have a huge impact as the U.S. will free fall.

When it seems the idiot (Fed chairman Bernenke) has outdone himself he tries something else. Does it matter if it makes sense? Not anymore. Witness the progression toward the dollars demise by the constant interest rate reductions. They (the Fed) have full intentions of destroying the American currency. They will place the final nail in the coffin by lowering interest rates to about 2.5%, which means if you have good credit you can borrow at around 3.5 to 4.5 % Most will ponder why bother keeping the savings in the bank at those low interest rates and this will drag the dollar down too.

This economic downturn is worldwide and will be more devastating than the great depression of 1929. Many countries of the world that have never had food riots are having them now. Food shortages and huge price increases are the first signs of the end result of governments creating boat loads of fiat money.

The actors are falling over themselves looking for ways to keep the American economy from total collapse and if that takes destroying the dollars value, so be it. They have been and are trying in vain to keep it together until the nations leader walks out the white house door. Whoever it is that he hands the keys to will inherit mayhem.

The 100 billion to bail out Bearn Stearns and the 150 billion to "give" to all taxpayers is inflationary in of itself. Add to this the trillions that will be paid to keep those who have arms coming due shortly is a nail in the coffin for higher prices coming near your neighborhood soon!

If you have the money pay out your registration renewals if you can. To pay $7.00 or $8.00 bucks is cheap right now. When inflation lifts its ugly head those renewals will be tough to pay. You are not being told this by the media but we in the United States are seeing 10% inflation right now.

•••
^^^ this is one of the few times that i actually tend to agree with you.
Even though i don't see the picture of American economy just as dark as you, the signs of progressive inflation (ironic pick of words) are undeniable.
Before you know it, your salary of today won't be worth as much when you look at ever increasing prices around you. It's a shame to stand by and watch what one person can lead a country to. No one else but us who are to blame for that, as we handed out a "carte blanche".
Anyways, back to the topic:
Biggest DOMAIN flop in '08?

I'll stick with it:
- .eu
- .asia
- .mobi
- .insert your choice of ccTLD of which we have too many of (except .de/.co.uk/and few selected others)
- .most (if not all) parking companies (which is an entirely different topic for its own thread)
- .yahoo takeover wrestling match
- .us as long as it's in the incompetent hands of Neustar - which has me almost furious.

The above is not in any particular order of floppi'sm, yet any of them is equally sad to see failing. :(

M.

•••
DotSauce said:
.TRAVEL will crash and burn.
.ASIA will need euthanasia.
LLLL.NET will be going nowhere.
Bad LLLLL.COM are a waste of reg fee.

Staying with .COM and .ME (coming soon!)

.Travel - probably
.Asia - hehe agreed, never know though
LLLL.net - premiums, prounounceables are going places
Bad LLLLL.com - Yea bad ones are pretty much a waste.. however, nice ones that are actually pronounceable and brandable have potential IMO..
.ME - :zzz:

goodkarmaco said:
Btw, the dollars fall is not over folks. We ain't seen nothing yet. The Fed is papering Wall St with bailout money. They are not allowing the losses to occur in a free market way and the news of the Wall St rallies will lull investors, like sheep to slaughter.

All this bailout money is going to bring the biggest inflation we have ever seen. The printing of money and papering the world with it is now in full circle....

Why oh why did we let an idiot into office?? :'(

Last edited:
•••
.flop haha seriously though, probably .asia

•••
.travel I never had nay hope on it.. it is not friendly, it is not wide in its application and heck it can't even be hacked in to something catchy..
.asia has potential if domainers become smart and don't treat it like any other TLD.. it has a lot of inherent value for end users to brand themselves... you are talking about a region here.. and if you get domains that relate to a region it will be successful.. for instance hotwallpapers.asia is a good domain.. but freewallpapers might not be... because the first one talks about hot asians.. the second one is too generic

.net doesn't have a lot of resale value.. but those pesky makemoneyonline bloggers will register a lot of nonsense .net's ..so if you are a domain reseller or registrar it's something you can keep an eye on...

my two cents.. or make that three.. inflation is everywhere...

•••
LLLL.coms should be fine. A company can use it for a short domain name. 4 letters are also used for stock symbols which might help prices.

Flops? Anything that's not a .com has a big disadvantage but some others will have some value. .tv if you're selling something on TV should be ok, .org is good for organizations, non-profits. A great generic of other extentions are fine. But the best by far is a .com.

However, some people think their .com is good because it has searchable words in the domain. I think people will realize that if its not a nice sounding web site its not good. People will look at their portfolio of .com's and say 'what was I thinking?' So some .com flops will be ones that will never be a web site, like an ugly duckling that can't make it to the big time.

•••
My guess for the biggest flop in 2008 is...
.asia

It will survive in its own area, for big business,
and even domainers, and investors...
IF you have the great 1000 keyword domains.

But as soon as .me comes out...
WATCH OUT, that will take the focus off of .asia
immediately.

Just my 4 cents!
Red Rock!

•••
Mike said:
- .us as long as it's in the incompetent hands of Neustar - which has me almost furious.

Hi Mike, could you tell me briefly what the problem is with Neustar and .us?
I like .ca and was warming up to .us, wasn't aware of any issues that would hold it back.

I think the big flops for 08 won't be a specific TLD but all the low value bad keyword domains that don't match the TLD in concept. Domains that are probably worth a bit as coms that are worthless on obscure TLDs but automatically get bought up every time a new extension is launched.

On the flipside I think TLDs like .asia and even .me and .info have value for the right niches and shouldn't be discounted across the board.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back