Dynadot

What transfer fees apply to a name you just sold?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi all
It says at Godaddy there's a charge for transferring a domain name that's registered there. Yet I see people here sell their names for 5 dollars or less, or sell groups of names for less than the transfer fees. How does that work? Because it makes more sense to just let the registration lapse than to sell a name for less than even the transfer fee.
I have a few names in the auction section right now, so I'd really like to hear your answers in case I sell them. Does the term 'push' mean the same as transfer?
Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A "push" is a transfer from one account at registrar (in this case GoDaddy) to another account at same registrar. Usually no cost for this type of transfer.
If you are transferring between registrars i.e. from a GoDaddy to DomainSite then there is a minimum 1 year registration fee involved.

cera

•••
Thanks for the explaination, cera.

•••
Basically when you transfer a domain it's because you hate the registrar or you just want to have all your domains in a certain place. Don't forget when you transfer you get a year added on to your domain registration.

•••
yes when we sell the domain here

we put the registrar there and people who have an account there will bid and if they win they give their account number and the owner just make a free push ....

pushing a domain is same as donating np$ here to someone else for free :)

different companies have different transfer rates :) most of them is like reg. fee and when you make a transfer it adds a year

•••
kjmz said:
Don't forget when you transfer you get a year added on to your domain registration.

Not always. Let's not forget about the situations when domain is expiring in 9+ years. THEN the additional year isn't added, because domain's expiration date can't be in more than 10 years.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back