Dynadot

discuss What to do right after acquiring a domain name.

NameSilo
Watch

Windoms

Top Member
Impact
Video tweet from @Rick Schwartz . Lasts 2 minutes.
https://twitter.com/domainking/status/1129346125448798208
Found that tweet randomly today after searching ''Uniregistry lander google analytics'' on Google.

He says that setting up a domain for sale lander after acquiring a domain name is a bad idea, you have to set up a PPC lander and leave it there for a few weeks to learn about the domain, see how many visitors you get, and see if they are worth 1 cent a piece, or 20 dollars a piece.

I never listen/follow the guy but I found that idea very interesting.

What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's bad advice, I disagree with a PPC lander, I did that in my early years. Now it's a Make Offer lander via Efty, you get more sales. He mentioned being able to see type in traffic with a PPC lander, well you can get those stats with a Make Offer/Buy Now page as well. I use Google Analytics and can get that info.

With PPC lander pages, some people are just confused when they get to the page, even if you have a banner or link to buy or make an offer. Seeing a This Domain For Sale with a form, is more to the point, less confusion, which results in more offers and then more sales. I did the PPC lander for many years, now it's the other way.

Think of somebody getting to your page and seeing:

A page full of ads, with a link somewhere to buy/make offer

This Domain For Sale/form

Last edited:
•••
Video tweet from @Rick Schwartz . Lasts 2 minutes.
https://twitter.com/domainking/status/1129346125448798208

He says that setting up a domain for sale lander after acquiring a domain name

What do you think?

I never parked any until I read that back when posted that. I discovered a few that made their reg fee back in a few clicks. What I experienced though is, you receive those clicks for a few days and then zero income say after a week or so. I am puzzled what variable causes this reduction as do not believe were google indexed, as these are dropped domains, the backlinks didnt suddenly evaporate, seems strange.

Last edited:
•••
you have to set up a PPC lander and leave it there for a few weeks to learn about the domain, see how many visitors you get, and see if they are worth 1 cent a piece, or 20 dollars a piece.

that has been my procedure, since day 1

if you don't know how much a domain can earn in ppc,
then you may leave money on the table

imo...

•••
I think it could always be interesting to leave it there for 2 weeks to see how things go.

Think of somebody getting to your page and seeing:

A page full of ads, with a link somewhere to buy/make offer

This Domain For Sale/form
You mean like
Black.com - Form
White.com - Ads
Both are Uniregistry.

He mentioned Uniregistry PPC landers first. I find they are clean which is odd for PPC landers. Sedo/afternic are awful.

•••
I used to always go to PPC first but no more. There are other ways to see where the traffic is coming from as well as other methods of determining value.

The first thing I do is build a lander with a 'make an offer' link in case someone is waiting...

•••
For people with lots of domains, it's easier to just change the DNS to something like Uniregistry or Bodis and see how much traffic you're getting to the domain. Sometimes the traffic is good and produces a decent return. I had a few I thought wouldn't get any traffic but turns out they receive $6-$10 a day in clicks so I just leave it there.

If anyone is really interested in any domain, I'm sure they will see through the Ads and inquire about it. Besides, who wants those casual buyers anyways??? Casual buyers always want to pay $9.99 for the domain..

•••
I don't get why that is abby better than a for sale lander, you can see traffic from that too. I could see not BINing it until you have traffic results to help prove it and have it just make offer.

I did that with one because I wasn't sure how to BIN it yet, within a couple of days got a 5k offer, I had just decided that 4k probably would be good but fortunately I didnt change it over to a BIN lander yet so I accepted. Unfortunately buyer still never followed though. Not sure what the point is of making a non serious offer like that but anyway, had that buyer been serious I could have left money on the table, you never know who's been watching a domain ready to buy as soon as they see it's for sale. Or how much they are willing to pay for that matter.

•••
His advice has a merit.

a) learning the traffic is not the same as learning how much that traffic can generate.

b) he doesn't tell you to do it instead of make offer/bin page. He says just do it for a month or two.

Maybe, your name is generating $10+/year on autopilot. And now you will increase its bin, as you know the name is not liability. For someone having 5000 domains and every year adding xxxx names and removing similar number, this strategy might make huge difference. Eventually, you might identify 1000 names that average $30/year and those will pay renewals for 3500+ names.

•••
Makes no difference only thing it does is give you some data to compare with previous experiences. Eg a killer type in is utter gold and you shut up when you get them and start structuring around it. The only two things to think about is can you make money with it or can you sell it to make money. If it is hot for clicks it will sell fast should you share the data. Domainers will give development a go when they earn a bit parking.

Last edited:
•••
you never know who's been watching a domain ready to buy as soon as they see it's for sale. Or how much they are willing to pay for that matter.
Check out white.com
The Uni PPC lander is clean, and it's impossible to miss it's for sale.
sedo and afternic its too busy and you could miss it or close the page before you see it.
In this case when you click the for sale banner it redirects to domainnamesales.com but you could have it redirect to the clean uniregistry lander like black.com. You could even have BIN there if you wanted to.
So in that case it doesn't hurt to leave it on PPC for a month.
If you use sedo or afternic thats another story.

•••
Check out white.com
The Uni PPC lander is clean, and it's impossible to miss it's for sale.
sedo and afternic its too busy and you could miss it or close the page before you see it.
In this case when you click the for sale banner it redirects to domainnamesales.com but you could have it redirect to the clean uniregistry lander like black.com. You could even have BIN there if you wanted to.
So in that case it doesn't hurt to leave it on PPC for a month.
If you use sedo or afternic thats another story.

You know what's interesting about that one.

White.com on my Firefox, no ad blocker, goes to PPC landing page with a link on top to inquire. I had that kind of setup with Voodoo. PPC ads, link on top. I get more offers with a straight offer page, which does result in more sales. I've tried both. Everybody should experiment and get their own results. But I saw somebody mention this a couple of years ago and it made sense. That one I see white.com in my address bar.

White.com on my Chrome with has as ad blocker, goes to a page that looks totally different, no ads of course and it says:
Complete this form to get a free quote on
White.com:
This one starts with https://domainnamesales.com in front

I guess they have kind of setup where they see an ad blocker and it goes to another page?

Last edited:
•••
I use Google Analytics and can get that info.

Do you have to add each domain to google analytics in order to get the traffic number? What if you have 1000 names?

•••
Do you have to add each domain to google analytics in order to get the traffic number? What if you have 1000 names?

You could automate the process by writing a script. I'll do it for you for a price?

•••
I wonder why a ppc page hasn't been put up for gold.com?

The main issue I can see with PPC lander pages is trademark infringement.

Also a straightforward BIN or make offer page is simple and more professional than ads.

Wondering if domain owners can see stats on for sale pages?

•••
i don't take domaining advice from Rick Schwartz for the same reason i don't take dating advice from Leonardo DiCaprio :)

•••
I prefer ParkingCrew and Bodis PPC lander...
Tried Bodis autoredirect to Offer Form - no any real gain in terms of sales, just more lowball offers...

•••
My friend sold .LY domain for $32K which wasn't even parked (inactive domain, blank error page).
He was contacted via WHOIS.

p.s. If domain is quality - endusers will find you even under the ground...

•••
My friend sold .LY domain for $32K which wasn't even parked (inactive domain, blank error page).
He was contacted via WHOIS.

p.s. If domain is quality - endusers will find you even under the ground...
I completely agree with that, but I think it is also true that the more seamless it is for someone to stumble upon your domain name the higher the chances it will sell. I suspect that most domain names do not have someone looking for them, even though many of them would have someone interested in them if they knew about them.
Bob

•••
The more you demonstrate that you want to sell your domain - the weaker your position in negotiations... the lower final result.

•••
It is interesting that @Rick Schwartz indicated on Twitter (along with a poll he is conducting) that he had never sold any domain name through a lander! Of course he is very firm on high prices!

If you want to vote in the poll it is at this link:
https://twitter.com/DomainKing/status/1182600666721804288?s=20

Interesting that many respondents have never sold a $5000+ domain via a lander.

Bob

•••
Well having a clear way for buyers to contact you is not necessarily a demonstration in desperation..its a good first step in negotiations.

Of course Jurgen you have a point- if I've got my domain buried under obscurity and a buyer still manages to find me for an offer, it might put me in a stronger position but there are no guarantees of it closing, plus the trust factor is affected. It must be built from virtually out of nothing.

•••
Clear way at Bodis/ParkingCrew.
I don't understand why I must throw my money at various intermediaries like Sedo, Dan etc.

Last edited:
•••
I park on Sedo only some BIN domains...
I park on Dan only those where I don't want to negotiate directly for various reasons.

•••
In Feb I sold .ONE for $5K exactly via ParkingCrew PPC lander with just link to their PLAIN Contact Form (no offer field).

•••
Back