Dynadot

information What the word "venue" means for domainers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

blue crystal

Established Member
Impact
If some site informs that a given domain name was sold, does the "venue" item information indicates the name of the registrar where the domain name is registered -or- the name of the site whose marketplace sold this domain name ?

Additionally, if the domainer sells a domain name directly to a end-user through a email or telephone negotiation, what the "venue" information means in this case ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Venue is usually the marketplace the domain sold through. (GoDaddy, NameJet, SEDO, Drop Catch, etc.)

The vast majority of direct end user sales are not going to be reported to sites like NameBio.
I would assume "private" is the listing for the ones that are reported.

Brad

•••
The vast majority of direct end user sales are not going to be reported to sites like NameBio.

Brad, the sale record of the domainn name sold directly to the end user is not reported even by the registrar where the domain was registered ?

•••
Brad, the sale record of the domainn name sold directly to the end user is not reported even by the registrar where the domain was registered ?

Not unless it is via a venue that reports sales.

A typical private sale goes something like this -

- Someone contacts the domain owner via a contact form or WHOIS email.
- After negotiation, a price is agreed to.
- The deal is closed via Escrow.com or some other agreed upon payment method.

That type of sale is not reported unless one of the parties chooses to manually report it.

The vast majority of all domain sales are never reported.

Brad

Last edited:
•••

Since the probability to sell a domain name is bigger through direct contact with the end-user then by inference, it should be obvious that most domain names are not reported ( which I already had assumed previously, but being a newbie I always need confirmation for my assumptions ).
This is a shame because we do not get information on the end-user prices so that we then could estimate the prices of our own domains.

Last edited:
•••

True. Not a single one of my sales has ever been reported...ever.

That's why all these bots that use previous sales data as the single source to 'value' a domain are not worth a glass of stagnant water. It is only one metric that should be considered when determining the value of a name.

•••
Domain name sale is private between seller and buyer, except both side make a Press Conference :D

•••
as the single source to 'value' a domain
Do any use only sales data in their valuations? Maybe there are, but certainly the most common two automated appraisal methods do not use only that (one uses it much more dominantly than the other, of course).

Also, just because you do not have all data does not mean that you do not have useful data, necessarily. For example in weather we clearly don't have stations at every point on Earth nor for every minute in time, but we do have a global network that can be used for many purposes.

That being said, all data have significant biases that must be taken into account, or at least recognized as introducing uncertainties.

Bob

•••
Do any use only sales data in their valuations?

There is one that uses past sales as the only 'real' metric although they say there are others taken into consideration...one of the two I believe you speak of will add previous sales in...I generally like it more than most...but it does not seem to pick up on trends well. Not sure how they have it programmed...perhaps it takes the top and bottom sales number and throws them out. There is one bot going thru an upgrade and I think it may become a bit more accurate...we should know in a couple of months.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back