Domain Empire

What should I do with 1.5K $

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NetworkPearl

Top Member
Impact
So I have 1.5K $ to invest but not sure what to buy.

Should I buy a single 1 word domain and hold it off or buy few domain through the aftermarket.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Buy lottery tickets, everyone seems to think domaiming is easy

•••
A short 4L.com like Xewu.com in theory "looks good" and should retain value, ceteris paribus.

But again, what if market conditions don't stay the same and demand declines, which then deflates prices. Just looking through the recently closed auctions on Flippa I saw a 4L.com close for only $400 even though the seller posted examples of similar domains that sold for $1000+.

Today we already see what happens when the ECB fails, driving both the EUR up (which they didn't want to do) and gold higher (meaning investors are headed away from risk assets and towards safe haven stores of value).

To use the "Xewu.com" example, it would be appealing to Chinese investors with hot cash to burn, but what happens without them to support demand. They are having issues (from what I understand) with their economy and the gov't is cracking down on capital outflows.

All these factors matter. As someone who has only been on the selling side, I cannot fathom paying $1500 for 1 or 2 domains. I would much rather use that cash to buy physical gold if looking for something to retain value, which I'm doing, and I would rather put in the work and creativity to find new or pending drop domains.

For example, I saw "giddi.com" close for about $200 on GoDaddy auctions. I had my eye on that because my former employer owned it in his portfolio and let it expire. The auction is no longer publicly available but you can look up the whois if you're curious. That's an example of 1 domain that's affordable and with higher resale value.

•••
$1500 Dollars is a lot of money. Therefore is seems wise to compare and contrast alternatives that are even outside the realm of domains. Good cases can be made for buying gold, or even silver, or my FAV spread, longSilver/short Platinum (super long term); also for remaining in cash and/or just waiting (in a deflationary environment, saved money is worth more later); or one of my FAVs, the stock market (I bot MDBX @ .0097 yesterday, hoping to catch a low, only to see it @ .0075 today); I have even seen an interesting piece of real estate offered for $500.00 (I am kicking myself for not buying, but only time will tell if the new owner ends up a winner). This is beginning to be an interesting discussion ;)

•••
Right now the fastest elevator about to explode is the llll.org chips After initially shooting up after all bookings about four months ago ,Some of the sale junkies pushed the market down with thousands of rounds of amo,reacting to time decay and potentially having to renew the domains for four times the Registrars sale price ,instead they bailed at around 15 bucks, Most takers were in fact chinese investors and some of the sellers were members on this site. Prices are starting to rise again ,thing is to get any supply you will have to pay around 40-50 bucks ,if you compete with drops at godaddy you may get a few at 30 bucks ,all this being said ,you can expect these to explode at the end of the year after you have more selling at the 50-75 level from the last buyers before closeouts ,so bang for buck value start picking some up now and scale up buy them any chance you get. IMO a year from now your looking at 250-350 each. Good Luck ben

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
I'd spend some time learning how to find Geo/Industry .com and a few two keyword domains that make sense. Target a few large cities with expireddomains.net searches and filtered for deleted and expiring domains, then gradually build a portfolio.

If you study a little bit first and pick good city/industry or state/industry domains. You can turn that 1,500 to a portfolio of a 150 names that you can gain the experience of contacting and selling to endusers. Unless you buy absolute crap, It would be pretty hard to strike out and not at least make your money back offering these names for low to high $xxx a piece.

I dont see how you get anything (experience or educational value added) out of buying a liquid domain for 1k plus and flipping it maybe to double up if the price happens to go up in the next year.

I think learning to how really dig for gems, find end users, approach end users, and negotiate sales will prove to be more valuable than trading to other domainers. Learn the basics then start buying more expensive domains with the returns and experience.

Thats exactly how I got started with about $200 and a bunch of godaddy coupon codes a couple of years ago, and have been stacking up my account and portfolio with house money ever since.
Geo names are too hard to sell easy to buy after a while after you accumulate a few hundred of them you will start paying about 30 bucks a day renewing your portfolio and if you work hard you may sell one or two for 300 every month ,that model just don't work ,that's why they are easy to buy. Stick with what is liquid and trading up , If you want to buy geos ,I can sell you a gaggle of them cheap,learn from my stupidity

•••
So I have 1.5K $ to invest but not sure what to buy.

Should I buy a single 1 word domain and hold it off or buy few domain through the aftermarket.

See ,I would suggest you to invest in one/two word descriptive generic premium domains with popular extensions.It doesn't matter whether these domains are hand reg. or bought from after market.Since such kind of domains are always valuable with the web space increasing with each single day.What you do today decides what you're going to get in future.Since maybe what isn't in demand today might be selling for huge prices in the end user market in the coming time.That is what investment is all about.

•••
Or you could put in an offer for my site (in my signature) :P

If you know how the monetize the traffic properly it would be an awesome investment for you. If you are not sure how to monetize the traffic then it's probably not the best investment for if you want a quick return on investment.

•••
I'm new to NamePros but I'm already addicted. I've spent the better part of the day reading tons of threads. I have two suggestions: If you're not an active domainer then purchase a quality LLLL.com and just sit on it. If you are active then I recommend godaddy closeouts. I've picked up many hidden gems there. For example, I purchased LibertyCannabis.com for $9 and a little over a year later sold it for $800.
Sick flip bro. Pics or it didn't happen. Kidding. Yeah it looks like 4L's are getting cheaper but best to pick one with vowels, ideally.

•••
Chips my friend. Research, buy in bulk offload. Rinse and repeat. Take out from some of the profit after third round, invest in 1 or 2 solid ones to hold.
5L chips?

•••
Don't buy chips.

I'd also argue that you should do hella research first because the quickest way to lose money is to go in blind.
What's your suggestion?

•••
Depends how important the $1500 is to you. I'm thinking it's pretty important hence the post.

Stay away from domains that are considered liquid now but had no value 1 year ago.

Be prepared. Spend on 1-3 good names instead of frittering it away on 20-30 iffy ones. Buy stuff that makes sense in your first language/ area of expertise.

One of the biggest mistakes I see is basic English speakers registering correctly spelled but badly phrased domains.
thanks ,names from the after market?

•••
•••
•••
•••
Play to your strengths and only invest into something you have had previous success with.

•••
•••
thanks ,names from the after market?

Yes aftermarket. Hand reging is for seasoned pro's. All the obvious stuff went years ago.

•••
I think if you stick to some decent 2 word brandables and leave the chips in the bag for now you will do ok.

•••
•••
•••
Auto store? If you can get it going with high traff... Many store scripts - Inbox!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back