IT.COM

question What registrar is now the best one domainers use?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

Ive been out of the game for a while and just went to renew my names at godaddy and seems my domain club expired and now the renewal prices are insane and no coupons.

SO, What is the registrar people use now who own over 100 names? Ever since lost my VIP rep godaddy has been downhill.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have one name with uni. b/c i bought a domain that was reg. there. Have not really messed around there much though. Anywhere has to be better than Godaddy though. They hook people with their .99 .com's then charge them 11.99/yr $56 for SSL, $7 for whois privacy.

•••
Epik.com legendary customer service

•••
Name.com Godaddy.com . I would not recommend namesilo. I lost all my domains there because I forgot my security question password. Then I got email saying they was going to auction my domains off. Stay away from namesilo unless your sure you will never forget your password.

Godaddy did that to me because I created a second account. I didn't forget my password, they just locked it b/c they thought the name was fake No refund, do not pass go. I'll never use godaddy again after that. That and their hosting is pretty slow.

Did you guys try providing ID proof? It's shocking to know that you lost all your names just because you forgot your secret question answer or created 2nd account.

I had similar issue with Name.com, but I got my account back by providing copy of ID and answering few questions (last transaction details etc).

Last edited:
•••
Did you guys try providing ID proof? It's shocking to know that you lost all your names just because you forgot your secret question answer or created 2nd account.

I had similar issue with Name.com, but I got my account back by providing copy of ID and answering few questions (last transaction details etc).

Yep, used my wifes name. I still ended up with the domain as I reg'd it with another registrar as soon as they locked that account up. I've registered domains in my dogs name at a couple places and had no problem. Godaddy is a joke at my opinion. With all the money they make, i think their layout is pretty behind as well. While I am working toward the same similar goal, that does not affect my opinion in one bit. I'd recommend may other registrars over them. I guess with all the other options, I just don't see how they still maintain their sales numbers as high as they do. With companies such as Ns, NB which has the easiest to use DNS available in the market. DNS records were always my biggest challenge. When i reg my first name there, it was a breeze to change my dns. I'm seeking to find a domain management program similar to theirs for my platform. Hard to believe these better options are so unknown. I didn't find out about ns until I ran across a coupon code while searching for one for godaddy. I think I discovered NB from a topic here on np. Just goes to show the power of marketing. There is one worse than them and that is 1 & 1. Then you have one other than I won't name since I think the owner is a member here. You can not even change your dns settings without contacting customer service. I've had it out with them. Two hours to add mx records which got added incorrectly. Finally just said screw it and the domain is sitting. I'll eventually transfer it out, but you have to contact customer support for that too. Point being, we have some damn good registrars in existence and in my opinion Godaddy doesn't even make the top 5. Anybody know the statistics on the percentage of domains are owned by domainers? Why do so many domainers still use Godaddy? Once again, this is all my own opinion which I know, everyone has.

•••
yes it is shocking that namesilo would take my domains and auction them off because I forgot the answer to my security question. They would not verify me by email or call me , as my email and phone number was listed as my contact details as the account holder at namesilo. They would not call or email the account owner, which was me. Instead they said I could not access my domains after numerous hours with support trying to get them to call the account holder or email the account holder which was me. They would do neither. The only way I could have gotten my account back was to remember my forgotten security question answer.

Then weeks later they did email me to say they was going to auction off my domains because I could not renwew them since they would not send me password reset link to the account holder.
I would make sure you write down the answer to security question password about 5 times and put in different places so you will make sure you wont forget or lose the answer. I tried to show proof of purchase of domain I had in my account and they would not accept it.

Last edited:
•••
NameCheap, Epik, and GoDaddy - mostly.

•••
eWall host is less than $6 now . . .

•••
eWall host is less than $6 now . . .
Agreed eWallHost best bargain for .coms at the moment that I know of. Just don't really like the functionality of the site much.

GoDaddy and NameCheap are my preferred registrars.

Last edited:
•••
Agreed eWallHost best bargain for .coms at the moment that I know of. Just don't really like the functionality of the site much.

GoDaddy and NameCheap are my preferred registrars.
Agreed! Trying to update whois contact via bulk changes=impossible. now cust svs is slow

•••
•••
•••
NameSilo
Epik
NameBright.. (with this one forget about Support.. I have contacted them 2/3 times.. almost 2 weeks ago - Yet to hear any reply.. AWFUL..)

Most of my domains are with NameSilo.. and i'm transferring in from most other registrars..

if... what @DreamZ55 says is true.. Then it's a very big concern..

@namesilo - Could you please clarify??

Last edited:
•••
•••
@kandyan , why don't you call support and ask if they can send you a password reset link by verification of your phone number or email on your namesilo account. The answer is no, they will not verify you through contacting your email or phone number listed under your namesilo account. In my case I tried to get them to call me and email me by my contact info on my namesilo account. They refused to verify me this way which I never understood why they couldn't call account holder and email account holder to verify them. I did not come here to make a scene or start drama. I just wanted to share my experience and offer advice to write down you security password and never forget it. I would not want to see someone lose their domains because they forgot their security question answer. I forgot my password numerous times with other registrars and was always to get verified by account email or phone number listed under my account. When managing hundreds or even thousands of domains in 10+ registrars its easy to forget a password or answer to security question.

•••
•••
@kandyan , why don't you call support and ask if they can send you a password reset link by verification of your phone number or email on your namesilo account. The answer is no, they will not verify you through contacting your email or phone number listed under your namesilo account. In my case I tried to get them to call me and email me by my contact info on my namesilo account. They refused to verify me this way which I never understood why they couldn't call account holder and email account holder to verify them. I did not come here to make a scene or start drama. I just wanted to share my experience and offer advice to write down you security password and never forget it. I would not want to see someone lose their domains because they forgot their security question answer. I forgot my password numerous times with other registrars and was always to get verified by account email or phone number listed under my account. When managing hundreds or even thousands of domains in 10+ registrars its easy to forget a password or answer to security question.

# Thank you very much for Alerting us, Especially me.. coz I'm moving all my domains - closer to 1k.. to NameSilo..

# I did not question your integrity? I didn't know the other side of the story.. that's why i Used the word - If what you said was True-

# Whatever the story.. You did me a Favor.. at least to remember my Security details... ;)

## So Please take no offense.. Thank you and Appreciate your info.(y)

Best
Kandyan.

•••
@pluto459 - are you looking for service, ease of interface or price?

Best Price:
No one has mentioned the super discounts at the domfam - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster, transfer dot COM for around $6 IF you wait for the promos.

Best Interface and Service, 2nd best price:
Otherwise personally have the Epik $8.10 Wire/PreFund deal

Technically NameBright has $8.03 so for flat rate they are pennies different than Epik, my choice is since Epik has built in Marketplace with super low 5% fees and awesome service.

Worst Interface: NameCheap

•••
Hello. I wanted to join this thread as our process for recovering account with lost passwords has been called into question. I am not sure what account @DreamZ55 is referring to, but I would invite you to PM us here, or, better yet, please email [email protected]. We have a process to get back into accounts even when the password AND the answer to the security question are not known. Of course, in such circumstances, extra validation is required as not knowing your password and not knowing the answer to your security question raise flags about identity and trying to gain improper access to an account. We therefore, require completion of the process described here: https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Password-Retrieval. Once that process is completed, we then send a reset link to the email address on file for the account holder. We have had this same process in place since the inception of our company over 7 years ago, and I am personally not aware of any time in which an account holder could not regain access to their account. We do not treat email as a lone secure method of proof of identity as email addresses can be hacked, and in many cases hacked email addresses are used to gain improper account access. This is why we have an extra step to prove identity other than simply sending an email out to the account holder when the password AND the answer to the account security question are not known. If we did so, anybody who hacked an email account could contact us and get a reset link to the account. We are currently working on integrating SMS as another option for account retrieval as well.

We take account/domain security VERY seriously. It is at least a weekly occurrence in which we are contacted by scammers looking to gain access to accounts/domains trying many different methods to get into accounts that are not theirs. Things like social engineering, threats of lawsuits, DDoS attacks, contacting our legal representatives, forging court orders, etc. are just a few of the ways in which scammers attempt to gain access to accounts. We therefore keep a strict policy on following our procedures to the letter and do not deviate. It is these procedures and polices that are a few of the biggest reasons that you won't read anywhere about our systems or customer service allowing improper access to accounts and our customers losing their domains (this is certainly unfortunately not the case with many other registrars).

When things like passwords and the answer to the security question are not known, or access to the email address on file with us is not available, we feel extra validation steps are both prudent and required. As noted above, we have a documented process for retrieving accounts even in that situation.

Many people on this thread and others throughout NamePros have used us for a long time, and I would imagine this is the first anybody has heard about such an issue, as it is the first time I am personally aware of it as well. I again invite @DreamZ55 to contact us directly so that we can review what occurred since what has been described is certainly quite abnormal and we would like an opportunity to research to see what happened. Thanks

Last edited:
•••

Is there a way that you have found to be able to house all of your domains in one place? I would like to do that myself. The problem is right now eWallhost is less than $6, I won't pay Uniregistry $9. I paid Uniregistry $9 when I was unaware of eWall and GoDaddy was 14. See how cycle goes?

•••
•••
Every guy is such a fan of namesilo. Lol I went thru hell there trying to get my xxxx back from a expired auction after the domain was renewed. I think their marketplace sucks too. I completely aviod them now. I like gd interface the best. There customer service. But there ddc is a ripp off. Also make sure you don't get stuck getting payments in good as gold you will have to pay to get your money back. I never had any issues at name.com I use them enom and dynadot

Last edited:
•••
Every guy is such a fan of namesilo. Lol I went thru hell there trying to get my xxxx back from a expired auction after the domain was renewed. I think their marketplace sucks too. I completely aviod them now. I like gd interface the best. There customer service. But there ddc is a ripp off. Also make sure you don't get stuck getting payments in good as gold you will have to pay to get your money back. I never had any issues at name.com I use them enom and dynadot

Hello @imadoer. We are very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our system and I would like an opportunity to research to see what happened. We are always looking for ways to improve our systems and processes so if you would like, please PM me or email [email protected] and we will be happy to take a look to see how we can improve. Sorry again to hear you had a bad experience.

•••
•••
Is there a way that you have found to be able to house all of your domains in one place? I would like to do that myself. The problem is right now eWallhost is less than $6, I won't pay Uniregistry $9. I paid Uniregistry $9 when I was unaware of eWall and GoDaddy was 14. See how cycle goes?
Comparing Uniregistry to eWall is apples to oranges. eWall is not an ICANN-accredited registrar - they are a reseller which uses a WHMCS template. The $6 price is a promo for a first year registration only. Transfers in are $9.49 and renewals are $11.99. If you want WHOIS privacy, it's another $1.49. So, if you keep your domain for 2 or more years, you end up paying more than Uniregistry's $8.88 pricing and get a less robust platform.

If you want a professional platform to manage your domains on, Uniregistry has it with the best mobile apps, Uniregistry Market and no "gotcha" pricing.

Last edited:
•••
Comparing Uniregistry to eWall is apples to oranges. eWall is not an ICANN-accredited registrar - they are a reseller which uses a WHMCS template. The $6 price is a promo for a first year registration only. Transfers in are $9.49 and renewals are $11.99. If you want WHOIS privacy, it's another $1.49. So, if you keep your domain for 2 or more years, you end up paying more than Uniregistry's $8.88 pricing and get a less robust platform.

If you want a professional platform to manage your domains on, Uniregistry has it with the best mobile apps, Uniregistry Market and no "gotcha" pricing.

If the goal is to sell the domains within the first year then it is still more expensive to go Uniregistry. I like Uni!! I have over 100 domains there. I'm not going to pay more to register there. Now when it is time to renew I'll have a good spot to transfer to, the ones that I renew anyways!!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back