IT.COM

advice What Metrics Are Most Important To You When Purchasing A Domain Name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What-Metrics-Are-Most-Important-To-You-When-Purchasing-A-Domain-Name.jpg

if you aren’t using filters to clean up your lists I have NO idea how you do it.

I read some people only like to look at AGED domains but I never wanted to put this into my filter because...

Read more

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1 ive got to like it myself
2 is it a .com
3 must be easy to pronounce
4 short prefeably if brandable
or profession sector either .com and or cctld
5 must be reg fee
6 free of trademarks

but whole process doesnt take very long at all

•••
I look at everything. Search volume, advertiser competition, cpc rates, length, age, link popularity, and whether taken in other tlds.

•••
after the name speaks for itself, then i listen to what my gut has to say

:)

imo....

•••
Gut feeling is of course decisive.
I also look at the price :lookaround:

•••
Ai usually know price - $10 approx

it has to be a bit decent to spend $50 on a name

•••
My first filter is I must be able to relate to the name and its use

Others are,
Other extensions taken/possible end users
Search vol
Competition
CPC
Length
Max of two words (I ignore this sometimes)

•••

Others are,
Search vol
Competition
CPC
Length

•••
•••
Common sense! Can a real business put it to use?

•••
Brandable, short and exact match keywords (EMD)

•••
i see for some key points:
1) it should be atleast 10 years old.
2) have a catchy name
3) its appraisal value should be high.
4) preferably a .com

•••
Hi there,

I actually saw your YouTube video and that's way i'm here.
I was having trouble selling my domains and thus followed your advice on being able to sell it here hopefully.

•••
Hi there,

I was having trouble selling my domains and thus followed your advice on being able to sell it here hopefully.
Welcome to namepros Honeylee,
My names have to be representative of real products, real services, and a very occasionl brandable
Joe T

•••
This is what I ask myself when grabbing brand type domains:
Would you call your company that?
Does it make sense?
Does it sound right?
Is it memorable?
Does it pass the radio test?
Are there easy alternatives?

In the past I was very much into EMDs for buildout and SEO. Did really well till Google updated algo in 2012. Now I try to focus more on brandables.

•••
I don't use any tools as I buy domains for end user sales and not for domain parking. I can scan a huge a list of domains and pick out those with potential rather quickly. I usually look for...

.com
does the word combo make sense
does the domain describe a profitable business product or service with end users available
would I want this domain if I was in the business or are there readily available better alternatives
would an end user pay 1k+ for this domain as my range is generally in the 1-10k range with a few below and a few well above that range

I'd look at tools/metrics more if my goal was PPC earnings but honestly in 14 years of selling domains I don't ever recall an end user asking me for traffic stats. Whenever I see that request it's from a domainer and that's not typically my buyers. I'll buy domains at domain forums but the goal isn't to sell them there. I've sold $8 acquisitions for 1-10k+ on domains with minimal/zero traffic and have never been asked about statistics as long as the domain makes sense for their objective they'll buy.

So my goal is end user sales only and trying to turn $8 into 1-10k+ and rare I ever price any domain under $900+ because if I don't think a business would pay 1k+ for it I try not to own it.

Only tools I might use is Google for end user prospects and a trademark search before pulling the trigger. Automated appraisal tools generally make new domainers waste their money and the registrars rich as common sense trumps any possible metrics an automated tool can provide.

Last edited:
•••
The domain name itself (including tld)....

•••
1 ive got to like it myself
2 is it a .com
3 must be easy to pronounce
4 short prefeably if brandable
or profession sector either .com and or cctld
5 must be reg fee
6 free of trademarks

but whole process doesnt take very long at all

Thanks for sharing what you look for. I look for a lot of the same!

I look at everything. Search volume, advertiser competition, cpc rates, length, age, link popularity, and whether taken in other tlds.

Same here. Search Volume and TLD's regged are big for me.

after the name speaks for itself, then i listen to what my gut has to say

:)

imo....

;)

Agreed, the GUT has a huge influence in buying decisions!

Gut feeling is of course decisive.
I also look at the price :lookaround:

Go with the GUT!

Ai usually know price - $10 approx

it has to be a bit decent to spend $50 on a name

Thanks for sharing!

Others are,
Search vol
Competition
CPC
Length

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people look for similar things as to what you mentioned. Good stuff.

brandable, short and .com ;)

Can't go wrong with that!

Common sense! Can a real business put it to use?

YES, I agree. If it has business appeal than it's worth looking further into.

Brandable, short and exact match keywords (EMD)

Sounds like money to me! Thanks!

i see for some key points:
1) it should be atleast 10 years old.
2) have a catchy name
3) its appraisal value should be high.
4) preferably a .com

Thanks for the detailed metrics you look for! I usually don't go for what the appraisal says but if it works for you than thats great!

Hi there,

Hey! Thanks for checking out our youtube vids! More coming in the near future. ;)

This is what I ask myself when grabbing brand type domains:
Would you call your company that?
Does it make sense?
Does it sound right?
Is it memorable?
Does it pass the radio test?
Are there easy alternatives?

In the past I was very much into EMDs for buildout and SEO. Did really well till Google updated algo in 2012. Now I try to focus more on brandables.

Yeah, I got hit with several Google Algo changes over the years before I figured out not to base my business off Google. Best decision ever... =)

I don't use any tools as I buy domains for end user sales and not for domain parking. I can scan a huge a list of domains and pick out those with potential rather quickly. I usually look for...

.com
does the word combo make sense
does the domain describe a profitable business product or service with end users available
would I want this domain if I was in the business or are there readily available better alternatives
would an end user pay 1k+ for this domain as my range is generally in the 1-10k range with a few below and a few well above that range

I'd look at tools/metrics more if my goal was PPC earnings but honestly in 14 years of selling domains I don't ever recall an end user asking me for traffic stats. Whenever I see that request it's from a domainer and that's not typically my buyers. I'll buy domains at domain forums but the goal isn't to sell them there. I've sold $8 acquisitions for 1-10k+ on domains with minimal/zero traffic and have never been asked about statistics as long as the domain makes sense for their objective they'll buy.

So my goal is end user sales only and trying to turn $8 into 1-10k+ and rare I ever price any domain under $900+ because if I don't think a business would pay 1k+ for it I try not to own it.

Only tools I might use is Google for end user prospects and a trademark search before pulling the trigger. Automated appraisal tools generally make new domainers waste their money and the registrars rich as common sense trumps any possible metrics an automated tool can provide.

Thanks for the detailed response! I love the idea of turning $8 into $xxx or even $x,xxx. That's a wonderful ROI!

Scanning an entire list without some sort of filter though is a incredible tough task. My hats off to you if you can look through an expiring list without ANY filter...lol. That's superhuman!

The domain name itself (including tld)....

Thanks for sharing!

•••
i prefer buying direct from a registrar at cost price

i guess my domains usually

but i actualy enjoy the searching for a domain as much as owning it

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back