IT.COM

discuss What is your .CO Sales Experience For Two Words Domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hello,

Just out of curiosity, I will like to know what your sales experience are like for .co domain names, especially two words.

Are they selling? Are people interested in buying them? Do you think there is a good end user demand for such domain names?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a decent one that has been reported sold in nothing less than 4 extension with minimum price sold @500, but am yet to get any response from my outbound marketing.

•••
I have owned Cider/co, Radish/co, Dino/co amongst others in the past. I sold Dino/co and Radish/co from inbound enquiries. But those were the only two to ever receive enquiries. Can't say I'm too big of a fan of .co. Gave it a go and made some money, but I feel if I had so much trouble getting offers on top one words, not sure two words could do that well.

Would love someone to prove me wrong of course, but I don't see much demand for two word .co's.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Few months ago I tried to sell my Dental/Equipment.co to the owner of Used/Dental/Equipment.net (he owns the .com too). He told me he is not interested due to the .co extension. He wanted the .com (Frank S. want 100k for it, my asking price was $ 1,800). I gave him about 8 sample developed websites, US and CA business based, in his field, which are doing very well with .co. He was not interested.

•••
Looking at https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-582#post-6544938 it shows that @Nikul Sanghvi have great success in selling 2 word .co domains like:

gocrypto dot co ... $3k
Sold via Sedo, Make Offer. (Opening offer was $1k, my counter offer was accepted)
Handreg in Oct 2017

self-learning dot com ... $3k

Sold via Sedo, Make Offer. (Accepted opening offer)
Bought in Nov 2016 for $1k (in hindsight, I overpaid for a hyphen)

coldwallet dot co ... $2.5k

Sold via Afternic, BIN
Handreg in Aug 2017

stockbridge dot co ... $2k

Sold via Sedo, Make Offer. (Opening offer was $500, I countered at $3k and buyer returned with $2k)
Handreg in Nov 2017

bookkeep dot co ... $2k

Sold via Sedo, Make Offer. (Buyer offered asking price)
Handreg in May 2017

brightmedia dot co ... $850

Sold via Sedo, Make Offer
Handreg in Oct 2017, a month before sale

Looking at those above sales, it seems 2 word .co are doing pretty well. Though I avoid buying 2 words and invest only in 3L and 1 word .co domains.

•••
I stick to one word and LLL as Abdul has said but only a few as the renewal prices kill it for me. Have sold a one word for xxxx in the past and had a few enquiries on another. I wouldn't even consider two word .cos really.

•••
I also found outbound quite hard on .co and stopped doing it.
Inbound is a numbers game and it's reasonably resource heavy in both investment and time.

I've developed a specific strategy that drives my buying/regging decisions. On the whole, it ignores one word vs two words and focuses on a range of other factors, many of which are detailed in this post:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-567#post-6484675

I'd love to provide a specific step-by-step guide to how I do it, but that will dilute any small advantage that I have ;) However, I'll do my best to explain in more detail.

The purpose of the method is to look for .co domains that have a higher propensity to sell. To estimate sale-propensity, I've hypothesised that propensity increases with the likelihood of a domain pairing against the name of an existing business entity. This means going beyond traditional keywords and focusing more on business names that are widely used. (Note: this doesn't ever mean going after a specific businesses, especially a trademarked or unique brand. It is simply the search for a generic word or set of words that is commonly used as a business name).
With that in mind, if you have one word rather than two, it generally increases the breadth of application and reduces specificity. However, sometimes that exactness contains that brand value and those two words have more meaning than one alone. Eg. Cold vs ColdWallet

In the list shared above by @AbdulBasit.com , the domains 'StockBridge', 'BookKeep' and 'BrightMedia' mean nothing to me but they came up in my daily search list. I manually validate around 30 domains each day from this filter (search list). It takes between 1 and 3 minutes per domain in the list and I end up buying between 5 to 15.

As an example: during validation, the data says that Stockbridge is taken in most major tlds and there are 25+ matching business names on Linkedin (ignoring any companies that haven't uploaded a logo).
A quick search on the People tab on Twitter shows that it's also surname. The disambiguation page on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockbridge) lists a range of locations in UK & US that also share this name, so the potential business count increases because lots of business names include city/town/village. A final search on Google (for stockbridge*.co*) validates it's occurrence on/within a range of domains across the first two or three pages. Even if it isn't an existing entity that buys the domain, the broad usage of the term within company names also gives a higher likelihood that in the future, new entities might also contain 'stockbridge' in their name.

For me, when a domain isn't a .com, it doesn't matter that a domain is keyword rich or has great PPC.
I also expect the value of direct type-in traffic to any .co to be minimal. The importance of keywords in the domain for SEO/SERP ranking is debatable as well, so I focus away from that too.
My experience has been that if the .co doesn't match a generic business name, it makes it harder to sell. This is true even if it is keyword rich and/or highly descriptive of the primary activity or product of the business.

Linking some additional things that I've previously shared about .co below:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/dot-co-confusion.1033963/#post-6293060

Lastly, don't forget that it's still a numbers game... whether you have 100 domains or 10,000. So the method above improves my inventory sell-through-rate but I still have plenty of domains that I reg which end up getting dropped or renewed at a higher cost!

Last edited:
•••
I also found outbound quite hard on .co and stopped doing it.
Inbound is a numbers game and it's reasonably resource heavy in both investment and time.

I've developed a specific strategy that drives my buying/regging decisions. On the whole, it ignores one word vs two words and focuses on a range of other factors, many of which are detailed in this post:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-567#post-6484675

I'd love to provide a specific step-by-step guide to how I do it, but that will dilute any small advantage that I have ;) However, I'll do my best to explain in more detail.

The purpose of the method is to look for .co domains that have a higher propensity to sell. To estimate sale-propensity, I've hypothesised that propensity increases with the likelihood of a domain pairing against the name of an existing business entity. This means going beyond traditional keywords and focusing more on business names that are widely used. (Note: this doesn't ever mean going after a specific businesses, especially a trademarked or unique brand. It is simply the search for a generic word or set of words that is commonly used as a business name).
With that in mind, if you have one word rather than two, it generally increases the breadth of application and reduces specificity. However, sometimes that exactness contains that brand value and those two words have more meaning than one alone. Eg. Cold vs ColdWallet

In the list shared above by @AbdulBasit.com , the domains 'StockBridge', 'BookKeep' and 'BrightMedia' mean nothing to me but they came up in my daily search list. I manually validate around 30 domains each day from this filter (search list). It takes between 1 and 3 minutes per domain in the list and I end up buying between 5 to 15.

As an example: during validation, the data says that Stockbridge is taken in most major tlds and there are 25+ matching business names on Linkedin (ignoring any companies that haven't uploaded a logo).
A quick search on the People tab on Twitter shows that it's also surname. The disambiguation page on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockbridge) lists a range of locations in UK & US that also share this name, so the potential business count increases because lots of business names include city/town/village. A final search on Google (for stockbridge*.co*) validates it's occurrence on/within a range of domains across the first two or three pages. Even if it isn't an existing entity that buys the domain, the broad usage of the term within company names also gives a higher likelihood that in the future, new entities might also contain 'stockbridge' in their name.

For me, when a domain isn't a .com, it doesn't matter that a domain is keyword rich or has great PPC.
I also expect the value of direct type-in traffic to any .co to be minimal. The importance of keywords in the domain for SEO/SERP ranking is debatable as well, so I focus away from that too.
My experience has been that if the .co doesn't match a generic business name, it makes it harder to sell. This is true even if it is keyword rich and/or highly descriptive of the primary activity or product of the business.

Linking some additional things that I've previously shared about .co below:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/dot-co-confusion.1033963/#post-6293060

Lastly, don't forget that it's still a numbers game... whether you have 100 domains or 10,000. So the method above improves my inventory sell-through-rate but I still have plenty of domains that I reg which end up getting dropped or renewed at a higher cost!
It looks like everybody has a different strategy. I've done well with my .co's, I've sold some like varan.co, simba.co or one of the names which you bought in january, parsec.co...I've sold it for mid xxx last year, but the buyer dropped it.

•••
It looks like everybody has a different strategy. I've done well with my .co, I've sold some like varan.co, simba.co or one of the names which you bought in january, parsec.co...I've sold it for mid xxx last year, but the buyer dropped it.

Simba and Parsec both score highly on my litmus test :)

But you're absolutely right, each one of us will have a different way of doing things. What works for one of us might not work for another. I wanted to share my experience openly so that anyone can take the bits that they like and apply it into their own strategy.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back